Anyone on AT&T with an iPhone 5 ever see 3G?

Bacong

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 7, 2009
Westland, Michigan
I've only ever seen LTE, 4G and Edge.

So, I'm assuming AT&T has upgraded basically eveywhere to HSPA+ where there isn't LTE. I know my friend with an iPhone 4 still has 3G.

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011
I've only ever seen LTE, 4G and Edge.

So, I'm assuming AT&T has upgraded basically eveywhere to HSPA+ where there isn't LTE. I know my friend with an iPhone 4 still has 3G.
iPhone 4 = HSPA
iPhone 4S = HSPA/HSPA+
HSPA =3G
HSPA+ = 4G

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
An AT&T iPhone 4S and 5 on AT&T will never see 3G, even if it isn't on HSPA+. The carrier bundle set to never show it.

BlueMoonForever

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2012
In areas where they don't have HSPA and only UMTS, then the phone would still display "4G". I think this is absolutely ridiculous that they even call H+ 4G. If its "4G" then why do I get 3G speeds. Apple should not have allowed this. It should say 3G and then LTE. That's it.

apollo1444

macrumors 65816
Jul 22, 2011
mexico
like I said, I know. lol. I clearly said HSPA+ in the OP.
then what the hell are you asking? if you see 4G on there you are actually seeing 3G. only older models show that because of apple and at&t scumbag tactics

if you travel to europe where DC HSPA is widely avaliable you'll see 3G even on your iPhone 5 because european regulators don't fall for this bullcrap

Bacong

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 7, 2009
Westland, Michigan
In areas where they don't have HSPA and only UMTS, then the phone would still display "4G". I think this is absolutely ridiculous that they even call H+ 4G. If its "4G" then why do I get 3G speeds. Apple should not have allowed this. It should say 3G and then LTE. That's it.
apollo, this is what I was asking basically, if they were displaying 4G on the screen even if it wasn't HSPA+.

----------

well, there is a difference between HSPA and HSPA+. It should show E, 3G, 4G, and LTE.

Menel

macrumors 603
Aug 4, 2011
Anyone on AT&T with an iPhone 5 ever see 3G?

Apple really has no ball on that court, they don't have a say in the matter. The United Nations International Telecommunications Union, ITU, defines the terms.

I suppose they *could* just to confuse consumers or something like they do in the UK. But I prefer standards compliance.

BlueMoonForever

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2012
apollo, this is what I was asking basically, if they were displaying 4G on the screen even if it wasn't HSPA+.

----------

well, there is a difference between HSPA and HSPA+. It should show E, 3G, 4G, and LTE.
Yea, but HSPA and HSPA+ shouldn't be classified as "4G". 4G does nothing but confuse people. I'd be fine with E, 3G, H, H+ and LTE as indicators.