Anyone order a new Mac Pro recently

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Check 6, Mar 24, 2012.

  1. Check 6 macrumors regular

    Nov 12, 2007
    If you have read my thread " the end of the tunnel" you will know that apple has decided to replace my Mac Pro for numerous issues. The question is, for anyone that has ordered ( not bought a pre-configured one in the store) a Mac Pro recently. How long did it take from the order date to delivery? There seems to be a delay in mine coming and thus the question as it might reflect inventory at the distribution/ build site. Thanks
  2. steveOooo macrumors 6502a

    Jun 30, 2008
    3-5 days from apple refurb store in late oct 2011 - not recent thou...
  3. Check 6 thread starter macrumors regular

    Nov 12, 2007
    Thanks,it has been a week and hopefully I will know something tomorrow. I have this gut feeling that I can't shake that this may be a sign the Mac Pro is going away. On that negative thought ( and at my age I have learned not to be negative) I have priced out a loaded Imac as a replacement. My one issue with the Imac is the glossy screen which is fatiguing on my eyes for extended periods, plus the ambient glare. I have the Apple 30" cinima display which is great. On the other hand it would be nice to have fewer boxes around the desk. Oh well, let's see what tomorrow brings.
  4. mdgm macrumors 6502a

    Nov 2, 2010
    If the Mac Pro was going away one would think they'd still be able to find one to replace your old one.

    If they are updating it soon or winding down production in preparation for an update then stocks could be quite limited.

    Like with the Xserve if they discontinue it one would expect they would give some time for customers who wish to to purchase some units to do so.
  5. twoodcc macrumors P6


    Feb 3, 2005
    Right side of wrong
    let us know if you find out anything tomorrow
  6. macpro2000 macrumors 6502a

    Apr 20, 2005
    Wirelessly posted

    Question many of these things are they going to sell if they decide they're going to be discontinued...I bet a lot... especially if they drop the price to clear them out. I know I'm going to get one.
  7. 24Frames macrumors regular

    Mar 23, 2012
    If they were being discontinued Apple would have announced that they were being discontinued in January, well ahead of the Intel E5 launch.

    Hope you get some news soon.
  8. Check 6 thread starter macrumors regular

    Nov 12, 2007
    Another weekend has passed and no news. A tech from the Apple store did call Friday to say they had not received the new Tower nor had they heard any word concerning shipping and or arrival date. I must admit I'm getting frustrated but trying to remain calm..... not a normal trait for an old Fighter Pilot. Anyway they have had my Mac Pro and all my software basically sine mid Feb. Oh well, not much I can do so let's see if I hear anything today.
  9. K1dGorgeous macrumors newbie

    Mar 8, 2008

    Can't find it at the moment but some one posted that they ordered a fully loaded 12-core mac pro a few weeks ago and the order was canceled by apple. This usually happens around refreshes.
  10. Check 6 thread starter macrumors regular

    Nov 12, 2007
    Would like to know more about the specifics of that. As i said my local ( well 60 miles away) Apple store has heard nothing except that Apple has received the order for my new Mac Pro.... that's it. A new model would be nice after all this wait.
  11. Check 6 thread starter macrumors regular

    Nov 12, 2007
    Another day, well actually another week gone by and still nothing on the replacement. I have been without my Mac Pro since early Feb. and nothing firm on when this saga might end. Still would like to know if anyone has received a custom configured Mac Pro lately.
  12. 24Frames macrumors regular

    Mar 23, 2012
    Delivery times are slipping a little on stock configurations.
    Japanese store now has a dispatch time of 5-7 days on 12-Core, up from 3 days earlier this week.
    Europe slipped from immediate delivery on 4-Core and 8-Core systems to 3 days on all configurations except server 1-3 a couple of weeks ago.

