Anyone planning on doing a real audio test of the 2.5G?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by MVApple, Sep 12, 2009.

1. MVApple macrumors 6502a

With quality headphones? Included buds do not apply :cool:

2. A Macbook Pro macrumors 6502

2.5G. Last time I checked it's the 3G. Get it right so it doesn't confuse anyone and work on your sarcasm.

3. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

Actually, it's the Fall 09 version, not the 3G. Please do your research. ;)

4. MVApple thread starter macrumors 6502a

Work on my sarcasm? Maybe work on your reading skills? There was no sarcasm in my post.

Perhaps you think the included buds actually qualify as "quality"? I know some people don't go past the included earbuds so thats why I included my original comment on them.

As for the naming of the "latest" iPod Touch, well it doesn't have an official 2.5G or 3G moniker attached to it so *shrugs*. Calling it the "Fall 2009" makes sense though. Maybe we should refer to is as the 2GS?

5. snowy2004 macrumors member

Augh! Will you people stop!

There are actual software/hardware changes to the iPod touch.

1G - Original touch
    2G - New shape, speakers, bluetooth (w/ upgrade)
    3G - Faster, upgraded graphics, external mic+remote included and Voice Control

Same with the iPhone

1G - Original iPhone
    2G (known as 3G) - New shape, 3G data, ...
    3G (known as 3GS) - Video camera, faster, upgraded graphics, Voice Control, ...

Has anyone taken a moment to think that Apple might have decided to go with the "Fall 2009" name due to the fact their touch line-up now spans 2 generations (2G - 8GB, 3G- 32,64GB)?

This is as if people didn't count the 3GS as a generational change just because it looks identical to the 3G.

6. MVApple thread starter macrumors 6502a

Theres a lot of proof that a camera was intended for the latest generation of the iPod Touch. Everything from cases, to room on the logic board, to an actual prototype photo that lines up right. Now people are saying the the latest ipod touch can edit movie clips if you email yourself them. This is why people think this is a 2.5G.

Gizmodo had a post stating that an iPod Touch with a camera can come "without warning". A lot of us remain in speculation that this may happen, hence the 2.5G instead of 3G. I don't believe Apple will keep the 8GB Touch for very long either. Production costs should drop again in a month or so enough for a $200 16GB with the latest processor to be put out.

If we hadn't expected a camera as much as we did I don't think people would be mad and we would all be calling it the 3G.

Your idea for why they decided to name them "fall 2009" is good though.

7. snowy2004 macrumors member

I know there was a lot of proof that there would be a camera. But I've accepted the fact that it won't happen, at least until next year. I think they've stated twice during the event that this was going to be the holiday iPod line-up. Plus I simply cannot believe Gizmodo on this. Apple wouldn't just throw in the camera without fanfare. Look at how they announced the nano. They were acting as if they launched a whole new product.

As for the 8 GB Touch, I think you can expect it to be around for a while. They're going to keep it for the same reason they kept the 8 GB iPhone 3G: It's a cheap version of their product and it should sell well.

Plus, from what I understand, people should get their hopes up too much: Isn't there just enough room for a video-only camera - not like the 3GS'.

EDIT: Wait a sec, if a camera is the only difference between what some call "2.5G" and 3G (Because, as far as we know, that was the only "missing feature"), could we just settle with calling it 3G and 3G+Camera. They (in theory) would have both the same internals and software. I'm sure if Apple updated the touch with only a new camera, we'd all be here whining about how they forgot to give the touch an "iPhone 3GS"-like processing boost.

8. pavenger macrumors regular

Grow up kids! We ALL know the new iPod Touch was supposed to have a camera. lets get past that and onto what the OP was asking people. I'd like to know how it compares... To test the audio quality does one (with a good ear for audio quality) just listen to music on the ipod with a set of accurate headphones and just know? or is there more to it than an opinion?

9. 7even macrumors 6502a

Well, someone could run some RightMark tests on it to check distortion, SNR, and such...

10. MVApple thread starter macrumors 6502a

Still waiting for audio quality tests and also a 16GB. I'm over the camera but no 16gb is silly.