Anyone order an ipad from Frys.com??

Discussion in 'iPad' started by byeehaaw, Mar 13, 2011.

1. byeehaaw macrumors 6502

Hey guys i placed an order over the phone on saturday afternoon... they said shipping times were going to be from 2-3 weeks. I was wondering if anyone who ordered from there got a shipment notification? The only reason why i ordered from them is that they don't charge tax in NY. Please let me know... Plus i hate how they charged my debit card, but i know for a fact it has not shipped... Now im sitting without 500 bucks in my account and no ipad for another 2-3 weeks.

2. Higgs1 macrumors 6502

Higgs1

thats a crappy practice to charge before they ship, if its just an authorization charge (that will go away in a day or so) thats different but if they take your money out that early I wouldn't order with them.

3. DarwinOSX macrumors 65816

B&H had them in stock earlier today and are supposed to be getting a bunch tomorrow. Try their physical store.

4. byeehaaw thread starter macrumors 6502

well... the whole point is that i wanted to avoid tax, so therefore i ordered from frys. Too bad B&H is in NY :(. What really pisses me off is that they take the funds out before they ship anything... This has happened to me before in the black friday fiasco FRYS had with the $200 32" TVS. I actually just wanted to know if they started shipping out anything from orders placed on launch day.

5. byeehaaw thread starter macrumors 6502

anyone get theirs shipped out today? if so what model and when did you order?

6. MooseBlood macrumors member

I ordered from Frys. Mine still says backordered and they told me it would be 2 weeks (I ordered within about 15 minutes of the 5 PM sales going 'live' after waiting on hold). I didn't care much on speed, as I was just attempting to get it for my wife's birthday on March 31st, so the closer to that date I get it the better (less time to have to hide it!). I've always had good service with outpost/frys including ordering a huge Sony TV that was delivered in perfect shape, a vacuum, electric razor, ipod, and a few other nick-nacks. So I figured why not?

If it isn't here on the 31st though I'll be bummed out. If it doesn't look like it is going to ship in time to be here for her big day I'll go local and scavenge one up and call and cancel my Frys order. I hope I don't have to though. I actually feel like they offer pretty good customer service and I'd rather give my money to Frys 800 miles away than the awful Target and Best Buy 2 miles from my house. It has nothing to do with taxes (I will gladly pay tax), but has everything to do with poor service, like when I waited in line for a Wii at both and was the first person to NOT get one, yet they couldn't come out 2 hours before when the workers showed up and said "Hey, we only have 13, not 14!" so everybody including myself could go home and go to bed.

One interesting note from Frys..... I talked to the order taker for a while as we were putting in my order just chit-chatting and I asked if the iPad would be coming from San Jose as that is where she was located, and she said no, it would be coming from Memphis (hmmmmmm Fedex hub?) but would ship ground. I asked if she had access to what was available at what store as my brother was standing in line in Burbank and she said "Yes, they are out of 16 gb black wi-fi models in Burbank. Want me to check another store? He might be able to go get it and mail it to you faster than we can get it."

So, just an FYI. You can apparently call Frys customer service and they can real time into store inventory, which I know the people at the store haven't always been as nice about doing when I've called an individual store.

Good luck all. Let me know if yours ships so I can watch for the one for my sweet wife. She deserves it more than anybody I know for having to live through about 5 back surgeries with me over the last 3 years. She's a champ and if I can come through on this one thing for her special day I'll be quite pleased and I know she'll LOVE IT!

7. byeehaaw thread starter macrumors 6502

i wish i could say i've had the same experience with their customer service, but ill give it to them... during black friday they did own up to their mistake and honored their prices. The money i save on tax will allow me to purchase a smart cover lol. I wish they didnt charge for shipping tho

8. MooseBlood macrumors member

I am admittedly not much of a shopper, and have NEVER shopped on a Black Friday anywhere. What happened on Black Friday at Frys? The first time I ever waited in line for a product was for the Gamecube and I got one easy after a 15 minute wait. I tried the same with the Wii and got burned twice. So now I try to order things online and figure if they want me to have one bad enough they'll manufacture enough to get one to me. Every day I don't have one is one less day I'm not spending money on the thing, right? It is in their best interest to get it to me. :)

9. MooseBlood macrumors member

Hmmmmmm

Well MooseBlood spoketh too soon it appears. I just got this friendly little middle of the night email from my good pals at Frys. I wonder how much they oversold and are now trying to get people to back off and buy at the stores? Or maybe this is an auto email on anything that gets backordered. I was told straight out the arrival date in their warehouse was 2 weeks from Friday and it would ship to me on that date. It wasn't a wishy-washy response. It was, "We are receiving our allotment 2 weeks from today and yours will be in that group, so it should show up just fine for her birthday!" (me... smiling on the other end, and all happy thinking I'd done something right for a change!).

But here is what just randomly showed up in my inbox. Thank goodness I'm an insomniac:

Thank you for your order. We apologize but the item(s) you
    ordered are currently out of stock and we are unable to provide
    a definite ship date at this time. However, we continually
    receive new merchandise in our warehouse and we hope to fulfill
    your order within the next thirty days or sooner if possible.

