Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

1hot5.0

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 10, 2005
I installed 10.4.4, verified and repaired permissions, and things seem to be noticeably snappier, especially Safari.

Am I the only one who is noticing this?

Rowen

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2005
I have notice things to be a bit snappier with 10.4.4.

Also for the record Applecare just replaced my LCD, Powersupply, Fans to Rev B, and more on my Gen 1 iMac. So I noticed a significant boost from that. I also run Cocktail and Onyx, which both make my computer run like new. But I did notice a slight bump with 10.4.4

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
It could be the cleared out Virtual RAM that we're noticing (which is a result of a restart rather than the 10.4.4 upgrade) because I'm also finding it ever so slightly quicker. :)

risc

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
I have a Power Mac G5 and I have to say I never notice any speed increases with point upgrades. Tiger seems to be a heap faster than Panther though.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Dashboard responds a bit quicker than it used to. Spotlight is much the same, possibly a bit quicker to respond. Navigating in Finder feels similar, displaying pictures might be a tad faster. Scrolling in iPhoto 5 seems quicker - not sure why though.

maz94protege

macrumors member
Dec 6, 2005
anyone still having problems with BT and Airport Extreme cards? i heard on other mac forums that this is a problem....still iffy if ima upgrade my mac mini 1.42ghz from panther to 10.4.4...panthers running great and soo smoothly i kinda dont wanna upgrade, but just wondering what problems everyones runnin into.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
maz94protege said:
Anyone still having problems with BT and Airport Extreme cards?

I have heard on other Mac forums that this is a problem....still iffy if I'm going to upgrade my Mac mini 1.42ghz from Panther to 10.4.4...Panther's running great and soo smoothly I kind of don't want to upgrade, but just wondering what problems everyone's running into.

Right, you say you're running 10.3 Panther? Well, a download isn't going to upgrade you to 10.4.4. You're going to need to pop down to the shops and buy yourself a copy of 10.4 Tiger.

Are you sure you're running Panther? The Mac Mini's got Tiger support fairly early in their life-span (3 or 4 months in).

I haven't had any problems with mine yet, not had a chance to really test out the Airport Extreme card but it did lock onto a protected network yesterday so I guess it all still works.

I thoroughly recommend upgrading to 10.4 if you haven't already.

neocell

macrumors 65816
May 23, 2005
Great White North
Just updated my iMac today. After the first restart things were a bit weird. Background images snapped to change, not the normal fade (have mine changing every 5 minutes), and of course there was the couple minute reboot time that is always at least twice as long as usual. Then Exposé started acting really choppy, so I restarted. Couldn't believe it, it booted in about 20 seconds (twice as fast as usual), and the backgrounds started fading again, and Exposé is acting as it did with 10.4.3. So, nothing's really different except for a much quicker boot time, which I like a lot (always turn off my computer ~3 times a day). Oh, and Safari's interacting with this site's VB much better now

neocell

macrumors 65816
May 23, 2005
Great White North
mad jew said:
Erm, any reason? That's quite a few reboots.
Don't really know, it works for me. I was raised a PC user and reboots always helped stuff run better, guess it just stuck with me. I know there's all these posts of uptimes, and that Macs don't need to be rebooted but since I switched over, ~4 years ago, I've been using Macs at work non stop (multiple users on 1 computer) and they get a bit flakey at times. Nothing like the PC, but still some weird/slow stuff. Rebooting them always seemed to cure it, so the tradition has stuck. So with my home iMac, when I'm finished (not going to use it for another hour) I just hit Control + Eject and let'er go. Thus ~3/day

Platform

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2004
RAM managment seems to be better for me, and no it not after the re-start I have an uptime of 5 days 11h ;)

Kernow

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2005
Kingston-Upon-Thames
It may be trick of the light, but it certainly feels snappier for me since upgrading, particularly minimising windows. These now seem to zip down into the dock.

The first time I put the machine to sleep after upgrading, I had a crash & was forced to hard restart, but after that it is running beautifully.

Sargiel

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2005
West Sussex, England
mad jew said:
Erm, any reason? That's quite a few reboots.

I always shut down my DA Powermac when I'm not going to be using it. Why leave it using up electricity for no benefit ? As Sleep has stopped working correctly (that was before 10.4.4 incidently - not quite figured out why yet) the only option is to turn it off.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Platform said:
RAM managment seems to be better for me, and no it not after the re-start I have an uptime of 5 days 11h ;)
Yes, it seems it lets a bit easier go of used memory once you quit all apps. But it still doesn't let all go, and I still think there's (at least) one memory leak somewhere...

I still reboot my iBook to free things up every or every other day... at least now that I only have 6,5-7 GB free HD space... I might not be bothered when I've cleared out 3-4 GB of my iTunes Library and maybe another half GB from general cleanup and another half GB form cleaning my very unorganized iPhoto library (lots of duplicates and errors) ;)

quigleybc

macrumors 68030
Da Fans

One thing that I was hoping for with this update was for the fans to stop going nuts for no reason.
after 10.4.3 fans on Powermac G5's would just start blowing like crazy for no reason..and then stop. Heard that it was happening on power books too for some folks.

Anyway, with this update the fans on my Powermac G5 have almost stopped doing that, still once in a while, but not nearly as bad as after 10.4.3 so that is a huge relief.

As for a speed increase...meh..not really.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
CPU Usage seems to be higher in Safari and iTunes. My iMac G5 Rev. B could run both in 10.4.3 with no fan noise. Now I get a little. :(

CubaTBird

macrumors 68020
Apr 18, 2004
i think the whole speed increase thing is all a subconscious drive to want mac os x to be faster.. haha..

o btw, back from europe.. woot woot :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.