Anyone plan on using Windows XP past next spring?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Airforcekid, Dec 11, 2013.

1. Airforcekid macrumors 65816

Airforcekid

I have been to several local businesses, schools etc and noticed they still use XP even some police departments they probably don't know support is ending. I was wondering if anyone plans on using it for their business/home use etc after support ends?

2. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

My XP craptop probably can't support anything newer, but since Windows 8 is maintaining full compatibility with XP apps, I doubt it will become unusable and redundant fast.

3. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

I'm a contractor for an affiliate of a corporation that employs 275,000. Most of the system where I'm at are iMacs and MacBook Pros. The few Windows machines that are around are running XP, but they are transitioning to 7.

On the home front, I'm finally moving my parents out of XP. I just upgraded my dad's old XP laptop to an SSD and Windows 8.1. I just need to pop in another 2 GB of RAM, and it will be all set. Even with just a single 2 GB RAM stick, it feels so much better than it did with XP.

4. clukas macrumors 6502a

clukas

Nope and could not recommend anyone does with a clear conscience. There have been some reports that hackers may be delaying releasing their latest malware until Microsofts end of support deadline to ensure their exploits are not patched. Windows xp will become a massive security vulnerability and anyone still using it should seriously start migrating. Its actually quite concerning how many businesses still rely on Windows xp.

5. Airforcekid thread starter macrumors 65816

Airforcekid

That's what concerns me some of these are medium sized businesses, and I know they are storing my social security number payment info etc if they don't know to upgrade I doubt their using good encryption if any. I noticed a few are still using IE6 or 7 even. I imagine this has all happened before when support was dropped for ME and 98 but its surprising more people still run XP than OSX combined.

6. Ccrew macrumors 68020

We've got 3200 users, we're set to be off of it by January 1.

That said, for our organization it wasn't the death of support that drove it, it was that we're on Office 365 and that ends support (and connectivity) for XP in April, so that was our driver or else our Desktop Management folks would be still looking like deer in the headlights.

7. Gav Mack, Dec 16, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2013

Gav Mack macrumors 68020

Gav Mack

I have one client left who runs XP and that's via parallels, getting upgraded next month.

All the bootcamp customers have been on windows 7 since the beginning of this year. With a core 2 duo cpu it's a far better OS to run on a MBP than XP and enabling AHCI by modding the MBR if they use an SSD for trim and performance the benefits outweigh hugely losing access to the boot camp control panel in Windows in older MBP models.

I have yet to have a client who wishes to upgrade to Win 8, perhaps they will be tempted when 8.2 gives us a proper desktop OS back like I might!

8. marikavs macrumors member

Yes, but...

Yes, I plan to use it (at home) past support-end. That is if I ever have time to rebuild the MBR in BootCamp, which was hosed when I replaced Mavericks with a backup of Snow Leopard from CCC. My XP backup from the old WinClone is no longer reachable. That external drive doesn't function any more. I do have a VMware Fusion version which I now use, but I'd like to get back to the BootCamp installation of it.

Anybody know of an expedient way to rebuild MBR in BootCamp for Snow Leopard?