Anyone notice it takes about 5 seconds before pics are clear?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by richard371, Mar 30, 2012.

1. richard371 macrumors 68000

When looking at retina wallpapers using the photo app they sometimes take 5 second to become clear. Anyone notice this?

2. orlandocano macrumors regular

Yup, i noticed it and posted it on another thread but nobody responded so maybe it is not a widespread thing... i call it a thing and not an issue because i understand it is not that big of a deal.. it would just be nice to flip through my photos and have them render automatically.. instead of having a lag before they become crystal clear on the retina display

3. gtmac macrumors 6502a

4. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

Happens to me occasionally but it's not a big issue to me. Perhaps it'll be fixed in a later update or something. It's just more of an annoyance then anything else. Like ^ poster mentioned, would be nice to just flip through my albums without having to wait for images to be rendered.

5. Comeagain? macrumors 68020

Comeagain?

It's normal. It shows enough to see the picture, to save processing power, and if you stop on a picture, then it loads the whole thing. It'd be worse if it tried to load the whole thing, and took 5 seconds to load anything at all.

6. Orlandu, Mar 30, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2012

Orlandu macrumors 6502

Orlandu

This is from jpg files being saved with progressive setting turned on. A progressive jpg file saves the image with multiple clarities in the same file. The lowest quality one loads first and that's what you see when it looks really fuzzy and pixelated. Then the full quality image loads. It's not just an iPad thing, it does it on every device and computer if the jpg file is saved that way.

7. MykullMyerz macrumors 6502

MykullMyerz

I'm glad you explained this because I always wondered what a progressive jpeg was.

8. Frenchjay macrumors 68000

Frenchjay

It's probably due to the high resolution. Something else I've noticed is sometimes it darkens the photos when selecting it for a wallpaper.

9. nlkccom macrumors 6502a

I think it got to do with the original picture size. I can open the photo app and browse through pics I originally took on my iPhone 4 without much delay, but when I try to browse through pics loaded from my DSLR (18MP), they do take a sec or 2 to be fully loaded.

----------

I noticed that too. Hate it! :mad:

I guess Apple does that to make the icons stand out more.

10. fsck-y dingo macrumors 65816

fsck-y dingo

There's a gradient on the home screen that gets progressivly darker towards the bottom of the screen. It's really quite useless and removing it was one of the first things I'd do on a jailbroken phone. The entire screen looks so much better without it in place.

As of now I'm using the stock version of iOS 5.1 so I'm putting up with the annoying gradient too. It's especially noticeable on brightly colored wallpapers.

11. Frenchjay macrumors 68000

Frenchjay

Yep, check this one out.

[​IMG]

12. klover macrumors 6502a

Just the side-effect of progressive JPEGs, nothing unusual.

13. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

Kind of annoying but only a problem if you're setting wallpaper and hit "use as" prior to the photo loading fully. Then it gives you the blurry pixelated pic as your wall. Oh well.

14. Frenchjay macrumors 68000

Frenchjay

It does that if you try and edit it with the enhance feature. :(