Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jpiszcz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 28, 2010
Most recent example, there used to be an awesome weather widget (Crisp) that I bought a long time ago:

It is not available in prior purchases either.

In some cases (AllSubway) they pulled the app (no longer available in prior purchases) and then re-released it from 2014 and are charging for it again.

Has anyone else seen apps quietly being pulled off the app store and no longer appearing in your prior purchases?

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
Presumably this is for abandoned apps that have fallen out of compatibility with recent iOS versions? I have noticed a couple of apps that say they've been updated by Apple to use the latest signing certificate, so it seems Apple do try to keep the store clear of apps that will no longer work. The only ones I know that I paid for that were subsequently discontinued are the early games like Angry birds and PVZ, which were pulled and replaced by freemium versions. Annoying, but I suppose the developers have to have a continued source of income if you want them to keep updating the app to be compatible with the ongoing OS updates.

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
I would also think they are getting rid of apps that don't meet their privacy standards or have been found to be somewhat security risks. Most are probably because they won't work with new software/hardware

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
Recent changes in privacy are one. Before that, it's 64-bit compatiblity. Throughout includes keeping up with new app devleopment standards.

In the past decade, any time iOS gets an update, especially a major one, that can cause compatibility issues. Time is money for devs (just like in any other biz really). If they have to keep sinking in hours to "keep up with the joneses" (iOS users do expect free updates), then it can make more fiscal sense to just let the app die.

Reactions: max2
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.