Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Steven1621

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2003
Connecticut
let me sum up what most people will say:

it's an incredible lcd. on the technical level, it is superior to the apple LCDs in many ways. it is a dell, though, and had a dell look to it. you made a solid choice.

desenso

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2005
I own one. I use it for my PC. There are a LOT of reports that they continue to ship monitors with strong backlights that are visible when the screen is dark. Mine has no such issue.

It's ultra bright, has great inputs, has a nice stand and a good range of rotation. All in all, a great screen - I have no regrets.

You made a good buy. And if you do have one with the backlight issue, just send it back...

adk

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2005
Stuck in the middle with you
I just got mine today. Dell's shipping was INCREDIBLE! I ordered the monitor with UPS ground on sunday night, it arrived a little before noon today. thats what, 36 hours? I'm amazed.

Anyways, I LOVE the monitor. extremely bright and clear. It actually makes my 15" Powerbook's screen look cheap and dull. Rotating it is great for looking at web pages. since most of them are 1024 pixels wide, I can see the entire width and twice the length of what I can normally see. The backlight bleeds in the corners a little on an all black screen, but unless you're anal about it it won't mind. The screen ghosts a little, but also not a big deal and doesn't get in the way of anything. If you've got the money, go for it.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I find screen rotation on the 2005FPW wierd. Widescreen just looks way bizzare in Portrait mode. You wouldn't think it would look as stretched as it does :rolleyes:

zen.state

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 13, 2005
Veritas&Equitas said:
Should've ponied up for the 2405, it's like a taste of heaven using it :D

many reports have shown that the 2405 does not work well with the mac mini. the 2005 on the other hand works perfectly.

adk

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2005
MacRumorUser said:
I find screen rotation on the 2005FPW wierd. Widescreen just looks way bizzare in Portrait mode. You wouldn't think it would look as stretched as it does :rolleyes:

You're definitely right on that. But since mose web pages are 1024 pixels wide it's the perfect width for your browser. I have mine rotated right now and i can see a ton of posts at once. awesome!

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Sure its a different thing altogher but if i lie down and look at my living rooms 32" tube widescreen TV i see how long widescreen actually is. its a little funny. maybe its just my head making it funny though :D

but anyways. im after one of these monitors too. a gift from my parents for christmas which will coincide wonderfully with my new love for photography. 8mp images on that screen will be a delight. i just shuddered thinking about it :eek:

i play to use this monitors component/composite input with a good quality Freeview box too :)

Chrispy

macrumors 68020
Dec 27, 2004
Indiana
Steven1621 said:
let me sum up what most people will say:

it's an incredible lcd. on the technical level, it is superior to the apple LCDs in many ways. it is a dell, though, and had a dell look to it. you made a solid choice.

I own one and completely agree with this statement :)

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Plus you can plug your Xbox 360 into the spare VGA slot (using obviously the VGA cable) and the Dell will run both 720p and 1080i

A mac mini on one side of the desk and a PowerPC console on the other for gaming - BLISS :D :D :D

cubist

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2002
Muncie, Indiana
MacRumorUser said:
... A mac mini on one side of the desk and a PowerPC console on the other for gaming - BLISS :D :D :D

For a while I was running a G5 on the DVI, a PC on the VGA, and a GameCube on the Composite. No problems whatsoever (altho GBP games in the GC did look chunky).

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
cubist said:
For a while I was running a G5 on the DVI, a PC on the VGA, and a GameCube on the Composite. No problems whatsoever (altho GBP games in the GC did look chunky).

near enough my plan! I have a 12" PB, a potential new gaming PC, Xbox, Gamecube, NES and a freeview box all to be plugged in using switch boxes for multiple inputs. I am going to get so much use out of this thing. going to hang it on the wall too, thus freeing up the massive amount of space currently being gobbled up by my tube 26" TV.

neut

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2001
here (for now)
It's a good monitor. I had to send the first one back, but the replacment was perferct.

The multi-input is very nice; i run my G5 on DVI, a VCR/DVD on composite (which also hosts my GameCube), and an extra VGA cord for hooking up an extra mac (comes in handy when configuring/troubleshooting macs for friends). :)

enjoy.

peace | neut

mrzeve

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2005
neut said:
It's a good monitor. I had to send the first one back, but the replacment was perferct.

The multi-input is very nice; i run my G5 on DVI, a VCR/DVD on composite (which also hosts my GameCube), and an extra VGA cord for hooking up an extra mac (comes in handy when configuring/troubleshooting macs for friends). :)

enjoy.

peace | neut

Defintely agree. This is the most usefull thing about it in my eyes. However when I connected a PS2 to it the quality was pretty weak. But perhaps that was because I was sitting to close. Or maybe there are settings that I do not know of that I needed to change on the monitor or the PS2 it self.

FYI with connecting to your PS2 or DVD player is that there is no audio port on the screen.

One question though, using Tiger and the Mac Mini, how are you guys flipping it into Portrait mode. Surely just physically turning the screen doesnt alter it??

zen.state

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 13, 2005
mrzeve said:
One question though, using Tiger and the Mac Mini, how are you guys flipping it into Portrait mode. Surely just physically turning the screen doesnt alter it??

I have wondered the same thing. Even if it doesn't work its not an issue for me anyway. Main reason I am buying this display is I really want a widescreen.

zen.state

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 13, 2005
BTW..

Thanks to all for your replies. I can't wait till this baby gets here.

Will post when it arrives..

neut

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2001
here (for now)
mrzeve said:

I would assume that they would use the rotate function in System Preferences, Displays.

peace | neut

Xephian

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2005
United States
I've been using mine for almost a year now. I've first got mine close to when they were first released. It's a really good monitor and good for gaming on the PC too. The resolution on it (1680x1050) has plenty of real estate.

adk

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2005
neut said:
I would assume that they would use the rotate function in System Preferences, Displays.

Thats Right.

I just posted this in a thread in mac peripherals here. I'm pretty sure it's my monitor, and i'm hoping it's just because it's a lemon, since everybody else on this forum loves theirs.

zen.state

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 13, 2005
order status

dell is taking longer than expected to get the display to me.

its in the production phase right now. can you guys please tell me how long it took after production to get to you?

here is my current order status:

Attachments

• dell.jpg
    dell.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 133

neut

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2001
here (for now)
zen.state said:
dell is taking longer than expected to get the display to me.

its in the production phase right now. can you guys please tell me how long it took after production to get to you?

here is my current order status:

I don't remeber ... it's the Holidays; what do you expect? Looks like you'll be getting it on the 9th. They already have your money ... ;)

peace | neut

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.