Anyone need a MacBook (Aluminium Unibody) Trackpad?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by SEAOFWOLVES, May 16, 2011.

1. SEAOFWOLVES macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

I think this is my first thread on here, just wanting to help someone who has the same problem I had.

My girlfriends 13" Macbook Aluminium Unibody (the model before they renamed them to 13" MacBook Pro's) and I stupidly spilt water on it one day meaning her "Tap-to-Click" no longer worked. She sent it to Apple for repair but it obviously had water damage so they wouldn't cover the cost under warranty (FML moment).

So I offered to replace it for her, bought the trackpad and the bloody-hard-to-find screwdrivers and had a go. Turns out it made no difference so it wasn't the trackpad that was faulty, it was something else. I swapped the trackpads back and sold it as faulty on eBay to a very happy eBayer.

So I am now stuck with a £30+ Trackpad (I am not 100% sure what the model number is sorry, I know it fit her laptop and would probably fit a 13" MacBook Pro fine) and I don't want to mess around on eBay trying to sell it.

If anyone is desperate (and lives in the UK) and needs this to save their life I will send the trackpad (not the screwdrivers sorry!) to them FREE-OF-CHARGE as I hope it will help someone out :)

2. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

Sounds like you need the whole top case, very common for liquid spills. iFixit has repair guides on replacing the top cover. It says it's difficult to do, but I've done several you just need to be very patient and follow the guides.

3. SEAOFWOLVES thread starter macrumors newbie

That MacBook is loooong gone, to a new loving home, I just want to give away the spare trackpad!

4. Mobius 1 macrumors 6502

i still have one of these macbooks

maybe send the trackpad to me :3 ?

well my friend at skool one day spilt 1/4 of my drinking water to my trackpad.

i disassembled it, let it dry and that's it problem fixed (wow)

my trackpad is a little loose tough the click to click is not working so well

will u plz give it to me ?

5. SEAOFWOLVES thread starter macrumors newbie

Do you live in the UK?

6. Goohfy macrumors regular

Goohfy

Just be careful with posting stuff like this, the forum doesn't allow posting Bout buying or selling, but since ur technically not doing that it should be fine.

7. unsolvable macrumors newbie

Hey, this is ridiculously nice of you. I think that my trackpad needs replacing, it's become really tough to click and unresponsive on one side. If the person who previously asked you doesn't live in the UK I'll happily take it off your hands.

If they do any chance you could link me to where you got it for £30? All the ones I'm finding are £50-60.

8. SEAOFWOLVES thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi mate,

It sounds like you might need to slightly loosen the triwing screw that is directly below your trackpad button (you have to remove the battery to get at it, it's easy to find it). You only have to loosen it a little to make the click much easier to...click.

Let me know if this doesn't work and I will send you the trackpad if you still want it :)

9. unsolvable macrumors newbie

Turns out you we're right - only the battery had swollen so much it had loosened the screws. New battery and some quick work with the screwdriver and it's good as new. Cheers

10. mnemonicj macrumors member

mnemonicj

i just wrecked my trackpad a few days ago. i would be more than happy to have it if it is still available.

11. Djhyper66 macrumors newbie

i have extra trackpad too

if anyone need a trackpad, i have extra one too, my trackpad for my 2008 macbook stop working , but it was becuase of loose screw, I bought a trackpad not knowing how simple the solution was. if anyone need a trackpad email me !!!! Djhyper66@hotmail.com