Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

asphalt-proof

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 15, 2003
Magrathea
I am looking at purchasing a new smartphone (the iPhone is NOT going to meet my needs unfortunately). I am with Cingular and looking at the Blackjack or the Cingular 3125. I currently have a Treo 600.

Has anyone used the 3125? I have looked at reveiws and such but wanted some your opinions. How easy is data entry (adding calendar items, contacts, etc.) Phone reception, baterry life, any 3rd party add-ons. etc.

rickray

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2002
I have the non-camera version, Cingular 3100

Hi,

I've had this phone for about a month now. The interface is great and the form factor is nice, having a clamshell over a candybar style. I have noticed that the phone sometimes hangs and requires a reboot. Could be the phone, might be Windows Mobile (go figure). I would say if you are a treo user the input might be awkward for you, going from keyboard to number pad entry. Have you considered the treo 750 that Cingular has just announced as available?

I will say one advantage to the 3125/3100 and blackjack phones over the treos and such is the data plan price. My unlimited smartphone data plan is approx. $19.99 a month, whereas the standard pda data plan is around $45 a month.

asphalt-proof

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 15, 2003
Magrathea
Hi,

I've had this phone for about a month now. The interface is great and the form factor is nice, having a clamshell over a candybar style. I have noticed that the phone sometimes hangs and requires a reboot. Could be the phone, might be Windows Mobile (go figure). I would say if you are a treo user the input might be awkward for you, going from keyboard to number pad entry. Have you considered the treo 750 that Cingular has just announced as available?

I will say one advantage to the 3125/3100 and blackjack phones over the treos and such is the data plan price. My unlimited smartphone data plan is approx. $19.99 a month, whereas the standard pda data plan is around $45 a month.

When I tried to configure the smartphone plan with a Blackjack, it wouldn't allow me the option. ONly the PDA plan. How did you get the smartphone plan?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.