Anyone on MacRumors play Chess?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Melrose, Apr 9, 2008.

1. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

Does anyone here play chess?

I've been a student of the game (somewhat, that is) for a few years but have a hard time finding people to play against, so I found GameKnot.com.. (that's a referral link from me). It's pretty cool because I've played people from all over the world, Russia, Korea, Iran, Scotland, Brazil... and it's free (which can't be beat)

What's your favourite opening and how long have you been playing?

If you like look me up on that site my username's 'North'... it'd be great to play a few of the familiar faces from here!

2. absolut_mac macrumors 6502a

absolut_mac

I used to play a lot on Yahoo and on Kasparov's old site before it closed. My wife is VERY happy that I don't play that much any more.

Chess, it's not a game it's an obsession!

3. UWSpindoctor macrumors regular

I've been playing on and off (more off) for the last 11 years or so. I was always partial to the Ruy Lopez opening.

4. Melrose thread starter Suspended

Melrose

My grandmother (who taught me how to play) always used the Ruy - it's sad to see it's become unpopular on the high levels..

I'm quite partial to the Sicilian and the English openings - I like playing off-center and closed.

5. benmrii macrumors 65816

benmrii

I love to play chess. My favorite opening usually starts either with pawns or sometimes knights.

Crap, did I just give away that I'm not very good? I honestly do love to play, but from the look of the posts above I'm not going to play any of you. :rolleyes:

6. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Exactly.

If someone uses the word "gambit", run like hell.

:D

ATTENTION: This was post 101. Let's see if I can sit at the big people table now. ;)

7. nikopolidis macrumors regular

I used to play chess either. I was rather good player.
    I remember when I was studying in England I even won a chess tournament there. ;)
    Chess is every useful game, I think. You become more logically thinking playing chess..
    I play very seldom nowadays.. But will really glad to play if I have time. :)

8. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

I used to play chess a lot, and tended to beat most people I play against, but never bothered formally learning the openings.

My favourite game ever is the one I played against a Russian master dude with a long white beard in Paris when I was about 13. I think he underestimated me and went for the easy kill, and then was surprised when I fought back into a long drawn out endgame. He won of course, but it was good fun.

I still haven't been able to beat my father at chess, not once, ever.

There was an International Master on my dorm at college, and we played once. He thrashed me of course.

Another one of my favourite games was against a crusty homeless street punk, who made all his moves instantly while swigging away on his 5th can of Strongbow and chatting to all his punk squatter mates. He also thrashed me of course.

I found a bug in OS X chess.app, when it made an illegal pawn move against me, and the offical Apple maintainer of the app contacted me to ask for a savefile, but other stuff happened and I never got back to him :(

Nowadays, I have a baby daughter and am the main carer, and my brain is all mushy and no time for chess now :(

9. c-Row macrumors 65816

c-Row

I think it's fun, but I can't find anyone to play against offline, and I would probably suck big time against most of you online. :D

10. MentalFabric macrumors 6502

MentalFabric

11. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

I really like Chess. Used to be reasonably good at it, but then I didn't play for a while and I'm only starting to get back into it again. Absolutely fantastic game, and a shame that more people don't play.

12. Flowero4ka macrumors regular

I used to try play chess, but no results unfortunately, I play checkers only :D

13. Melrose thread starter Suspended

Melrose

I agree - I would much rather like to play real people, you right in front you over the board and the pieces, but only a handful of people I know play and even less have the time and still less take it seriously enough to present a challenge... hence, I guess I'll stick with playing online..