Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zero2dash

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 6, 2006
Fenton, MO
Thinking about buying it as a surprise/anniversary gift for my wife :D, she's a Sim-a-holic and this one sounds right up her alley...being able to construct houses and furniture.

Reviews so far are pretty...meh..
Gamespot 6.5
IGN 7.0
75 on Metacritic
http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/wii/mysims

Just wanted to see if any MR Sims fans have picked it up...how it is, thoughts etc.

TIA

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I was thinking about it. I like Sims, and I like animal crossing.

My Sims is basically Sims without the boring necesity to make your sim sh*t & shower every 10 minutes, and has all the elements ripped out of Animal Crossing.

(rundown town, dig for booty, shake trees for apples, do chores for $ to spend on doing up the towns buildings to attract new residents)...

So it's nothing orginial, but it looks harmless fun.

zero2dash

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 6, 2006
Fenton, MO
Yeah, I was just looking at some vids on IGN for it, looks fun to me. Like you said - definitely ideas taken straight out of AC but with some new things (like building furniture).

I'm going to pick it up; I'll post some thoughts late next week or early the following week. ;)

echeck

macrumors 68000
Apr 20, 2004
Boise, Idaho
I just hopped on MacRumors to post this exact topic! Thanks zero! ;)

I'm actually thinking the exact same thing. My wife loves The Sims, but she's not one to sit in front of a computer to play a game, so she doesn't play it as much as she would like. But she also loved Animal Crossing and played that a LOT, so I thought this would probably be right up her alley.

I was reading those same reviews you mentioned, and even though it didn't score really high, I think my wife would still really enjoy it.

Let me know what you think when you get it!

Oh, and happy anniversary! :D

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I bought it and I'm enjoying it. Pretty much exactly what I thought it would be. Everything is simplified, but its fun and a harmless bit of pleasure.

The sad truth is..... I'll probably play this more than Halo 3, Heavenly Sword, Killzone or PGR4 comined..... :eek:

It's chill out gaming after a crap day at work :)

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
My sister is after this, after seeing a few gameplay vids of this I'll probably sink a few hours into it. Not really a Sims fan but this one has my attention more than the previous games, blame the art direction!

pcypert

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2006
Bangkok
I like what MRU said. For me the longer I game the less I'm interested in super involved, epic titles. I've played the long drawn out story games and the super complex games...they all start to wash together for me. I want games that I can play lightly, just jump into. Not that will suck hours and hours of my life away into some perfectly constructed virtual world. :)

Paul

zero2dash

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 6, 2006
Fenton, MO
The sad truth is..... I'll probably play this more than Halo 3, Heavenly Sword, Killzone or PGR4 comined..... :eek:

It's chill out gaming after a crap day at work :)

I have a good feeling that I will end up in that boat with you my friend. :D
I think I'll go pick it up this afternoon after work. ;)
(Halo 3 LE coming in the mail tomorrow)

echeck

macrumors 68000
Apr 20, 2004
Boise, Idaho
I picked MySims up for my wife this evening and she loves it!

I watched her play it for just over an hour this evening and she really enjoyed it. MySims is the perfect combination for her of Animal Crossing and The Sims. Most of the reviews I read gave it lower scores because it's not your more "traditional" Sims game, but that's exactly why my wife loves it!

As long as you're not expecting The Sims I think you'll really enjoy it.

:)

zero2dash

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 6, 2006
Fenton, MO
I played for about an hour last night, my wife was playing when I went to bed so I'm sure she played for 1 hour +.

So far - very cute, fun game. No complaints.
Looks like the cuteness and activies available/things to do of Animal Crossing with some Sims tweaking and features, combined with some new stuff like the ability to build furniture + Wii controls.

Again, no complaints. I think it got lowballed on reviews based on its look; it deserves 8s to 8.5s so far in my book, not 6s and 7s.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I played for about an hour last night, my wife was playing when I went to bed so I'm sure she played for 1 hour +.

