Anyone on their 2nd iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by itcheroni, Nov 8, 2007.

1. itcheroni macrumors 6502a

I just bought a 4gb iPhone to replace my current 8gb iPhone(nothing wrong with it, just don't need the space. I'm guessing I can probably get 50 bucks from the difference when I sell it). But I can't just switch sim cards and I don't know what else to do. I was on hold with Apple for 5 minutes before giving up. Can anyone share their experiences?

2. ghostshadow777 macrumors member

ghostshadow777

You don't need to contact Apple. Just connect to iTunes and select replace a current phone with this phone, easy as pie.

3. ejrizo macrumors 6502

ejrizo

not as easy as pie.. it will ask you to start a new 2 year contract... trust me i lost my phone and when i thought it was easy as pie... it turned out to be a nightmare... i got a new phone and it was forcing me on a 2 year contract... many phone calls and discussions with att both retail and phone service... not a very good experience at all

but since the original poster says he has his old phone .. i think all you have to do is swap out the sim card and you are fine... ive seen the apple geniuses do it... and it automatically activates the new phone by inserting the sim.

4. mrtune macrumors 6502a

I'm on my second phone. It took the apple geniuses and my local store about 1 minute to get me switched out. The first phone was defective.

Swap the sim card out of the old phone and into the new phone, then activate it through itunes and restore it using your last sync.

Now, if you no longer have the old sim card, I'm not sure what the procedure is.

5. danny_w macrumors 601

I returned my original iPhone after 3 days because of "No SIM Found" or some such malarkey. They gave me a new phone and told me to go through the activation procedure again. Perhaps it extended my contract by 3 days, but it was so new I really didn't care at that point. It was quick and painless.

6. itcheroni thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the responses. I did try swapping the SIM card but it didn't seem to work.

If I use the new SIM and simply "activate" it, will everything stay the same save the extension in contact? I'm just afraid of the hassle of AT&T trying to charge me for another $20 data package or something like that.

7. danny_w macrumors 601

I wa afraid of that too, but they only charged me for one data plan. Everything else stayed the same.

8. itcheroni thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well I went ahead and activated it. I may have been worrying about nothing but we'll see. Guess it's time to unlock and ebay my 8 giger.