Anyone planning on customizing?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by Lansing, Mar 12, 2011.

1. Lansing macrumors newbie

So as soon as I saw Apple introduce the smart covers, I knew that the large solid color space on the front would lend itself well to customization. So here's how I spent my first Saturday with iPad 2 :D

[​IMG]

(This is "All Purpose Cultural Cat Girl Nuku Nuku" for those who don't know it.)

2. ozred macrumors 6502

3. ImaVeggie macrumors regular

ImaVeggie

Wow, what a great idea!!!

Are you willing to let us know how you did this?

4. Lansing thread starter macrumors newbie

Certainly, it's not for the feint of heart though. I made a stencil in photoshop and printed it out on paper. I used frisket film over the image and traced it with an exacto knife to cut out the image. Then stuck it down to the cover carefully. This was the hardest part because of how sticky and thin the film is. I airbrushed it with Copic marker's airbrush system.

For most folks without those tools, I would imagine that just old fashioned stenciling techniques would work out fine. Not sure if spray paint would work well though. The bending of the cover might crack that.

The main concern was screwing it up and wasting a smart cover!

5. Jethrotoe macrumors regular

Impressive. Good work. Start your own company doing this before someone else does. You have about 2 days.

6. ImaVeggie macrumors regular

ImaVeggie

Thanks so much for the idea and the technique. I would love a version of this on my soon to be green smart cover.

[​IMG]

7. h00ligan macrumors 68030

8. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

9. MarioB macrumors member

amazing. sadly i am capable of doing this myself so i'll just wait until someone starts selling something of that sort.

10. RadicalxEdward macrumors 6502

RadicalxEdward

seriously smart idea man. Really looks cool. When I first saw the title of this thread I thought it'd be something similar, but on the back of the ipad itself and I was gonna say hell no. but this is a really cool idea and i might get a poly case instead of leather just for this! orange with black decals would be cool.

anyone try just using thin vinyl decals? maybe with some extra glue or something?

11. Pete the Geek, Mar 12, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2011

Pete the Geek macrumors regular

Lansing, that is a beautiful cover! Do you think the poly smart cover would take a thin coat of acrylic paint?

I'm going to get a custom sticker from GellaSkins for my iPad 2 to both customize and protect it. For my iPod Touch 4G, I ordered a custom GellaSkin sticker that I made from a picture of one of my paintings and it came out great! The bright colours and weird math theme of the art attracts a lot of attention to my iPod. The sticker is also tough. I'm a teacher who travels to many different schools, and my iPod gets mauled by a lot of little hands! The GellaSkin has absorbed a lot of wear and tear.

I have a bit of time - iPad 2 is not scheduled to arrive in Canada until March 25th.

12. ChiliBlue macrumors 6502