Anyone planning on going back to Windows?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by laudern, Dec 26, 2011.

?

What will you do for your next computer?

1. Stick with Lion

73.9%
  2. Jump ship to Windows

13.0%
  3. Still undecided whether to stay or go

13.0%
  1. laudern macrumors 6502a

My cycle for a new computer is coming up relatively soon and as Lion is the only option for new macs, I'm sad to say, but I'll be heading back to Windows. I was just wondering what other people will be doing who are looking at buying a new computer in the coming months/year.

2. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

I'll decide that when 10.8 comes out. If OSX continues on the iOS path then yes, I'll be on Windows 8.

Don't want to give up my mac though so if that time comes I'll be at the mercy of Apple's bootcamp drivers. :(

3. Mopar macrumors member

You forgot the third option: I've just bought a new Air but I'm seriously thinking of returning it and buying a 2010 model with Snow Leopard. Good thing I've already got a couple of older Macs. Maybe I'll just let the new one sit there until they fix all the bugs in Lion . . .

I will never, ever, ever willingly purchase a Windoze machine. Better the devil I know. Microsoft is Satanx10.

4. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Well, there are other options.

You can install Linux (Ubuntu, or Mint, which seems to be the FotM) on virtually any laptop. Then there are a few machines with ChromeOS, let's see where that goes.

Right now I'm sticking with OSX. I don't see this huge iOS influence that some people are concerned about. Sure, there's the scrolling direction, and launchpad, but that stuff is not so bad.

Win 7 is good, a big step in the right direction from XP/Vista. For me it's currently not an option, I would go for a Lenovo Thinkpad with Linux, if OSX really goes down the drain someday in the future.

5. Dark Dragoon macrumors 6502a

Dark Dragoon

I'm sticking with Lion, I do already have both Linux and Windows XP + 7 machines. I don't mind Windows but I also don't see myself going back to it as my main OS on my primary machine anytime soon, I think Linux would be more likely than that.

I quite like Lion, the only real annoyance I've been having is with autosave/versions combined with image editing, the rest has been fine for me.

If I had to buy a different machine it would likely be a Lenovo running either Fedora or Arch Linux.

6. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I went from 10.5 back to Windows (never upgraded to 10.6 as it didn't offer me anything except a worse expose). After seeing all of the negative reviews of Lion, and Final Cut becoming iMovie Pro, I don't ever see myself going back. Especially after how nice Windows 7 is.

7. Martin29 macrumors 6502

Martin29

No.

I've just gone the other way; From Windows to Mac. The entire family are now on Mac and for the first time ever, everything just works! Networking, file sharing, iTunes through the stereo.. everything, it just works.

Windows tries to control everything you do, and in more than 20 years I was never able to achieve what I did in less than 30 minutes when setting up the Mac network.

Of course things can be improved, that will always be the case, and in technology terms we're still in the infancy of what will be possible. But I have to say that Apple see things from a user perspective far better than Microsoft have done for at least 15 years. They also make available products which do what it says on the box! While they do that I'm sticking with them.

8. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4S: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I have no major issues with Lion and have no desire to go back to Windows. I use Win7 at work, it's a decent OS and works rather well compared to XP/Vista, but it's no OS X.

OS X is, to me, the best, cleanest and most easy to use OS available.

9. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

I am not happy with the way they went with Lion. Still miss the stability and SIMPLICITY of Snow Leopard. I really didn't need all this cr@p like Launchpad and naugahyde-bound calendars and address books.

10. iFanboy Guest

Back to windows? I'd rather get beaten up.

I have been with Windows since 3.1 and switched to Mac in February 2009. My computing life has never been simpler.

Anyone who thinks windows >>>> OSX I can only assume loves tinkering with their system.

11. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Guilty a charged ;)

12. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

Stick with Lion or whatever comes after as long as they don't kill the Mac Pro.

13. Partron22 macrumors 68000

Partron22

I flirted with Vista.
    It told me everything I needed to know about the theory that OS's always get better with time.
    I hear that Windows 7 is an improvement on Vista, although it too gets pissy when the wi-fi cuts out, just like a Mac.
    I expect 10.8 will be an improvement on Lion. Engineers in both camps at least try to make things get better with time. They just don't always succeed.

The above leaves me with little reason to switch.

14. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

If I didn't have Snow Leopard, I'd sell my Mac's and stick with my Windows 7 PC's. I tried Lion and thought it sucked...

15. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

I use both OSes regularly and both are great. If I had to switch I would have no issue. I prefer to use Mac OS X but I still do love Windows 7.

16. laudern thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well I am genuinely surprised. I thought the response would be the other way round considering all the complaints in the other threads. I guess it is just the minority making all the noise.

17. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

No matter how bad Lion was i doubt it would force me back to Windows. At the very worst i'd buy a refurb mac that supported Snow Leopard and just chill with that until 10.8 Cougar.

18. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Not as long as Mac OS is available.

19. Frozzie macrumors regular

I will never say never although I am loving OS X experience. Nothing is eternal - and I am sure Apple's position as best maker of operating system will not last forever, and the day someone makes a better product than Apple OS, it will be the day I will switch to Windows, Linux or whatever it may be.

20. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

What options or features does windows offer that you don't have but need in OSX?

I use both but I prefer OSX because of its streamlined simplicity in greeting my tasks done

21. LordVic macrumors 601

I can't say "go back" as i'm mainly a windows user. To be fair, I would never have even purchased an Apple computer if i hadn't been given a gift card for the majority of the purchase of the Air i do own.

While I love the hardware, and think apple really hit one out of the park, OSx lion seems to be hit or miss. Some things are excellent. I love desktops, I love gestures, I love how smooth and flawlessly you can navigate. However, the WiFi management and connectivity issues i'm having with Lion make me want to freak out

But Windows 7 does things OSx can't either. I've always wanted the "dock", but after finally using one extensively. Win7 Taskbar, mouse over previews and ability to open / close via their quick menues and previews is just faster and more productive.

The start menu is far more intuitive than going into applications folder, and launchpad is too big and clunky. it works for touch devices like ipod and ipads, But it's more of a fancy looking feature than anythign else, Especially once you start really adding up the applications.

I also find that several OSx varieties of games I like to play, run smoother under windows. I've downloaded for example World of Warcraft for both windows and OSx. Both running off an external hard drive. While in Windows, i can run the game at higher resolution with higher textures and better graphics settings than OSx. OSx version on aything but minimum is unplayable. Same goes for Counterstrike Source and i'm terrified to start SWTOR on the AIR.

Will i "go back" to windows? yes. Win7 is still my primary OS and will continue to be.

However, When WIN8 drops..... OSx just might take over.