Anyone notice the trackpad..

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ajohnson253, Jan 9, 2010.

1. ajohnson253 macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

On the Unibody Macbook Pro clicks a little deeper on the right side rather then the left? Unless this is just the way mine is. It seems that on the left side of the trackpad that the click is a little quieter and solid and seems not to go as far deep as the right side. The right side is a bit louder on the click, not as solid sounding.

2. seepel macrumors 6502

seepel

Exact opposite for me! It is deeper on the left. Did you replace your drive or ram? I was thinking it might be related to the way the base fit when I put it back on. If you discover anything about this please post back.

3. imagine123 macrumors newbie

I have this same issue... (about 0.5mm lower on the right side, and generally dipping beneath the level of the casing on the bottom of the trackpad compared to the top). Went to an apple authorized service centre, the guy said that it was "normal" from wear and tear. If I really wanted to, he would need to order a new trackpad (even though I've been told by members on this forum that a screw needed to be tightened).

Although I have applecare, he refused to tighten the screw because "apple would not pay him unless he ordered a part" - which meant he had to order & replace the trackpad or the whole top casing, and hold my laptop for 4+ days (without giving me a loaner) while the parts arrived.

Is this the apple service I've heard such good things about???

4. aresinferno macrumors regular

I have this too and think it is very common in the unibody MacBook Pros. My one was like that when I first got it.

For mine, it seems to be caused by the trackpad not being completely level with the right side lower down than the left. It is not really a problem but it looks odd. I can clearly feel that the left side is sticking out a bit whereas the right side is lower down. If you look at the videos in the trackpad settings you can clearly see that the right side is lower down than the left.

5. Disc Golfer macrumors 6502a

It sounds like your trackpads are 90 degrees off of mine; my trackpad clicks on the bottom, down where the button would be on previous laptops, but not so much towards the top.
    My 1.5 week old mbp was putting gouges in my wooden furniture (most of my furniture was made custom for my home made by a local woodworker, who was able to sand and refinish the damaged pieces fortunately) because one of the rubber feet had a little sharp extrusion. Applecare phone person told me that the issue was definitely covered by my warranty and I could just take it in to the local apple store and they would swap out the rubber foot while I waited (which I later learned is applenese for "I don't understand the words you're saying, please get off the phone with me"). When I took it to the apple store the person at the service counter laughed at me and told me that not only he couldn't just put a new foot on, but that there wasn't a part number for replacing the bottom case under warranty at all and he didn't know what the person on the phone was talking about, though he could get it done for a hundred and fifty bucks.
    Fortunately someone else at the store did have the authority to not charge me money but the point is that apple's outstanding service department will screw with you, lie to you, and attempt to charge you money (part of that $150 they wanted to charge me? $90 for the four minutes it takes to swap bottom panels. I know because they gave me an itemized receipt with prices as if to say "We didn't have to help you, but we did, how nice of us.") before finally begrudgingly agreeing to help you, even if you did have to take an extra bus ride across town and pissed away two afternoons waiting around in their store despite having had made "appointments".

6. imagine123 macrumors newbie

Would anyone who reported in previous threads about having the bottom screw tightened to raise the trackpad be able to post some kind of work order description or something that they received from the apple service center? This way we could show it to the service centre and have it fixed quickly.

7. kgeier82 macrumors 65816

Yep. There is nothing wrong with that. First, its a service center, not even an apple store. You expect a loaner? Apple wouldnt give you one, why would you expect that?

At least they are interested in replacing it. 4 days is nothing.

I have yet to have to send in a laptop. Only issue I have had is a bad battery on a mBP long ago. iphones, thats another story, Ive had to replace 4 now. Going on 5 :( And they sure are anal about those grrrr

8. Habitus macrumors 6502a

Habitus

Now that you've mentioned it, my 13" MBP has the same issue. However, I enabled tap-clicking! :D

Habitus :apple:

9. Surely Guest

Surely

That's normal. The glass trackpad has to be attached to it's base somewhere (which is at the top). What did you think, that the glass just floats there?

Go to an Apple Store and try clicking all of the trackpads- you'll see that they all cannot be clicked at the top.

FTR, my trackpad clicks evenly on both sides.

10. Disc Golfer macrumors 6502a

It obviously doesn't just float because it pops back up. The keys on my keyboard don't only click on the bottom half, how on earth do we account for that? Maybe they're just.. floating there. :confused::rolleyes:

11. Surely Guest

Surely

The keys and the trackpad aren't attached to their bases in the same way.

Really?:rolleyes:

12. Disc Golfer macrumors 6502a

Why would I know that? It says "newbie" right under my username.
    edit
    Dooht now I'm a "member"? Shoz I guess I have no excuse now.

Also sorry, I wasn't :rolleyes: , I was :confused::rolleyes: .. It's the closest I could come up with to a sarcastic smirk. I'm really not that much of a jerk and I think the internet is goofy at best. Maybe :rolleyes:;) is better. Smilie combos just don't work very well.

edit edit
    Also not to derail this thread entirely, What exactly is it that I'm doing with multitouch that occasionally causes firefox to zoom out on text? It happens, but only occasionally, then I can't reproduce it for the life of me and I have to cmd-+ to zoom back in.

13. Surely Guest

Surely

The "newbie", "member", etc. titles only tell other members how long you've been a member here, not how long you've been a Mac user for. I joined in 2007, but have used a Mac on and off since 1991.

The emoticons can get you in trouble.:D

You are pinching your finger and thumb together (or two of your fingers). Just pull your finger and thumb apart, and it will zoom back in.

14. shambo macrumors 6502a

shambo

Bottom right on the trackpad is the right mouse click hence why it is slightly deeper and sounds different.

15. Surely Guest

Surely

No. No no no.

That is a software-related option, not a hardware feature.

You can find the option of turning EITHER corner into a right-click in Settings>Trackpad

16. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Can't say that I have noticed that the trackpad as areas where the clicking is deeper then other areas.

I think some people have too much time on their hands :p

17. i person macrumors newbie

i dont know if anyone else has noticed this but if you click on the left side of the trackpad it comes up against something solid underneath, where as on the right side there is nothing, no resistance ?

Maybe thats why it clicks deeper on the right hand side ?

18. ajohnson253 thread starter macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

had no clue that so many other people had the same issue. Not really an issue though it's no problem to me. Was just curious to if that's how they all came or if it was just something that my MBP had going on. Today it seems that the clicking sounds the same on the left and the right. Strange, eh.

19. iMetalG5 macrumors 6502a

well i just bought a 2.8ghz today and do not notice this. but give it a week maybe it will ;)

20. Surely Guest

Surely