    We are getting closer to something!?
  13. kylepro88 macrumors regular


    Jul 30, 2006
    I thought about ordering a new one, but instead opted for a used MacPro 8-core 2.93. Other then the 12-core which was a bit expensive even used, the 8-core 2.93 is the 2nd best. Not sure I would buy a new one at the moment.
  14. derbothaus macrumors 601


    Jul 17, 2010
    The new ones should be considered used at this point.
    2nd best at what? It is slower than the 2.66GHz 12-core AND the 2.93GHz 12-core making it 3rd and the hex is faster at iTunes:D
    Just taking the piss. Congrats, it is a great machine.
  15. Check 6 thread starter macrumors regular

    Nov 12, 2007
    Almost happy days are here. Got a call that my replacement Mac Pro has arrived at the Apple store and they are migrating all my aps etc to it. The head tech will completely ring it out before I bring it home, but the long ordeal is about over and I should have it before weeks end.
  16. Zwhaler macrumors 604


    Jun 10, 2006
    What model did you order?
  17. markmason macrumors newbie

    Apr 16, 2012
    I ordered a Mac Pro March 29. Still don't have it

    I've never had to wait this long on a computer from Apple before. Ordered March 29, meant to ship "3-5 business days" after ordering, April 5th I get an email saying the revised ship date is Apr 11, with the exact same wording they were sending to people who ordered iMacs last year:

    But that date came and went with still no word from Apple.

    I ordered a 12-core Mac Pro with the upgraded 2.93 GHz processors and the upgraded video card. Otherwise it's stock.
  18. wallysb01 macrumors 65816

    Jun 30, 2011
    Maybe they are doing you a favor, and in the mean time they will upgrade to sandy bridge xeons, you can cancel your order, then place a new order for the newer machine.
  19. getz76 macrumors 6502a


    Jun 15, 2009
    Hell, AL
  20. markmason macrumors newbie

    Apr 16, 2012
    I believe you have 14 days after you buy your machine to get a free bump-up to a newly released model.

    Meanwhile I have $1,000 of third party RAM sitting on my desk I may have to return. Anybody know what RAM is paired with the new XEON's?
  21. wallysb01 macrumors 65816

    Jun 30, 2011
    The same stuff will work. You probably bought 1066 or 1333 MHz ram. The new xeons can make use of 1600 MHz, but they don't have to. And 1600 MHz ECC Ram is still quite expensive, and I haven't seen any sticks bigger than 4 GB either. So if you bought higher density 1333 (must be 16 GB sticks at $1000 right?), you should probably just use it.
  22. markmason macrumors newbie

    Apr 16, 2012
    Phew. Yeah this is what I bought:
    64GB (4x16GB) DDR3 ECC PC10600 1333MHz

    Honestly, I'd be happy with Thunderbolt, new XEON, and SATA III...


    More food for thought, the online store went down briefly on Apr 11, the same day that was my originally revised ship date. It was also the week before NAB.

    I'm curious if there's been some kind of change in the release which caused delays.
  23. dblessin macrumors newbie

    Jul 13, 2007

    Sooooo.... What you're saying is that you still haven't received your new machine? I too am waiting on a product refresh to get a new machine so hopefully it's soon. My old 8-core from 2007 just isn't cutting it anymore... Let us know how it all works out.
  24. markmason macrumors newbie

    Apr 16, 2012
    Correct. No machine has been delivered.

    No tracking number or shipment confirmation.

    Last word from Apple was the email giving me an "estimated revised shipping date on or before April 11, 2012"

    Oh, and Apple Online Store still shows 2-4 days shipping turnaround for this configuration.
  25. 24Frames macrumors regular

    Mar 23, 2012

    I suspect that the Easter Break might have got in the way. I would have been surprised if they had released anything in the week after Easter, too much potential for delays in the supply chain with back to back Friday and Monday holidays (although not of course in the US).

    I wonder if there are some delays on the GPU side?

    With two more rounds of iPad 3 rollout on April 20th and 27th, which may use all Apple's available delivery capacity, it is anyone's guess what else Apple might/could release this month!

    Story on front page on Final Cut X is interesting. Apple still clearly want to target the Pro market with it, so we clearly need updated Mac Pros to run it on!

    I hope that it works out for you, whatever you end up with!

Share This Page