Anyone notice auto app updates never work on cellular?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by RickMC, Sep 29, 2014.

1. RickMC, Sep 29, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2014

RickMC macrumors member

It seems my apps only auto update when connected to wifi. If I'm just on LTE and open the App Store, if there are updates they just sit there and won't update til I turn on wifi. Not a huge deal since I'm always on wifi usually but I've never had an instance where my apps updated automatically when I was just on cellular. Anyone else notice that?

Edit: Yes, I have 'Use Cellular Data' enabled in settings

2. C DM macrumors Westmere

Do you have the use cellular option enabled for automatic downloads?

3. Cubsfan16 macrumors member

Yes I've noticed this as well. I've also noticed my software updates no longer download automatically and leave the little red 1 above the settings app.

4. C DM macrumors Westmere

For software updates to do that sometimes it can take a few days if not more and it could only happen when the device is connected to WiFi and connected to a power source.

5. RickMC thread starter macrumors member

Yes I do. I'm aware that if an app update is over a certain size it has to be on wifi to update but I notice small updates not updating on LTE

6. BrettDS macrumors 65816

My guess is that this is by design. App updates can take a lot of data (and right now the cutoff to require wifi is 100M), so I'm guessing that most people don't want a lot of automatic updates triggering and using up their data plan.