Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DRez8

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 17, 2015
I have the 9.7" iPad Pro and love it and have been debating selling my MBP in favor of the 12.9". Has anyone bought both models and if so, how has your experience been? What do you use each model for?

capathy21

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2014
Houston, Texas
Currently I have both models. I'll only be keeping one. It all depends on what you will be using it for. I've been using the 12.9 as my only computer for about a month now and for the most part it's been great. Granted, my personal computing needs are fairly basic. How often do you use you MacBook? Do you do anything that can't be accomplished on an iPad?

The size alone makes the 12.9 a better laptop replacement than the 9.7. That's not to say the 9.7 can't accomplish the same tasks, but you have less room to work with which means more headache with certain tasks.

If you follow my posts you will see that I have been an advocate of the 12.9. I still am to a certain extent. Today, however, it finally clicked in my head that I really do still need a MacBook for certain things. I am going back to school and I had convinced myself that the 12.9 would be all the computer I would need. Working with it while doing actual work today was quite a pain at times. It's great for surfing and media consumption, but I still cannot be as productive with a touchscreen as I can with a mouse.

As a main machine, the 12.9 is a better option than the 9.7, but for a traditional iPad experience, the 9.7 is better.

I ended up picking up a 2015 retina Macbook today. I still have both iPad pro models, and will be selling one and keeping one.

Since I will be using the iPad as a secondary device, chances are I will actually keep the 9.7. I really do like the 12.9 though. Decisions decisions:)

Reactions: ShaunAFC3

millydog

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2007
Australia
I have both, but also kept my MBP. My MBP is essentially a desktop machine now, in laptop form. It stays on my desk and I use it to handle my iTunes library, back up my own & family iOS devices, convert video for the iPads and maintain files stored on various external media, including my photos. In a few years, when I decide to upgrade my MBP, I may consider replacing it with a large screen iMac.
My 12.9" iPad Pro has then replaced my laptop needs since my MBP is now used as a desktop. I use it at my desk, on my lap with a Smart Cover and my legs up in a recliner, in bed with the Smart Cover on my chest or to the side of me and also alternate taking it and the 9.7" iPad Pro to work with me. I often run a TV show on the 12.9" while using the 9.7" in my hand for reading forums or playing games.
I use the 9.7" for all things and find it really portable, but don't feel it's a laptop replacement like I feel my 12.9" is.
I like both sizes for forum reading....but it depends on my location or what else I am doing. If I want to watch a show, then I use the 12.9 for that and the 9.7 for the forum.
I like the 9.7 for some games, like Candy Crush, but prefer the 12.9 for Clash of Clans, adventure and card games. I prefer the 12.9 for writing my holiday journal, spreadsheets, comics, magazines and regular web browsing.
I'd use my 9.7 for taking photos & video while on holiday, but I can't imagine lugging my 12.9 everywhere while on holiday, but I'd love to have it in the evenings....so my personal dilemma is about which one to take away with me if I go away for a weekend or what about a 6 week trip.
When I got my 9.7 Pro, I passed my Air 2 to my husband and then his Air to one of our daughters. She had been using my mini 2, so I now have that back as well. I thought that I'd like the mini 2 back for book reading, forum reading, some games and handbag portability, but the truth is that I haven't been using it much yet and now that I have the 12.9, the 9.7 actually feels more like a mini. Having used the larger Pro now makes the smaller Pro feel very small, light and portable. So now I think that the 9.7 Pro will become more of my handbag iPad, but sometimes I just have a preference to take the larger iPad and if I had to choose only to have one or the other then I'm not sure which one I'd pick. My head says that the 9.7 is the most portable, does everything that the larger one does and works as a camera, but the larger screen iPad on my lap in the evenings is just awesome and I don't think that I could give that up now. Perhaps if I found a new handbag to fit the 12.9" Pro in, then I'd be right. ;)

gdmedia

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2007
Austin, TX
I moved up to the big iPad Pro from an Air 2 but when the 9.7 Pro's came out, I bought one and sold the 12.9. I loved reading on the big one but I found it too heavy and unwieldy. I think anyone considering buying a large one should try out both, in cases -- which add to the weight -- if possible. Don't just make a decision based on reading but also on ease of handling, because the difference is substantial.

DRez8

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 17, 2015
I rarely use my MacBook anymore because I don't ever need it for typing reports, or any kind of audio/video editing at all. I use to be a student and needed a laptop for school work and I use to be into photography and needed the big screen and USB ports etc., that a laptop provides. Now I have to force myself to reach for my Mac for any kind of small need, in order to get the dust off of it lol.

Currently I have both models. I'll only be keeping one. It all depends on what you will be using it for. I've been using the 12.9 as my only computer for about a month now and for the most part it's been great. Granted, my personal computing needs are fairly basic. How often do you use you MacBook? Do you do anything that can't be accomplished on an iPad?

The size alone makes the 12.9 a better laptop replacement than the 9.7. That's not to say the 9.7 can't accomplish the same tasks, but you have less room to work with which means more headache with certain tasks.

If you follow my posts you will see that I have been an advocate of the 12.9. I still am to a certain extent. Today, however, it finally clicked in my head that I really do still need a MacBook for certain things. I am going back to school and I had convinced myself that the 12.9 would be all the computer I would need. Working with it while doing actual work today was quite a pain at times. It's great for surfing and media consumption, but I still cannot be as productive with a touchscreen as I can with a mouse.

