Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jefhatfield

Retired
Original poster
Jul 9, 2000
i have to at least have a basic celeron/duron machine around for my pc repair business

i will never need the p4 or athlon since the heavier graphics apps will be done on a mac with my g3 ibook and hopefully later a g4 imac or soon to be g4 ibook...one can hope

Choppaface

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2002
SFBA
i got one mainly because it's a lot faster (i wanted to see just how fast..), it will be cheaper to upgrade, i wanted to be able to run 3dsmax, i wanted a real pc to preview web stuff in, and i thought it would come in handy seeing that VPC did nothing but crash for me, and IMO it was too slow to use. so far I've been very pleased with it :D

Grokgod

macrumors 6502a
<cough cough,, spew spit>

This thread just makes me feel sick...

Yea, i have a Pcheese and its just damn irritating and ugly and I hate to boot it and when i do i curse it out loud and spit into its guts and cry havok.

Yea, it goes real fast, flying at ultra speeds towards its crash.

XP is the worst version of Winblows ever! 98 was a Gem compared to XP.

XP was the single greatest thing m$ every did for APPLE

Of course for web stuff you have to check out what your stuff looks like and for tech stuff if you make a living off M$ mistakes or are they on purpose?

So I have one under the desk in the back and my laptop ontop of the desk.

Yesterday I hooked up my Ti to my second LCD and it was so easy to do ,,boom a whole new screen to work with, my photoshop world was HUGE.

Could never do that with a PCheese!

sparkleytone

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2001
Greensboro, NC
the only thing that makes the PC im on right now semidecent is the fact that i just deleted windows and am running slackware. kde3 isnt complete crap. its still way more of a pain in the ass than it should be. alll these dependencies and shizz. anyways i got to go to bed :rolleyes:

Nipsy

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2002
If you must get one, I would recommend a PIII 1GHz running Win2k Pro. This setup can be had for $350 on eBay, and is all the PC you should ever need or want.

ShaolinMiddleFinger

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2001
Mine was made by my friend who thought I might like windows better....wrong decision.... I converted him to Mac in two days after..... All those things you take for granted on a Mac will be cherished items if you stumble upon a PC (especially spring loaded folders)

There is one good thing though....there's more file sharing programs on a PC... Yes, there's virtual PC but running Kazaa on it with a iBook 500mhz makes it as slow as a 100mhz. Correct me if I'm wrong... i'd love to learn how to speed it up...

but remember this....in two days time, I switched a person that could swear his life by Windows to a Mac person....

sluthy

macrumors regular
May 13, 2002
Bundaberg, Qld. Australia
I bought a 1.5 GHz P4 PC in January (I got it for a bargain at education rates). I'm using it now simply because it's faster than my aging graphite iMac, and I require Visual Basic and MS Access for schoolwork. I also want KaZaa, or similar.

I did have VPC 4.0, but it was far too slow, and is now defunct is OS X. And I'm not paying for the upgrade anymore.

However, I still keep all my music and videos on my iMac in my room, because it's just so nice too me - except when it all gives me a spinning beachball and makes me restart, and then my iPod carks it suddenly when I can't find the receipt for warranty, and - oh well.

P.S. Does anybody know of a perfectly legal client that uses the same network as KaZaa, and DOESN'T HAVE ANY ****ING ADWARE/SPYWARE/SH*TWARE??!?!?!?!?:mad::mad::mad::mad:

P.P.S. KaZaa Lite is illegal. Don't bother suggesting it.

P.P.P.S. Gnutella is crap. Don't go there.

Ensign Paris

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2001
Europe
I would not have a Windoze machine as my main machine, I think Win2k was very very good, for windoze. XP sucks.

