Anyone planning on NOT selling this 1st gen edition?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by biosci, Apr 27, 2015.

1. biosci macrumors 6502a

I know people tend to put their older devices up for sale on Craigslist, EBay, Gazelle or any other resale method. Anyone out here thinking they want to hold on to this first ten product even though in time, it may only be able to tell time?

People will be thinking when they see you four years down, "hey look at them at big brick on his wrist! It's a gen1!" Or they may just make fun of you IDK. But anyone here feels like they just want to hold on to it until the day it dies? (For nostalgic reasons not necessarily bc you do only replace devices when they are no longer functional)

2. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Between my wife and myself, I keep one iPhone of each form factor (usually the "S" type) and ebay the rest so I have a collection of iPhones in all the form factors (original, 3GS, 4S, 5, etc.). However, I don't think I'll do the same with the Watch.

3. edlex macrumors 68000

edlex

I never sell anything so it'll probably go to my wife when gen2 rolls around.

4. Robert M. macrumors 6502a

Robert M.

I'd roll my eyes at anyone who calls the 1st-gen Apple Watch a brick, even in 5 years. It really isn't that thick. I'd prefer if they kept it the current size and focused on improving the battery.

As far as selling it goes, I'll keep mine. The resale value won't be great because I don't think there will be a ton of buyers. Macs, iPhone, and iPads have a bigger market. And will retain more value. Plus a watch is "more personal". Who really wants to wear a device that someone has sweated on for a year? :eek:

Yeah, you can clean it, but still. If someone does buy it they'll want a new band. So good luck getting rid of that $149 leather strap.

5. armandxp macrumors 6502

armandxp

Definitely keeping my 1st gen. Didn't do it with the iPhones, but will this time around.

6. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

After spending $1000 on this one (the stainless watch plus classic buckle and link bracelet), I suspect I won't be trading up for a couple years yet.

Like some others, I'm thinking Apple won't be on an annual refresh for the watch.

7. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Perhaps true for leather bands (which have to be replaced after a couple years anyway), but not everyone will want to shell out $449 for a brand new link bracelet.

8. Drew888 macrumors 6502a

Drew888

Since I didn't get on the iPhone wagon until the 3G, I'm gonna keep this 1st generation watch. :D

9. Robert M. macrumors 6502a

Robert M.

Sorry, meant to add that. The link bracelet will have a better value since it's SS, and lasts longer. Although, the seller may want to keep it. I can't see Apple changing the bands. Seems like it would be easier to get us to upgrade if they keep the same bands.

10. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I don't understand why people think Apple won't refresh the Watch just because they dropped $1000+ on it. Makes no sense. Apple go after the profit whether you spend $349 or $17,000.

----------

That's definitely true. I'll recoup more of my cost if I keep the link bracelet and buy the base SS v2 and ebay my first generation SS Watch with a brand new $49 Sport band.

11. Trent0341 macrumors 6502

Same... still wish to this day I had kept my original iPhone.

12. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Two separate thoughts.

1) I personally won't be replacing it with next year's new model (if there is one) because I dropped $1,000+ on it.

2) Irrespective of the above, I suspect we may see an 18+ month cycle on the watch given the nature of the marketing campaign. But just my opinion (shared by some others, but just my opinion nonetheless). Has nothing to do with price. Not all of Apple's products are updated annually. AppleTV, Mac Pro, iPod (unfortunately) and displays are just some examples.

13. jonhoy macrumors member

14. Royksöpp macrumors 6502

Royksöpp

It will be a collectible down the line, so I probably won't. Anything after 1st gens are throwaways imo.

15. Supermallet macrumors 65816

Supermallet

I wish I had kept my 1st gen iPhone and iPad for posterity, so yes, I will keep this first gen watch.

16. Javidaboii macrumors newbie

I bought mine just to be a display and not to be used, so no I'm not going to sell it

17. sJv macrumors regular

I still have my gen1 iPod, iPhone, and iPad. I'll keep my gen1 watch.

18. biosci thread starter macrumors 6502a

I too wish I had kept that 1st gen iPhone. But I do know at some point, even servicing them probably won't be a possibility. Wasn't the iPod classic just finally listed as unserviceable?

19. Tammster macrumors 6502

Tammster

This will go to my husband, my son or my mom. I will keep my bands (assuming that for at least one new version they will be compatible) and let them buy the band they want.

20. Poochi macrumors 6502a

Poochi

This is probably a very good question when we know the details of 2nd generation when it comes out.

Not married to the phone, but resale value of this gen1 watch and features of 2nd generation will be the determining factors.