So far - very cute, fun game. No complaints.
Looks like the cuteness and activies available/things to do of Animal Crossing with some Sims tweaking and features, combined with some new stuff like the ability to build furniture + Wii controls.

Again, no complaints. I think it got lowballed on reviews based on its look; it deserves 8s to 8.5s so far in my book, not 6s and 7s.

Yep I don't quite get why the reviews biggest criticism was that it wasn't the PC game basically. Well doh! that's the whole point. :rolleyes:

I'd give it 80% at least.

echeck

macrumors 68000
Apr 20, 2004
Boise, Idaho
Has anyone reached a Five-Star town yet?

My wife did a few days ago and she was rather disappointed in that it didn't do anything except show credits. She was hoping it would have opened up another area (or allow for a neighboring town) for her to build in.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I'm at four stars now.

That's a shame that there's no 'real reward' :(

A good game - but there is certainly room for improvment.
Building furniture is fun, but why do you have to use 'blueprints' :rolleyes: I want to create some crazy ass building then it should allow me.

Why can I build a circular house, with windows on every wall, but when I enter the house the interior is square with only one or two windows ? There is no corrilation between the exterior and interior ? That's just weird. It's like constantly building Dr.Who's tardis's.

Room for improvement with MySims 2.

sarah3585

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2007
It's got very good scores from the UK Nintendo magazines. Official Nintendo Mag gave it 94% ish. Ngamer was about 90% and Nrevolution gave it another 90ish score. (Can't remember exact scores) My copy should be arriving today.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
It's got very good scores from the UK Nintendo magazines. Official Nintendo Mag gave it 94% ish. Ngamer was about 90% and Nrevolution gave it another 90ish score. (Can't remember exact scores) My copy should be arriving today.

^ It's a good game, just after a week or two of playing it's limitations become a bit annoying, but I guess that's like most games.

Either MySims 2 or the real Animal Crossing Wii, will be better.

zero2dash

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 6, 2006
Fenton, MO
One thing is not even up for discussion: this game is cute as hell. :D
Cute enough to give me & my wife a warm fuzzy feeling.

She said when she has a hard day at work she loves turning the Wii on and hearing the music for MySims, it picks her spirits right up.

I still haven't played it since my initial hour's worth, but she's probably logged somewhere between 5-10 hours into the game and she loves it.

I think it's the best sim-ish game out there, really. I love the Sims and I love Animal Crossing, but there are things about both that I dislike (at times).

- the constant status checking in the Sims, which in turn gives you less time to do fun things because instead you have to shower because you stink or eat because you're hungry.

- the constant errand runs in Animal Crossing, because when you're done with errands and everyone is sleeping for the night, there's almost nothing else to do aside from fishing or plant/tree work.

MySims is a nice mixture of the positives of both games, minus a lot of the negatives. And it's more cute than AC. ;)

MySims2 needs internet village-visiting like AC:WW though...that's a must. Hopefully they fix some of the issues of that though that are in AC:WW, like the fact that people who visit your village can trash it and then leave. :( I'm expecting Nintendo to do the same with the Wii AC so that won't happen on there either.

echeck

macrumors 68000
Apr 20, 2004
Boise, Idaho
She said when she has a hard day at work she loves turning the Wii on and hearing the music for MySims, it picks her spirits right up.

This is the EXACT thing my wife says. She has logged a lot more than 5-10 hours on it though, but it's okay because it's a huge stress relief for her.

Her job has been extremely stressful as of late, so there have been times when she comes home and just feels overwhelmed and depressed. But now she comes home and turns on MySims and has an hour or two or three of fun and it really helps her.

It is a really cute game. My wife is actually playing it right now and I was just watching her "perform" on a stage that one or her residents has in his house. It was absolutely hilarious!

EA has a great game on their hands with this one, let's just hope MySims 2 doesn't let us down, and let's also hope that we don't have to wait too long for it. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.