Ensign

shadowfax0

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2002
Yeah, i'm gonna buy a PC, I ahte this Mac crap, I'm so sick of all the usability, the stability, Bleck! I'm gonna go buy myself a $500 PC with XP, purely because I can't stand the Mac platform, all it does for me is give me no excuses for not being productive, nothing to repair! It's such a pain in the behind! No seriously, im thinking of buying a $500 Athlon XP 2200+ purely for SETI, and it's simply going to sit in the corner, do SETI, kazaa searches, and fill my appetite for Day of Defeat. That's it. I wanna see if I can't leave it on all summer next to my mac, and see if it'll crash from jsut doing SETI. I already know who the winner (yeah I know I'm the LOSER here, but that's besides the fact :p ) will be, but I want to see how 'stable' XP really is. And hell, they have DoD for Linux, maybe I'll just choose that path....

jefhatfield

Retired
Original poster
Jul 9, 2000
Originally posted by shadowfax0

, but I want to see how 'stable' XP really is. And hell, they have DoD for Linux, maybe I'll just choose that path....

the way i see it, xp is windows nt4, 3rd edition

with windows 2000 being windows nt4, 2nd edition

...so xp should be at least as stable as the previous two releases (which are non-dos)

the dos stuff, 95 and 98, are more prone to crashing...but on the other hand, have a lot more stuff that works with it

only time will tell where microsoft windows xp will go...we have os x and it's a certified hit and apple's future with aqua is assured:D

cb911

macrumors 601
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
well i might get a PC in about a year and a half when i finish at college. there will be at least P4 3.5GHz out then, maybe a 4GHz. and when i say 'buy' one i really mean i will build one. but if i do get a PC it will be because Apple hasn't kept up with the PC world (which i think is very unlikely), or because i don't have the money for a Mac. it also depends on the software, but it looks like i won't have to worry about that. another reason i would get a PC is for the upgradeability. or i could just get a new Mac whenever they release one... sounds good to me!:D

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
buy a PC... no... BUILD a PC... always :D

I like my PC for two big reasons:

1. You can tinker/tweak a PC a hell of a lot more/easier than you can a Mac. Not just hardware wise, but software wise too ( there are a lot more free/shareware proggies for PC than for Mac).

2. Games.

Lethal

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
don't buy, BUILD!

I am with LethalWolfe on this...

IF you must have a peecee, build it, don't buy one. You will learn a lot more of how to support them by building one. You can pick up AMD processors a hell of a lot cheaper then intel crap. You can go with either the Duron, or an Athlon (you can find the pre-XP chips for a song) chip. I highly suggest going with a Giga-byte motherboard. I have used them in several peecee's and never had any problems. The times I have used others, all sorts of nastiness occurred.

You can also get an inexpensive video card (update it later if you want) for well under $100. Then you just need to get the hard drive, optical, floppy, NIC and such.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
I have only EVER bought 1 PC, and that was my first PC.
Since then I have allways built my own, it is the ONLY way to go if you must (which I do) have a PC.

jadam

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2002
Im getting a PC for work. I have my iBook 700, but, AMD is coming out with the 64bit hammers, and im ganna get a PC just to have 64bits of power :p . When/And If the G5's are 64bit, ill get one of those too.

kaltsasa

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2002
Kellogg IA
By all means build one if you have to have one. And I agree 100% on AMD Chips, I've never had any problems with mine. In my line of work I have to have a pc for repai, trouble shooting, etc...I work at a school with macs and pc's and I also do pc repair and system building localy. Of course I always try to get my customers to go downt to the local mac store and take a look, I've gotten a few people to switch to the mac, and in return my fellow apple lovers have given me posers, t-shirts, even a huge apple banner. But there will always be those pc heads out there and for them, I'm here to repair thier forever ailing machines.

F/reW/re

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2001
Norway
I'm bying a Dell laptop. P4 1.6 GHz
I hate PC and love Mac, then why..?
The PC costs 10'000 NOK and a PowerBook G4 667MHz costs 30'000 NOK. That means I can buy 3 Dells for the price of 1 Mac. That sucks!!

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Originally posted by F/reW/re
I'm bying a Dell laptop. P4 1.6 GHz
I hate PC and love Mac, then why..?
The PC costs 10'000 NOK and a PowerBook G4 667MHz costs 30'000 NOK. That means I can buy 3 Dells for the price of 1 Mac. That sucks!!

Dude, you're going to hell for that... :D

If you MUST get a peecee, build one, don't buy a dell pOc... Just because you can buy more dells for your dollars, doesn't mean you should.

job

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2002
in transit
Originally posted by AlphaTech
Just because you can buy more dells for your dollars, doesn't mean you should.

You get what you pay for. :D :D

Sometimes quality does not always come cheap. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.