At this time, your order is still pending and will ship as soon
    as the item(s) are in stock. Your order number is ______________ .

If you would prefer to cancel, change, or check the status of
    your order, you may do so at anytime prior to shipment by
    calling customer service at 1-(408)350-1484 or e-mail us at
    service@cs.frys.com. If you choose to cancel your order
    we will provide a full and prompt refund of any charges which
    you may have incurred for unshipped items.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Thank you for choosing Frys.com

Sincerely,

Frys.com
    Customer Service

Tel: 1-408-350-1484
    Fax: 1-408-487-4700
    E-mail: service@cs.frys.com
    http://www.outpost.com/entry?site=macs:outpost

Domestic orders: We ship in stock items using the ship method
    you selected. All remaining out of stock items will ship to
    you as soon as they are received at no additional charge.

So.... anybody want to have pity on a guy stuck in bed due to a back full of rods and disc implants and help me find a basic iPad 2 wi-fi 16 gb model before March 31st? I can probably get my brother to go to the store and pick it up if they'll be in stock for sure and I pay him extra (as he'll have to miss some work time). It's just a matter of finding one. I can't go stand in a line. My standing limit is 10 minutes, and if I ask my spouse to do it she'll have the surprise spoiled and nobody wants to stand in line for their own birthday present! Just when I think I had it all worked out to come through big with a sweet b-day present for once I get cursed by the shipping Gods somehow. CURSES CURSES CURSES!

So those of you ordering from Frys. How many others got this pleasant note when you woke up this AM? I am guessing they are redirecting as many as possible to retail to quiet the customers who show up in line and throw hissy fits. It's easier to blow off a customer through an email than the guy standing at the door yelling at the manager. Right?

10. byeehaaw thread starter macrumors 6502

oh my goodness lol. I havent received that email... but i also ordered hours after you. This could be due to apple changing it ship times to 4-5 weeks... grr! i feel like im giong to get that email shortly. any others get that email? What color did you order?

11. MooseBlood macrumors member

I just ordered the basic black 16 gig wi-fi only model figuring it would be easiest to get. I guess I was wrong. I assumed Apple would make more of that model as I've looked at stores and seen WAY WAY more stock on that particular model of original iPads than any other of the old school model. I assumed that was due to larger sales numbers on those.... but maybe it is because they can't sell them and have a ton left over and made less this time around! D'oh!

12. byeehaaw thread starter macrumors 6502

called in today trying to add a smartcover to my backordered ipad... i couldnt do it because if i were to add it, the authorization on my ipad would be lost therefore losing my space in line. I will seek to buy the smartcover elsewhere. as for stock, she said she is unsure and will know more details later on this week... i hope they find out/ship sooner.

13. byeehaaw thread starter macrumors 6502

I also received the email this morning stating that they do not know if it is possible to fulfill my order within the next 30 days... ugh!

14. MooseBlood macrumors member

Any updates from Frys? I'm thinking about canceling in the morning and just trying to buy local. It would be nice if they'd at least give updates that matched what they said when they sold it (meaning, you are still on schedule for March 25th shipping date!) or something else like that. Guess not. Backordered is all it still says.

15. byeehaaw thread starter macrumors 6502

i've been calling everyday... CS is horrible they have no idea about anything... every day they keep saying 2-3 weeks, yet they have no idea when they are going to get shipments in. According to that email we may not get it within 30 days.. meaning its more like 4-5 weeks... bottom line.. no one knows anything. hope we get proven wrong and they get a shipment in asap

16. MooseBlood macrumors member

I think I'll cancel. They've got their heads where the sun don't shine. They tell me one thing as a fact when ordering (not an estimate, a fact) but the two times I've talked since they say they have no idea. So I get the same runaround as you. It seems like they were told to say whatever it takes to get an order locked in on day 1. Then they are supposed to just wing it now and act discouraging. At least lie to me and say "It should be any day!" that way they'll get to keep my money for a few more days at least. :)

I think I'm going the OG Ipad refurb route it looks like. My kids break everything in five minutes anyway. I hope my wife isn't too disappointed. I did try to get her the nice new one though. I honestly tried. I will let her read these threads later. I tried dear!

17. iLuis macrumors member

They not are taking your money, they just check if you have money in your account if you check your statements online you can see is on hold. :mad:

18. byeehaaw thread starter macrumors 6502

So i lost my spot on line cuz i had to change my order from a 16gb to a 32.... The agent said it was okay because frys had ordred a "massive" amount and it should be fulfilled around the same time frame. I'm not sure how credible that information is... i would imagine some stock would trickle in a little at a time, but apparently they havent even shipped out 1 ipad 2. This is probably the worst place to order... all to save tax in NY. grrrr haha ~ 50 bucks, but to a college student like me, thats alot (or a free smart cover)

19. Bloake macrumors 6502

Bloake

Ordered from Fry's.com too. Anyone else get charged 6.99 shipping? I assumed it was free =/

20. byeehaaw thread starter macrumors 6502

yea i was charged shipping... anyhoot still waiting on frys..... they still havent gotten any in i think.. however they finally said next week. I already got a few ipads in from target, but i really wanted it from frys to save on tax in NY. anyone else had their order shipped? I cant even check my status online....