iPad mini Anyone pick up a mini in Austin, TX yet?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by DJinTX, Nov 2, 2012.

1. DJinTX macrumors 6502

Did you go to the Apple store (Domain or Barton Creek) or a reseller?
    Were a lot of people waiting to get one?

I can't go until I get out of work at 5, so just curious what the turnout is like.

2. dthree36 macrumors regular

I went to Target in Pflugerville. They only had 5 mini's. Best Buy also has them in stock. Only 4 people out in line and they had all sizes. The Domain had 60 people in line so not sure about their stock.

3. DJinTX thread starter macrumors 6502

Do you know if either Target or BestBuy actually has units on display?

I am wanting to fondle the merchandise before I pick which color I want.

4. dthree36 macrumors regular

They didn't have it on display at Target Couldn't say about Best Buy, I didn't actually go it. They only have black at both locations. I didn't hit up a Walmart but my guess is the same. The only place you will be able to test on for sure is the Apple store. Honestly I wanted white but ended up just getting the black one. Its pretty nice and I can live without the white. I don't get the big deal with the bashing of the screen... it looks just fine to me. Its pretty small... compared to the full sized bezel. So far I like it and think it will fit my needs just fine.

5. DJinTX thread starter macrumors 6502

My impression of the black mini from pics online is that the black aluminum looks very matte with no shine. It doesn't look bad necessarily, just not quite as good as the silver. Of course this is only based on pictures online. Does it look better in person?

6. dthree36 macrumors regular

If you have seen an iPhone 5... its exactly the same as that. I personally was leaning towards the white because it looks crisp and clean and hides finger smudges better but ... no big deal for me. I already own every other iPad and iPhone in black so this is just another one.

7. knucklehead macrumors 6502a

I just held one at the Lakeline mall BB. They only had one left.
    I was at a Walmart right before that, and the salesperson didn't think they were were out yet. I suspect they're in the store, and she just doesn't know it.

Check around, and good luck!

8. DJinTX thread starter macrumors 6502

So were past noon now, anyone out there get their Mini from the Apple Store in Austin? I'm just wondering if you have any info on if a lot of them were being sold while you were there and if it looked like they would sell out today?

9. JTStarkiller macrumors member

JTStarkiller

I've checked with both Apple stores, every Best Buy, and nearly every Target. Not one had the 16GB black. Crazy. I walked right in on Sat afternoon when the 4S came out last year. Didn't expect everyone to be out of the Mini. BB had other sizes, but I can wait for the 16GB.

10. DJinTX thread starter macrumors 6502

My take on this is that it may not be an issue of super high demand, but a good amount of demand and Apple just not having enough 16 GB units ready for the launch window. I could have easily scored a 64 GB late Friday night at 9:45pm, but I can't afford that model. Apple should have focused on the 16GB and then