Anyone NOT having a problem with iCal alarms in Leopard?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by wordmunger, Nov 1, 2007.

1. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Okay, so no one can help with this. I'm just curious if ANYONE can get alarms to work in iCal 3.0.

Anyone?

I rely heavily on iCal alarms -- I want to display a message when I'm supposed to do something, and it's not working. This worked flawlessly in Tiger.

I'm not ignoring alarms and I don't have alarms turned off. Any ideas?

2. wordmunger thread starter macrumors 603

wordmunger

Okay, for anyone interested -- an update based on info from the Apple support board. It looks like if you delete all your old calendars and just start from scratch, you can fix the problem. The problem appears to stem from legacy calendars from Tiger, not new calendars created in Leopard. I'm going to give it a shot. I'll report back if it works.

3. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

I've actually not had any problems with it, and all my iCal dates were entered under Tiger. I rely on them quite a bit too, especially with my TV shows. Hope you get it fixed.

4. wordmunger thread starter macrumors 603

wordmunger

Hmmm... It's definitely inconsistent. My daughter had no problems upgrading to Leopard on her macbook.

But there are definitely plenty of people with the problem in the Apple iCal forums.

Just as an update, I deleted all my calendars, then created a new one and did a test event: did NOT work.

Then I reinstalled iCal from the Leopard DVD.

That did the trick. Only BOTH reinstalling AND removing all your old calendars solves the problem. I've now reentered all my old events and resubscribed to my old calendars and everything is working fine.

5. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

Yea different people are definitely having different problems. My upgrade was very smooth, no BSoD or anything. My problems are mostly with apps that were designed for Tiger (iTunes, iLife 06, etc) although Preview seems to be hella buggy. I assume/hope it'll all be fixed after a couple of updates though.

6. Skidmore macrumors newbie

Any updates on this?

I have 20 Calendars, most of which span months and really do not want to rebuild by hand from scratch. (I am a college teacher and all of my classes are in iCal.)

7. batequeixo macrumors newbie

Remains a problem

This remains a problem, like other users on this forum, I also relied heavily on iCal alarming features. Since the upgrade to Leopard this feature has not worked and Apple does not seem to have it as a priority, the past few software updates did not address iCal at all.

I am starting to consider moving to Entourage, against my will, just so that I can rely on my computer to remind me of important events.

I have spent hours googling for a hint or a fix but so far this research has not lead to a solution, only to the certainty that the problem continues to exist, with little to none regard from the folks at Cupertino.

:(

8. rokano macrumors newbie

10.5.2 might fix this

I read on another forum that the 10.5.2 update fixed the iCal alarm problems, at least for one person. I installed the update and an alarm did pop up immediately after the update reboot, although this was for a new item that I had created in iCal after installing Leopard, so not sure if the alarms for my old pre-Leopard items are working yet, will keep you posted. However this is the first time I have seen an alarm pop up since installing Leopard, so that is encouraging!

9. rokano macrumors newbie

alarms working!

It finally came time for one of my pre-Leopard alarms to pop up (I probably don't have nearly as many alarms as you guys do) and I can happily confirm that it did, so i guess problem solved. Woohoo! :D

10. Louisd macrumors newbie

Alarms wont go away after Archive and reinstall

I just did an A&R of Leopard to repair issues caused by deleting the previous users account. Since then Ical alarms won't cancel, they come back every hour after I click the X.