Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

harrypham

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 9, 2014
SA, Texas
I used 3rd generation Apple TV on my 50” Sony Internet TV since 2013. Last year, I just got a Sony X900H 65” which is based on Android TV. The UI is overcomplicated and I cannot install many apps because internal storage is very limite. In addition, YouTube stopped working for a week until I did a factory reset. After debating with myself whether or not I should get an Apple TV 4K, I just decided to order a 64GB one. All people in my family use Apple product, so Apple TV may fit better than Android TV does.
Anyone else owns TVs that run Android TV, Web OS, or Tizen OS but decided to get an Apple TV 4K?

Last edited:

grahamwright1

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2008
North of the Border
All our TV's run Web OS but I really dislike the vendor tracking that comes with using them, so every TV has an Apple TV 4K attached. I have little faith in the TV vendors continuing to update their individual app's, so combine that with then desire to track everything makes the Apple TV's the perfect devices for me.

Now after saying that, not sure I'll bother updating to the latest one as I haven't seen any signs that the existing ones are overloaded, or sluggish in operation. The new remote is nice, but not worth the cost of updating the current units. I DO wish that Apple would improve the Computer app as we have all our movies stored in iTunes on a local system. Not being able to search locally stored content is just a horrible user experience, and NOT what we expect from Apple.

Reactions: chabig
Comment

addictive

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2008
Purchased my first Apple TV after waiting a whole year from the leak about it being ready to go. I do think what Apple are releasing has been ready for a year. I have no idea what delayed them apart from the pandemic. I also think Apple will probably release some type of Apple TV Pro or Arcade Gaming machine in the next 24 months.

I have a budget Sony TV which has quite mediocre software and a two apps: YouTube and Prime which haven't always worked well. A recent software update has improved functionality for YouTube but Prime is still very slow. However, I know the Apple TV and its new remote is going to be a game changer.

I refused to buy the Apple TV version which is over four years old and hadn't been reduced in price. I'm not a gamer so Apple Arcade won't be an attraction for me. If my mind changes then I'd buy a proper controller for it.

I'm really looking forward to getting it and playing around with it. I know I'm going to use it with a Cat cable as it will be close to the router for ethernet.

I have one HomePod and was considering purchasing a second to hook up for stereo sound for my new Apple TV but since HomePod has been discontinued that won't be an option. Surely Apple has something else planned most likely with (multiple) HomePod Mini giving a similar effect?

Comment

MarkAtl

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2019
All our TV's run Web OS but I really dislike the vendor tracking that comes with using them, so every TV has an Apple TV 4K attached. I have little faith in the TV vendors continuing to update their individual app's, so combine that with then desire to track everything makes the Apple TV's the perfect devices for me.

Now after saying that, not sure I'll bother updating to the latest one as I haven't seen any signs that the existing ones are overloaded, or sluggish in operation. The new remote is nice, but not worth the cost of updating the current units. I DO wish that Apple would improve the Computer app as we have all our movies stored in iTunes on a local system. Not being able to search locally stored content is just a horrible user experience, and NOT what we expect from Apple.
Plex? Infuse?

Comment

HappySponge

macrumors member
Feb 10, 2018
Right now I am using the PS4 Pro to stream Netflix, YouTube, etc. I am quite looking forward to having the new Apple TV (delivery 5/21 - 5/27) to replace it for a few reasons:

1. Can replace my TV remote for on/off so one less remote there
2. Replaces the ps4 controllers for navigating which the wife hates- so major bonus there
3. My receiver has Airplay but it is implemented poorly (disconnects all the time) , so having the Apple TV I can set my receiver to a default volume/input and wont have to use the remote for that ever again.
4. Ps4 network/UI/etc leave a lot to be desired

Comment

grahamwright1

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2008
North of the Border
Plex? Infuse?
I like the interface with the Apple TV Computer app, and have tried both Plex and Infuse but didn't really like their interfaces that much. Since all the movies have been ripped and tagged with iTunes compatible data, I'd rather stay with the familiar UI, even if they don't have a local search....... but I REALLY wish Apple would implement local content search :)

Last edited:
Comment

MacDaddyPanda

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2018
USA
I'm replacing my existing Apple TV 4K. No reason other than cause. Mild future anticipation and slightly better performance. Even though reviews say it's minimal.

Reactions: moyjoy
Comment

Che Castro

macrumors 603
May 21, 2009
Yes moving the old 4K ATV to the bedroom , the A12 to The living room

I wonder does the old power cable work with the new 2021 ATV4k and vice versa?

im too lazy to dig around behind the tv to change them

Reactions: moyjoy
Comment

macbuzzr

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2021
Yes moving the old 4K ATV to the bedroom , the A12 to The living room

I wonder does the old power cable work with the new 2021 ATV4k and vice versa?

im too lazy to dig around behind the tv to change them

Since Apple didn't use any special plugs, it should be no problem to use the old one.

BTW, what is the length of the old ATV4K's power cord? Could anyone please check that?

Comment

topbin

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2020
UK
Yeah I've ordered one, my existing TV is just the version 3 so is lacking support for loads of stuff (BBC iPlayer, BT Sport, Disney+, Netflix UI is awful), but I've had it 8 years or so now so hoping this one will be similarly future proof. I don't have huge usage case for it but I have so much on the Apple network (bought films, TV etc.) that I like the UI of Apple TV for all this.

I also have a couple of HomePod minis dotted around the house so if there's a blockbuster when the wife and kids are away I might move those down and have some extra good sound on it!

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.