Anyone play Starcraft II/D3 with their rMBP?

Allard

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 3, 2009
I'd like to know how hot the machine gets when playing either game as well as how low the settings have to be for a smooth experience without too many tradeoffs on the visual side.

Walter Bell

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2010
I play D3 on my rMBP. Like any aluminum unibody, metal conducts heat and it will get hot. Just don't let it run for 10-12 hours and it should be okay. Having dual graphics cards will help with the CPU strain. With all that ram in the base model you should be okay.

inlinevolvo

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2012
Playing sc2 on my base retina macbook I can get the fans to spin at 4.5k. The gpu temp is usually in the upper 50s. The unibody is very warm with the game running for about an hour, but does a great job as an additional heat sink. These numbers are from istat.

I tom the game at 1680 by 1050 at max setting. No stutter or lag. A very fluid game at that level.

gbkrip

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2011
Nebraska
I just got my rMBP yesterday. So far, in the short tests I've conducted:

In D3
At 1920x1080 resolution with ALL high settings and no anti-aliasing the GPU and GPU diode sit at approximately 70C, the cpu heat sink is in the 50sC. Frame rate during messy combat is 40-50 average, otherwise at 60 fps which is what I set max foreground fps to. The bottom of the body gets warm to the touch.

Hope this helps. I can post more once I play with it more.

Vctr

macrumors regular
May 24, 2012
When playing D3 and SC2, my CPU goes upwards of 90 degrees C and GPU goes around 60 degrees C.

Is this normal?!

Entopia7

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2008
Those temps are within spec for the hardware. If you see anything above 100c, though, you may have a hardware issue...

Walter Bell

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2010
If your going gaming on the rMBP, the temperatures can get dangerous, so I would recommend a laptop cooling pad.
http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-NotePal-Configurable-R9-NBC-8PBK-GP/dp/B002NU5V4A/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1345625551&sr=8-2&keywords=cooling+pad
Cooling pads won't be effective. There are no open fans on the bottom, just out the back. Just play it on a desk in a area that has good ventilation.

----------

Dangerous? I never reached that temp. A poor choice of words ?
Poor choice of words indeed.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
I'd like to know how hot the machine gets when playing either game as well as how low the settings have to be for a smooth experience without too many tradeoffs on the visual side.
I have a late 2011 15" and D3 plays fine, the computer will get warm and is clearly running harder, but not to the extent that I've had problems with it.

When playing D3 and SC2, my CPU goes upwards of 90 degrees C and GPU goes around 60 degrees C.

Is this normal?!
You're fine, those are within normal operating temps and, like I'll tell the guy below, your computer will shut down if it gets too hot and before damaging the internals.

If your going gaming on the rMBP, the temperatures can get dangerous, so I would recommend a laptop cooling pad.
http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-NotePal-Configurable-R9-NBC-8PBK-GP/dp/B002NU5V4A/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1345625551&sr=8-2&keywords=cooling+pad
Just...not true. Like I said above, it will shut down before any damage occurs, plus it won't get dangerously hot running games.

wiznet

macrumors regular
May 30, 2012
Canada
I have to agree with the other guys, the temperature isn't dangerous at all, and if it was, there's protection in place.

I run both games basically maxed at 2880x1800 on my lap. That says something.

ncaissie

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2011
I love playin D3 on my MBP 15". When I start to sweat I put a book or something under the MBP. :D

Allard

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 3, 2009
Thanks guys, appreciate the peace of mind you've contributed. Entering day 3 of having this beautiful machine and, aside from having the machine not wanting to shut down the first time round the experience has been flawless.

Both games run well.

StefanYFC

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2012
Toronto, Canada
I have to agree with the other guys, the temperature isn't dangerous at all, and if it was, there's protection in place.

I run both games basically maxed at 2880x1800 on my lap. That says something.
I've been playing like this as well, with only AA turned off and the fans kick in but it never really gets too hot. I was pleasantly surprised.

RealEyes

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2012
I run SC2 on my rMBP but only with externals: monitor/keyboard/mouse because it gets too hot to be comfortable quickly. Maxed out settings, no lag.