anyone play counterstrike on their mac pro?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by tjespo22, Jan 15, 2008.

1. tjespo22 macrumors 6502a

tjespo22

the only reason i would partition the hard drive is just for steam and some cs 1.6 and mabe mabe source. would it run this game good?

2. hakuryuu macrumors 6502

It would run perfectly. Nothing based on Source is even remotely taxing to the new Mac Pro.

3. tjespo22 thread starter macrumors 6502a

tjespo22

also, say the windows partition got a virus, can it get to the mac os side? can i just delete the windows partition or do i have to reformat the entire machine.

thanks
    espo

4. sdschwendener macrumors regular

On my old 2.66 Ghz Mac Pro I ran CS: Source and it ran perfectly.. at least better than the fools I was owning.

As for viruses.. I never used windows to surf the web. I never did any online work activity outside of steam powered gaming. Also I ran virus protection the whole time... so i cant say anything about having to format my disks.

5. insanekilla3 macrumors newbie

im running counter-strike on my macpro but on the partitioned windows. when i'm playing cs source i don't know how to get into the console while i'm in the game. does anyone know how to open it.

6. ungraphic macrumors 6502a

ungraphic

I've got 2 x Geforce 7300 GT with SLI bridge and both overclocked. Counter Strike SOURCE runs like ASS at 1920x1200 resolution.

You better get at least a pair of ATI 2600 or X1900XT (Geforce 8800GT or ATI HD 3870 will run the game exceptionally well).

CS 1.6 will run fine on any card.

7. ZeelessOne macrumors member

1 X1900XT is sufficient. That was my main card on a PC back when single-core Athlon 64s were the best thing ever. One will run CSS perfectly.

ungraphic, unless you have hacked drivers, you're 7300s are not running in SLI mode!

8. ungraphic macrumors 6502a

ungraphic

I've got Forceware ver. 85.96, it works on any chipset. I bought an ASUS Flex SLI Bridge (cuz software SLI sucks) and I overclocked the card as well, cant remember by how much though (im not on my mac pro at the moment).

Are there any updated better hacked drivers for the card though? Maybe ones that'd give me a performance boost?

9. slughead macrumors 68040

slughead

I play Day of Defeat:Source all the time (what can I say? I'm old school too).

Runs perfectly.. though I have an 8800 for no reason (bought it to play games I don't like.... or own).

A single 7300GT is probably enough. The card I first ran CS:S on was a 5950 or something... 1024 IIRC

10. tompon1923 macrumors 6502

tompon1923

11. nurivo macrumors member

No need to reboot. Counter Strike works perfectly with Crossover in OS X on my MacBook Pro (Core Duo) in 1440x900px.

12. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

If you get a seriously heinous virus, it will be contained within the windows partition, it won't affect the Mac in any shape or form. If the worst happened, you'll just format the Windows partition and reinstall everything again!

Virus protection applications exist on the Mac solely to protect Windows machines on the same network from infection. As far as I know, currently there are no viruses which are able to make the leap between the different platforms. And if possible... the Administrator would still have final say.