Anyone on the 200 MB data plan?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by robotfist, Jul 15, 2010.

1. robotfist macrumors member

Just curious, are there any iPhone users out there on the 200 MB data plan? If so, what apps do you primarily use on your phone? And what is your usage like in general?

-Drk

2. unlimitedx macrumors 6502a

200MB plan. I primarily use my phone for web surfing. no music streaming or video streaming while on 3g. it seems 200MB is enough to satisfy all my web surfing needs. fortunately i have access to wifi most of the day.

3. Hellishness macrumors 65816

Hellishness

I was going to get it, but I decided that I really wanted to use my first iPhone with data to its full potential. I used over 20MB in a couple hours...

4. MisterDisney macrumors 6502a

5. MacBacker macrumors member

Yeah, I just do some web surfing mostly. I check emails often and I use my social networking apps quit a bit. Also, traffic and map stuff too. This, of course is my first (test) month and I'm at 165mb with a week left. You can always go up to the 2gb plan if you find that you are close to the 200mb in a month.

6. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

200MB data. Meebo, AIM, Facebook, Safari, Mail, FarmVille, We Rule, Pulse, Textfree, and YouTube on occasion.

7. Claerion macrumors member

I'm on 200mb and I'm doing just fine. You need to determine how often you have access to wifi though. I have wifi almost all day when I am using my phone for internet things. My college is fully covered with wifi so that is the major reason why I wasn't too worried about the 200mb plan.

You can always try it out and change it if it doesn't work for you.

8. EarthDawn macrumors 6502a

EarthDawn

Both unlimited..

While I am at 200 mb a month my girlfriend is kicking in the 800 mb mark lol

9. Make7UpYours728 macrumors member

Make7UpYours728

I'm on the 200mb /$15 plan and fine, ive only used 8gb since 07/04

wifi at home and work and basically at every restaurant and store around so I'm pretty much set.

10. b-rad g macrumors 6502a

b-rad g

200mb plan here and will probably have to try to use all of that.

I have wifi at home, work, church (I program and run lighting so I'm there alot).

I web surf, facebook, occasional youtube, check weather, small stuff like that on 3g. So most of my heavy data use is on wifi. I am midway thru my billing period and have only used aroung 50mb of cellular data.

11. King Luis macrumors 6502

i'm on 500mb and i run around 400mb at the end of the month. used to have 6gb/unlimited (because when will you actually hit 6gb?) and the highest i got up to was 2.5gb. that was on a trip and i was tethering and sending photos and emails and surfing the web.

12. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

I'm on wifi at home and at work so 200MB is fine for me.

13. skiltrip macrumors 68030

I'm dealing with the same thing right now. Considering my first iPhone (and first smartphone for that matter), and I'm trying to get by as cheap as possible. I'm wondering if 200MB would be enough. Most of my time is spent at home (wifi), at my in-laws (wifi), or at work (wifi, but a lot of stuff is blocked thru our servers). Work is all that concerns me. Say, I wanted to stream Pandora or something, then I'd definitely be in trouble with only 200MB i think.

14. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

I would get it only if it cost $5 so $15.00 for 200MB or keep my unlimited for $30 which is 5 GB or more, humm no brainer there for me, especially since I would be charged another $150 for a total of $30 for 400 MB. :eek:

15. Centient macrumors 6502

Two phones, each on the 200mb plan. Use for web, social media, and maps/light navigation while on 3G. Most downloading or streaming takes place over wi-fi. This has always been the case for us. So far so good.

We recently went on a week long trip and had uneven access to wi-fi. One phone has used 144mb since 6/23 (DL'd some podcasts on the road) the other has used 80mb since 6/23. Based on typical figures I'd consider that ALOT of usage for us and don't expect to use nearly that much again this month.

16. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

When I got my iPhone 4 I tried to use as little data as possible and within the first week of my cycle I was already over the 200MB mark. That was with sending pictures in email, google maps for directions for about 5 minutes, etc.. No streaming music or other as I normally do.

Once I went past the 200MB mark I just went back to my regular habits. Right now I'm pushing 3GB. No jailbreak out so obviously not tethering and I don't have that package.

I guess I just use a lot of data. That said I'll be sticking with my unlimited plan.

17. aneftp macrumors 601

With the iOS4, it's so easy to manage cellular data. If you really wanted to control your data usage to less than 200MB, you just have to go under:

Settings, General, Network and than turn cellular data off/on. Takes 3 seconds to do this. This is especially helpful if you are around wifi a lot.

But a lot of people are lazy, they either have limited/no wifi coverage or their employers restrict their wifi usage at work (no streaming).

That's why data has exploded on the iPhone the past 2 years.

If I really wanted to, I could burn through 5GB of data easily within 2 weeks by streaming slingbox all day long. But I have access to wifi so my data usage is around 200-500MB each month.

ATT knows what's it's doing. It's not doing anyone any favors. If they really wanted to give people "value" they would have made a $15/500MB data plan or even a $20/1GB data plan. But they set 200MB and you really need to watch your data usage if you aren't around wifi all day.

18. Djlild7hina macrumors 6502a

200 mb here... it would've been nice if they gave us more for $15 but i'm on wifi most of the time so can't complain too much

19. huskerchad macrumors regular

I have wifi most of the time. Last weekend I used 80MB just driving around town doing GPS and Pandora though.

20. marcr92 macrumors member

i got the 200mb only because I have access to wifi all the time
    i have wifi at work, home, and at school, which are the primary places of use

21. vidsmart macrumors member

I dropped to 200MB to use the savings to offset the monthly cost of a Verizon Mifi. (Mainly to use my wireless iPad anytime.) I have a long commute to work so I turn cellular data off on my iPhone, and use the Mifi to check email and browse the web (at stoplights and traffic jams only!) Once the NFL season starts, I will use Mifi to occasionally catch portions of games on the iPhone if I am on the road. Between wifi at home and work, and the Mifi device, 200MB is a breeze for me.

22. jlamb0 macrumors member

I jumped at the opportunity for a cheaper plan!
    I've been really careful to use wi-fi whenever possible, and even though I haven't sacrificed ANY use (IMs, google maps, email, twitter, facebook, etc.), I've managed to stay under 50 MB this month.

I think 200 MB/month will suit me just fine.

23. jooak macrumors member

Perfect for me now!

Right now I'm around wifi 98% of the time. When I use data I check email and rss feeds with Byline. I sometimes also use Mapquest mobile for gps nav. When I start college I think I might move up to the 2 gb plan or hack the unlimited.

24. KapitanIksrog macrumors regular

I'm on unlimited but my wife is on 200. She uses it for browsing, e-mail, and AIM. We are both on wifi most of the time. Only thing I don't like is that we are on wifi and microcell at home. Almost every night her phone pushes e-mails and, because it isn't "awake", it uses data over the microcell instead of wifi. This is kind of lame because it accounts for almost 40 MB a month on average.