anyone not have applecare for ipod touch?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by iOrlando, Oct 6, 2008.

1. iOrlando macrumors 68000

I know all about exchanging old batteries for free with applecare....and the earphones and wall outlet plug adapater are included in the ipod applecare plan,but I am just curious if anyone doesnt have applecare and what the main reason is?

applecare will be what $50 these days? I havent checked in a few weeks to remember. So i am just thinking if its worth it.

Also i have version 1 ipod touch...if it breaks with applecare...you think I get newer version ? or no?

2. tremlock macrumors 6502a

tremlock

i dont have applecare. i upgraded to gen 2 a few weeks ago. Had my gen 1 since february so the original warranty hadnt even ran out. I tend to upgrade every year...so its not worth the extra for me....

3. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Applecare is available for purchase and activation within 1 calendar year of your date of purchase. The going price is actually $59.00.

The need to purchase a plan all depends on your experience with the iPod touch. Personally recommend waiting 6 to 9 months before buying it, as you may decide to upgrade or move on at a later date, and most don't really get their money back on a protection plan.

In the end, it is a bit of a gamble for some people, and worth the peace of mind for others to have it active!

[​IMG]

4. mzd macrumors 6502a

i'm planning on waiting until closer to the one year expiration date before i decide. i had some problems with my old iPod but they were all HDD based. those problems won't happen with touch. :)

5. aethelbert macrumors 601

No, you'd get a refurbished first generation model.

6. scotty96LSC macrumors 65816

scotty96LSC

7. bbeaton macrumors newbie

8. vanluuk macrumors member

does the applecare start after the original waranty or when you buy it?

if so :p wait 11 months...

if you live in europe... and you DONT buy @ apple you prob.. have 2 year waranty, yeah they wont tell you

apple prob tells the retailer they only do 1 year but the retailer must give 2 year waranty..

9. Melodic macrumors member

No applecare here yet. not until the one year warranty is up in January and them just maybe I'll get it. But knowing me I'll just upgrade to a gen 2

10. 184550 Guest

I've had three iPods, never had Applecare, never had any problems.

11. Eric Isaacson macrumors 6502

No Applecare here either and I do not plan on buying it on any future Apple products either.

12. Shotgun OS macrumors 6502a

I don't have it either, nor do I intend to buy it anytime on any Apple products in the future.

13. quick5pnt0 macrumors regular

Personally I think its a little silly to pay $60 for a warranty especially if you bought the 8gb model. That is more than 25% of the cost of the product. Would you pay $9,000 for a warranty on your $35,000 car especially if it was only for one year over the standard warranty? I wouldn't.

I guess for some people they'd rather have the piece of mind but from my experience electronics like these tend to outlast the warranty and for the few that don't I've saved enough by not buying warranties that I can afford to replace them out of pocket. I'm sure there are people who have had to use their warranties and it was worth it for them but like I said, this is in my experience.

14. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F138 Safari/525.20)

It starts from whener you activate it, but it has to be done before the one-year warranty expires. At least that's my understanding.

15. kwk1 macrumors regular

kwk1

I bought Applecare and I don't even have a Touch yet!

Why?

Cause i picked it up for $23, and I knew I was getting a Touch in the future.
    Just waiting for my local store(Futureshop) to get some in stock.

I don't think I'd bother with it if it was like $60 or more though.

16. Impulse29 macrumors member

That's incorrect. Applecare extends the warranty from its original 1 year and 90 days phone support to 2 years and 2 years phone support. It doesn't matter when you buy it within the first year, it will be expire two years after the date of purchase.

17. -Dark Angel- macrumors 6502

18. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Impulse29 is correct, Applecare extends the factory warranty and starts the moment after the factory warranty expires, and adds one year of full protection. I was hoping that people would see the link in my first post. Explains the cost, and how Applecare works. But I guess I didn't make the example bold enough ;) .

[​IMG]

19. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

No, no you didn't ;)

20. iOrlando thread starter macrumors 68000

oh you have one year to decide....with the macbooks do you have up to 3 months to decide to get applecare or not? I was going under the assumption that within 3 months of ipod purchase i have to decide to extend the applecare...so having one year would be good.

another question off of that....
    can i bring ipod touch to a nearby apple store within the one year and get service? replacement? (assuming no applecare) Bascially..what is up with this call service part of applecare....because the call service ends 90 days after purchase w/o applecare.

21. kwk1 macrumors regular

kwk1

Actually, Ivan is correct.
    The Applecare warranty starts as soon as you register it.
    You see, without it, phone support is free for only 3 months.
    With Applecare, you get free phone support for 2 years.
    So saying Applecare starts after the factory warranty expires, to me is incorrect.

In fact, it clearly states this from the link that you provided.

22. thomahawk macrumors 6502a

thomahawk

i dont need applecare plan with my ipod.
    computers yes but ipods.. not really its a waste of money.
    besides them ipods last a long ass time.
    i still have my old ipod mini 4gb from 5 or 6 years a go i think..

23. Brother Michael macrumors 6502a

Brother Michael

I am buying my iPod Touch from Best Buy and I will probably get their warranty plan with it.

Best Buy replaced my brother's iPod like 2 or 3 times no questions asked.

24. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    I think that apple care for inexpensive things like ipods is dumb. I think it is worth it for something of greater value like a macbook but I would just take good care of it instead of shelling out extra money.

25. beeh macrumors regular

Some ( maybe most ) credit cards double the warranty of anything purchased with them. So for the touch, the warranty would be two years if bought with one.