Anyone noticing iOS 4 utilizing more memory?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dccorona, Jun 14, 2010.

1. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

I have had the iOS 4 GM on my 3GS for a few days now, and I've noticed that it uses more memory to run. On 3.1, my free memory application, after freeing up memory, would leave the system running with up to 140 MB free RAM. However, now that it is on 4.0, it seems to max out at around 60 MB.

Anyone else noticed this? It may be that the GM still isn't finalized, or that the app I have just isn't as effective on 4.0, but it could also be that the new springboard uses more memory to run. Interesting to say the least

2. bmms8 macrumors 68020

im not to sure about the memory usage, but i definitely feel that 4.0 is faster and smoother than 3.x.x

3. Ryhian macrumors member

Which app are you using? It may not be fully compatible with 4.0 so its giving inaccurate readings.

4. dccorona thread starter macrumors 68020

dccorona

I'm using free memory
    Since I downloaded it, apps of this nature were removed from the app store by apple, so unfortunately, it isn't going to be updated anymore

5. redman042 macrumors 68030

redman042

The simple test is to do a power cycle, then open up multiple tabs in Safari and see if it seems like less of them are staying in memory than before.

Or jailbreak and install SBSettings.

I for one am hoping memory management improves with iOS4, because my iPad could use a little help.

6. Vertigo50 macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

I don't know about IOS4, but software engineers are beginning to come around to the idea that free memory is often not as useful as pre-loading certain things for fast access.

Users, on the other hand, still want to see free memory. Windows Vista and 7 got a lot of flack for using free memory for other tasks, until explanations and benchmarks started to show that pre-loading certain things was helping programs load faster and giving better performance. At that point, people started to realize that having the largest possible amount of free memory available at all times may not be the best goal.

All I am saying is that I trust Apple to know better than me what will give the best user experience. Yeah, they make mistakes, but I won't just assume that using more memory is automatically bad. They may be using it for something very smart.

7. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

Apple commented on this in the 4.0 dev beta forum. Memory info apps are written to read memory the way it was managed in 3.x. Memory is being reported differently (being managed and reported similar to OS X) in 4.0 and none of the memory apps (current or pulled) accurately report memory.