As a main machine, the 12.9 is a better option than the 9.7, but for a traditional iPad experience, the 9.7 is better.

I ended up picking up a 2015 retina Macbook today. I still have both iPad pro models, and will be selling one and keeping one.

Since I will be using the iPad as a secondary device, chances are I will actually keep the 9.7. I really do like the 12.9 though. Decisions decisions:)

capathy21

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2014
Houston, Texas
I rarely use my MacBook anymore because I don't ever need it for typing reports, or any kind of audio/video editing at all. I use to be a student and needed a laptop for school work and I use to be into photography and needed the big screen and USB ports etc., that a laptop provides. Now I have to force myself to reach for my Mac for any kind of small need, in order to get the dust off of it lol.

Then the 12.9 is ideal for you. The only reason I can't make it be my only computer is I am going back to school and will need a full blown computer for certain things. For personal use though, the iPad is more than enough for me, and sounds like it would be for you too.

DRez8

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 17, 2015
Which iPad Pro did you end up keeping?

Then the 12.9 is ideal for you. The only reason I can't make it be my only computer is I am going back to school and will need a full blown computer for certain things. For personal use though, the iPad is more than enough for me, and sounds like it would be for you too.
[doublepost=1461594546][/doublepost]Honestly, to me -- Having two iPads seems like it would be pretty strange. I've never had more than one and I think if I did, one would just get used 20% of the time vs. the other. Maybe I'm wrong - Then there's the side of me that says, don't give up your OS X machine. I've been debating this quite a bit.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr.C and ShaunAFC3

kallyq

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2010
I had both but returned the 9.7 today. I just feel more excited about the 12.9. The screen is big and beautiful, multitasking with the screens side by side works great, the keybord is a great size, and I like the look of this screen better than the 9.7 that I had. I even like reading on the 12.9 in landscape mode with the keyboard attached. I found the only reason I wanted to keep the 9.7 as well was because the screen's antireflective coating works really well. With my 12.9 if I am out in the sun I see myself reflected in the screen but this did not happen with the 9.7. I decided that I could use my Kindle for reading outside in those cases instead of spending $800 on a device to just read outside.

They are both great devices and I think ultimately people will be happy with whatever they choose, or if they choose both :)

paulyras

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2006
Singapore

I would strongly recommend keeping the 12.9 and using Duet to make the iPad a second display. It's pretty awesome.

capathy21

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2014
Houston, Texas
I would strongly recommend keeping the 12.9 and using Duet to make the iPad a second display. It's pretty awesome.

That's an interesting idea. I used to use Duet with my MB Air and iPad Air 2. I guess to me it wouldn't seem right to have a tablet with a larger display than my laptop. But then again, that extra real estate would definitely come in handy.

DRez8

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 17, 2015
Purchased 12.9" IPP last night and the MBP is going to be sold, soon. The 12.9" will serve as my laptop replacement and the 9.7" will be my actual tablet. I'm excited to use the pair and enjoy all they have to offer

TripleMoxy

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2012
UK
I've already got the iPad Pro 12.9, but I'm thinking of buying the 9.7 as well, for a more portable note taking and reading experience.

I love watching content on the 12.9, so I wouldn't want to part with it, but sometimes portability is important to me.

However, I do feel a bit foolish for contemplating buying another device that will doubtless overlap with the 12.9.

Reactions: millydog

DRez8

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 17, 2015
Just wanted to update everyone who's been following this thread - I decided to part ways with the IPP 9.7" and keep the 12.9 as my laptop replacement/tablet. I just dont want to have both and have one collect dust. I thought it would work but I went through this with my MacBook and it was wasteful.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
I own both Pros and a Mini. The Mini has stayed unused. The big Pro in on a stand next to my 27" Apple monitor, and my 9.7" is the one I take with me everywhere and use in bed.

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
For me,
the 12.9 inch one
as a tablet is too big and too heavy for using,
as a notebook/desktop replacement is not powerfull enough.

I agree. As nice as the 12.9" iPad Pro is it's too big to be portable and not versatile or "powerful" enough to be a laptop replacements due to the lack of a full blown OS. That said if I didn't have a 13" Retina MBP as my primary computer I might be tempted to get a 12.9" iPad Pro as well as keep my 9.7" iPad Pro. I do have a Mac Mini but it used more for extra storage capacity then anything else. I can't really justify buying a 12.9" iPad Pro when I have a 13" MBP which is still portable enough if I need a bigger screen. Having all three would be wasteful in my opinion.

DarwinOSX

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2009
I have the 9.7" iPad Pro and love it and have been debating selling my MBP in favor of the 12.9". Has anyone bought both models and if so, how has your experience been? What do you use each model for?

I have both because I love me some true shift screen. But I can wait for it to be on the 12.9 and I love that big piece of glass. It's a little unwieldy but not that bad. It might help that I'm 6'2'.

TheColtr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2014
California
12.9 is usually on my desk for typing purposes and some heavy duty work. I carry the 9.7 around with me for taking notes for work in notability.

So 9.7- portability and pencil
12.9- large screen and keyboard for documents and more "powerful" applications like iMovie and pages.

This may not be the most useful scenario for the two, but when I get them from work I don't complain.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.