Anyone planning on using the new 27 to double as their HDTV?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by bmstrong, May 3, 2011.

1. bmstrong macrumors 6502a

I'm kind of wondering if I want to go all in. I have a Samsung 32 and an old Mac Mini I use for DVD watching, HDTV, and my computer. I could replace both in one fell swoop. As long as I can get the NFL, live, I'm GTG. $100 EDU discount almost pays for the i7, I'd like the SSD to have the option for 128 but I can't control that.

Thoughts? Anyone else replace the HDTV with an iMac?

2. Amnesiac1 macrumors 6502

3. archer75 macrumors 68000

You can play ripped blurays.

But I already have a TV that is significantly larger so no, not going to use it to replace my TV.

4. Amnesiac1 macrumors 6502

Illegal, no?

5. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

It's rather expensive to get a converter to input signals other than displayport though. I'd consider having the iMac and TV side by side, and use the TV to play media that you have on your Mac, as well as outside media.

6. iMikeT macrumors 68020

Only in the eyes of the RIAA.

If you did purchase a legal physical copy of the product, than you should be able to digitize it to your heart's content. That or the studios could provide a downloadable, digitized HD copy of the content to prevent the consumer from digitizing the content from the physical copy themselves.

7. thedarkhorse macrumors 6502a

You could also get an elgato eyeTV USB tuner, pump cable right into an app on your mac.

8. archer75 macrumors 68000

Don't much care about the legality of what choose to do with what I own.

9. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

27" is a very small screen for an HDTV unless you always plan on sitting 3 or 4 feet away from it to watch stuff.

10. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

If I was in a small enough room I'd consider this. Say, a college dorm. For most other purposes I'd probably buy a larger TV. For under $500 you can easily pick up a 40-42" TV which is a much nicer option. Especially if you already have a Mac Mini.

Or, buy the iMac, sell the Mini and use the Mini's proceeds to buy a HDTV. :) Best of both worlds that way.