Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

furryrabidbunny

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 10, 2005
Mesa, AZ
My Mom was just diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis today and I was wondering if anyone is willing to share their experiences with it. Just wondering what my Mom and family should expect. It might even force my parents to move because heat is apparently bad for it (probably would follow to help out).

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
my brother in law has MS , and for about 7 years now- he lives a full life.
but he cope's with it - just another day as he put's it, infact him and my sister have just had a little boy (my god son) and he say's thats far worse then anything else ;)

the only changes he has made are - moved to a bungalow and has to have crutches and a wheelchair to get around, but it's not that bad when you get used to it. o and he get's skip right passed the queues for rides at the amusment parks :cool:

furryrabidbunny

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 10, 2005
Mesa, AZ
my brother in law has MS , and for about 7 years now- he lives a full life.
but he cope's with it - just another day as he put's it, infact him and my sister have just had a little boy (my god son) and he say's thats far worse then anything else ;)

the only changes he has made are - moved to a bungalow and has to have crutches and a wheelchair to get around, but it's not that bad when you get used to it. o and he get's skip right passed the queues for rides at the amusment parks :cool:

How long did it take for him to require crutches and a wheelchair to get around? I know its all relative... my mom's 54 so it might (probably) will happen sooner with her. Her doctor told her the MS is in a "resting" stage (her words, god knows what the doctor actually said), and that it wont do anything for awhile.

furryrabidbunny

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 10, 2005
Mesa, AZ
The doctor told my Mom to look into different drugs and experimental drugs to pick a drug she feels will suit her best.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
A friend of mine was diagnosed with MS about a year ago. She's already starting to get tunnel vision and has problems seeing. She is a fitness instructor who has always been very physically active and health-conscious, so it's really sad to see what's happening to her. :(

furryrabidbunny

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 10, 2005
Mesa, AZ
Isn't that the Doctor's job???
Yes, but he wants her to know what she is getting into, the different side-effects of drugs. He offered his opinion on what drugs he doesn't want her to be on, but she just wants her involvement. It was more or less to get her to learn about her disease and how it is treated, not to pick a treatment. He is a great doctor. Put her through a month of tests just to make sure it was MS and wouldnt' verify it till he was done. He actually originally thought she suffered a stroke.

todd2000

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2005
Danville, VA
Yes, but he wants her to know what she is getting into, the different side-effects of drugs. He offered his opinion on what drugs he doesn't want her to be on, but she just wants her involvement. It was more or less to get her to learn about her disease and how it is treated, not to pick a treatment. He is a great doctor. Put her through a month of tests just to make sure it was MS and wouldnt' verify it till he was done. He actually originally thought she suffered a stroke.

Thats good, It sounded like he just gave her a list and said "You Pick One". I wish your Mom the best of luck. Sounds like you have a good Doctor there, it's nice that he wanta to get Her involved instead of acting like a know it all.

furryrabidbunny

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 10, 2005
Mesa, AZ
A friend of mine was diagnosed with MS about a year ago. She's already starting to get tunnel vision and has problems seeing. She is a fitness instructor who has always been very physically active and health-conscious, so it's really sad to see what's happening to her. :(
Thats what really forced my mom to the doctor finally. I never knew what the symptoms were of MS, but they just seem odd. It was poor vision (quack eye doctor thought she had Glaucoma), inability to stay balanced (when walking or just standingj still), and lack of strength.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Thats what really forced my mom to the doctor finally. I never knew what the symptoms were of MS, but they just seem odd. It was poor vision (quack eye doctor thought she had Glaucoma), inability to stay balanced (when walking or just standingj still), and lack of strength.

Yep - the disease eats away at your muscles, so it affects people differently. Some lose their sight, some have troubles speaking, others walking, lifting things, keeping their balance... Unfortunately it just keep deteriorating until everything is affected. :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.