Anyone on ATT ever stick their SIM (w/ iPhone unlimited data plan) into an Android?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Hal~9000, Nov 10, 2014.

1. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

I have an iPhone 5s on AT&T with the "iPhone unlimited data plan" but I like to switch between phones every now and then and have a T-mobile unlocked 2013 Moto X on the way (got it sealed & brand new for $199 tax-free).

In the past I've been worried that if I simply pop out my AT&T SIM card from my iPhone and place it into an Android phone, that the "iPhone unlimited data plan" won't be compatible with the Android device and AT&T will kick me off to a crappy tiered data plan (you guys know how automated computer systems can screw things up).

So since I was too afraid of losing my unlimited data plan I had to go down to AT&T and have the sale rep change my plan in their system from "iPhone unlimited data plan" to another unlimited plan that is compatible with Android phones. I like to switch back and fourth every now and then between the two OS's so this process of always having to drive down to AT&T gets annoying after awhile.

My question is this: Has anyone with an AT&T "iPhone unlimited data plan" simply popped out their SIM card from their iPhone and placed it in an AT&T Android phone? How about an unlocked T-mobile Android phone? Did you lose your unlimited data or have any problems because of it?

Thank you in advance for your replies, I really appreciate it :)

2. MatheusDebull macrumors newbie

I think the only issue you'd run into involves your voicemail setup.

While I didn't swap the sim, I would go into the AT&T store and have them activate a new sim when I swapped between my old Samsung Galaxy S3 and iPhone 4S. Never lost my unlimited data. The only drawback is I had to setup voicemail again when they would switch the plan from iPhone Unlimited to 4G LTE Unlimited. I no longer have unlimited data as I've migrated to their mobile share plan.

A friend did the same thing (went in and had them activate a new sim for the other phone) when he went to the HTC One from the iPhone 5, and back again (he still has unlimited data).

3. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

What's the difference between AT&T's "Unlimited iPhone" plan for iPhones and "Unlimited 4G LTE" plan for Androids?

4. MatheusDebull macrumors newbie

Aside from identifying the product being used (iphone vs other), the only thing that comes to mind is Visual Voicemail.

5. Hal~9000 thread starter macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

Yeah what I'm currently doing now is going into the AT&T store, but it's a pain in the *** to always have to do that any time I want to switch between phones.

I want to simply be able to:
    - wake up in the morning on any given day
    - ask myself "which phone do I want to use today? My iPhone or Android?"
    - pop my SIM card into whichever one without fear of losing my unlimited data.

I actually don't use voicemail on my iPhone (I have a google voice # for voicemail instead) so not having visual voicemail on my direct number isn't a problem. I wonder if I switched to the 4G LTE Unlimited plan (which you say lacks Visual Voicemail) they use for non-iPhones I could use on an iPhone without issues since I don't use Visual Voicemail :confused:

Does anyone have the iPhone unlimited data plan and simply put their SIM card into an Android device? Did you lose your unlimited?

Or conversely, does anyone have the 4G LTE Unlimited plan for Android/Windows phones and put their SIM into an iPhone? Did you lose your unlimited.

6. MatheusDebull macrumors newbie

Just followed up with my friend who did the switch between his HTC One and iPhone 5. Turns out he never went into the store, and instead just swapped the sim between the phones. You should be good to go.

7. KPOM macrumors G5

I haven't recently, but I used to have a Nexus One with the AT&T plan. The only thing I'd caution against is using the mobile hotspot feature built into stock Android, as AT&T can detect that and demand that you move to a mobile share plan.

8. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

You won't lose your unlimited data. As has been mentioned, voicemail will be your I only issue. Tethering too, but you don't get that with your plan anyway. I can confirm this from when I had unlimited on my plan. I have no reason to think anything has changed.

9. Hal~9000 thread starter macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

Thank you for your response :)

It gave me the confidence to try it out. I stuck my AT&T sim from my iPhone 5s into the 2013 Moto X GSM unlocked version (XT1053) and it worked perfectly without losing my unlimited data! *WHEW*

What was weird is that I didn't even have to change the APN settings to get LTE, like many others have had to do to, just popped in my SIM card and got LTE right away :confused: (not that I'm complaining...)

10. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Voice mail would be a problem and you would need to at least call and get that switched over to a compatible voice mail for android.

ATT is not going to take your unlimited plan away for this, they simply can't.

11. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I never changed APN settings. I used to swap between an Android device and iPhone at least 3-4 times a week for a long time. I now have an iPhone only on ATT (personal line) and my work line is my Android device.

This isn't to say that some devices won't require it. It's just not something I experienced either. Anyway, glad it worked for you. :)