Anyone not use a screen protector on 3gs?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by fleeper, Jun 30, 2009.

1. fleeper macrumors 6502

I can never seem to get my screen protector to stick without air bubbles. I am considering just removing it and just using my case and no screen protector. Anyone else go this route?

fleeper

2. rrjr80 macrumors member

rrjr80

I have never used one on my 2G or 3G and I've never had any scratches. So, none for the 3GS either.

3. Morn macrumors 6502

It's glass and very hard to scratch. Don't think a screen protector is needed.

4. wr1020 macrumors regular

I don't use a screen protector or a case. The screen is pretty hard to scratch with and as long as your semi careful with it you'll be fine. I keep it in my pocket with nothing else in there so my entire phone is scratch free.

5. mojohanna macrumors 6502a

mojohanna

nope, just a case for the back half. The new coating they put on the 3gs glass is great. Still finger prints, but it wipes away with a quick swipe on your shirt. The glass on the touch you have to just about scrub or use the little black cloth. Impossible to keep clean.

6. celticpride678

I use a case and screen protector. It took some time to get the screen protector right, but if you concentrate, you will get it eventually. Remember, you can always take it to Apple and have them do it for you. But I would rather have a case and a screen protector just to be safe nothing will happen to my device.:)

7. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

I've never used a screen protector on either my 3G or my 3GS. My wife doesn't use a screen protector and neither do any of my friends who have an iPhone.

The screen is glass, and it's only going to get scratched through carelessness, or being a dirty person with sand in their pockets (or a rich one with diamonds in the pockets :)).

As for the screen breaking, that's a very real risk, but protectors don't do much in this regard. Better just to be careful, or if accident prone then put it in an Otter Box or similar klutz-proof case.

8. tayshon macrumors 6502a

tayshon

+1 I put one one my daughters iPod Touch and I hate how it feels, but she's a kid

9. megamanbnmaster macrumors 6502

Did you use a credit card to help move out the air bubbles? That's what i did to clean up the air bubbles on my iPhone. (granted it doesn't have the oleophobic or w/e screen)

10. Lexoticstylez02 macrumors 6502a

Lexoticstylez02

I've used an AntiGlare on my 2G and 3G, this time around the new oleophobic coating has left me with no need for a protector and I'm loving the natural feel of the glass.

11. WilliamG macrumors G3

Never used a screen protector on my 2G or 3G or 3GS. 2 years. No scratches on any of my devices.

12. chhhrrriiisss macrumors 6502a

You can find some pretty good video tutorials on youtube that will teach you how to put on the screen protectors. Thats how I learned.

My friend had an iPhone and it got scratched quite a bit even without protector.

13. 99MustangGTman macrumors 6502

I just ordered the iPhone 3GS and I don't plan on putting a screen protector on it. I've had my iPod Touch for about 6-7 months and I just had a case on it and nothing on the screen and it still looks brand new.

14. cdinca macrumors 6502

HEY! Sand is hard to get out of pockets. I'm not dirty! :)

15. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I wasted about 5 screen protectors trying to get one on my 3GS.
    It does seem a little harder to put on than my 3G but it might be just me. There is a few bubbles on the bottom part near the home button but I gave up and just left them there. At least they're not on the visible screen of the phone. :)

16. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

That's what you get for playing in the sand, you dirty person! :p

17. EarthDawn macrumors 6502a

EarthDawn

I used a screen protector on my 2 g and used a credit card to aid in putting it on.
    With the 3Gs I have not put a protector on as I love how it feels without it. And the new glass does wipe away with such ease I don't font it nessesary.

18. iUser4Lyfe macrumors 6502

Had a screen protector on the 3G and it was alright. Didnt put one on the 3GS and its nice. The new screen is my favorite feature to be honest.

19. kage207 macrumors 6502a

20. dream macrumors member

21. Chaos123x macrumors 68000

I use a powersupport anti-glare. It gets rid of reflections and fingerprints.

Was going to use the 3G-S because of the new coating.

But I found the new coating to do some weird stuff, even though actual finger prints went away quickly, it was allot harder to get the little bit of grease from the finger prints off of the phone, it will just slide around the phone it's really weird. But I found it that it actually made the phone harder to clean off because it's just slides all around.

22. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Yup. I tried an IS and the a BSE for a grand total of about two weeks, but ever since then it has been naked. No scratches (so far) on any of them.

The real test is going to be my wife's 3GS. We just bought a 32GB white 3GS for her yesterday (her first iPhone) and she absolutely doesn't want a film/cover/case, so it's just going into her purse, naked. I told her the screen would likely scratch (the oleophobic coating) but she said she doesn't care. I'll report back in a few weeks on how bad it's looking!

23. Coraline macrumors member

I do. I can't go without it. I throw my phone into my purse all the time and don't want to risk it getting scratched. I love my screen protector, no fingerprints ever.

24. coolwater macrumors 6502a

coolwater

I like the feel of the sleek glass too much to cover it with plastic.

25. kage207 macrumors 6502a

I used IS for about 2 weeks, kept it for two keeps cause it had some bubbles on the back side, I wanted it just cause it was easier to hold the phone, so my gf at the time could push the bubbles out. She loved doing that. I got rid of it after I went away for college.