Anyone ordered a AT&T model thru AT&T store and seeing progress?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by harpyeagle, Mar 18, 2011.

1. harpyeagle macrumors regular

Mar 18, 2011
    I ordered a AT&T 32G Black at the AT&T store couple of days back and status has been saying "In Progress" since - I know I am impatient as its been only 2 days when my order's actual estimated ship time is 14-21 *business* days, but still wanted to check if someone ordered it earlier and seeing progress.

I have been at the apple store between 5-5:30AM last three days and was in #9,#3 and #18 in the line trying to get one, but still got the line "We have no ATT models today"

So today, I got the 64G Black WiFi even though I only wanted the AT&T just to pacify myself for the troubles that I took last 3 days.

IMO, At this point, there is a very very slim chance to get a ATT model at Apple stores. Anyone thinking the same? I am also asking why is Apple reluctant to be forthcoming about the ATT shortage that could atleast prevent people wanting the ATT model from undergoing the trouble of standing in line. I am sure they are not obligated to it, but would be a nice gesture to loyal customers, nonetheless.

BTW, I tried the target inventory links in this forum as well, but Target stores here in Raleigh, NC haven't got anything except the 16G White for the last couple of days I've been checking...

2. CerealKillers macrumors member

Mar 16, 2011
    I think they AT&T shortage has something to do with next Friday's international launch day. Since the rest of the world works with GSM, they might be keeping those iPads in storage so they have some for the launch on the 25th.
  3. harpyeagle thread starter macrumors regular

Mar 18, 2011
    Being the company they are, Apple should know the GSM models would be the most in demand as they sell all over the globe as opposed to a CDMA.

In any case, I would expect them to be shipping atleast very minor quantities of these models to the Apple stores. Apparently, Target sold more ATT models than the Apple stores going by what people say here in the forum.
  4. kevjen888 macrumors 6502

Jul 13, 2008
    i'm in the same boat as OP, placed my order through local AT&T store on 3/15 and the status has been "in progress" ever since. they said the wait time is 14-21 days but i still checking my email every hour hoping to see some good news.
  5. harpyeagle thread starter macrumors regular

Mar 18, 2011
    Just as a FYI, you can also check your AT&T order status at
  6. noahc macrumors member

Oct 12, 2005
    Also ordered on 3/15. Also still "in progress". With their 2-3 week estimate, I'm trying to be patient and just waiting for the first week of April which is when I think they're realistically arrive.

Kicking myself for not ordering at the AT&T store on 3/11 when I had a chance. I thought, "I'll be able to find one before the 2 weeks they're telling me it will take". If I only knew...

AT&T site now says 3-4 weeks for people that order today.
  7. harpyeagle thread starter macrumors regular

Mar 18, 2011
    oh wow - I didn't know that. This date bump probably tells us that they might indeed stick to the predicted dates w/o a potential stretch - fingers crossed.
  8. JenBen75 macrumors newbie

Mar 12, 2011
    Did AT&T make you purchase a data plan? That is my only resistence by going through AT&T...
  9. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

Nov 14, 2002
    Charleston, SC
    I wish I had ordered on 3/12. The girl told me it was a 5-8 day wait, and I told her I figured I could find one in store sometime next week. What a fool I was.
  10. iPhone1 macrumors 65816

Apr 2, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    Try contacting their customer service people via Twitter. They helped me somewhat during the iPhone 4 launch. I made the mistake of ordering my iPhone 4 via AT&T last year.
  11. noahc macrumors member

Oct 12, 2005
    They make you choose a data plan but in fact they gave me the first month of a 2GB plan for "free". I'll cancel after that (or downgrade). No contract.
  12. darkknight11 macrumors member

Mar 10, 2011
    I ordered on 3/12 - 11AM ET via phone rep because I was "scared" that I would be locked into a contract. There was no message on their website at the time of "20-25 business days wait"

The rep put in for free-2 BD shipping, but reminded me that it could take 7-21 business days. I feel that is BS because it didn't say any wait time at the time I could have placed the order online. However, no contract required by rep and also free 2GB plan (post-plan option only) for first month. Can someone get this if they buy the order from Apple and call AT&T?

I have been "In Progress" since 10:50AM on 3/14 (Monday) and received Terms and Conditions email on 3/15 (Tuesday). Still NOTHING! Even my order which had a ship date of 4/1 for iPad2 (still waiting) and Black Leather case - ship date 03/25, has been shipped!!

What false hope by AT&T. if I dont receive a shipping notice by early next week, I will cancel AT&T and just wait out the Apple order ...maybe their finally catching up on inventory.
  13. harpyeagle thread starter macrumors regular

Mar 18, 2011
    No, the data plan is not required and I was able to order just the Ipad. I guess online might say so, but try ordering one personally at a AT&T store.
  14. richlee111 macrumors regular

Feb 27, 2011
    I placed my order on 3/12 at around 7PM. The status still says "In Progress."
  15. kvizzel macrumors 6502a

Jan 15, 2011
  16. belder, Mar 19, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2011

belder macrumors newbie

Mar 19, 2011
    I ordered my iPad AT&T 3G on Sunday March 13. The AT&T rep showed me on the computer that shipping was 5 to 7 days. My status has been "In Progress" ever since. At any rate, I think I might be higher in the cue than someone who ordered two days ago.

Thank you for this thread. I'll post any progress or change I see in my order status. Somehow I find it reassuring that my card won't be billed until it ships and that there's nothing in the "Back order" column listed in my status. If I don't see a change by Wednesday I'll assume they can no longer honor their 5-7 day shipping claim.
  17. harpyeagle thread starter macrumors regular

Mar 18, 2011
    I got mine today, but crappy service as they didn't notify me when it was in the store. I had to find it out myself by tracking it and later calling the store confirming they received it as it was shipped to the store.

Probably last time ordering from AT&T, but glad that at least they were able to keep up their promise of 14-21 business days...