Anyone played Empire:Total War on a 2.66Ghz MBP?

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by htchang1987, Mar 21, 2009.

1. htchang1987 macrumors member

As title says, I would like to find out if the game works smoothly under bootcamp XP on a 2.66GHz MBP? Thanks.

2. irishgrizzly macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

Not tried on a mbp. The game is a bit of a mess at the moment and needs lots of patching. I'd recommend waiting a couple of months until the major issues are fixed then you should have no trouble playing on medium settings.

3. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

While I have not played it on a MBP it struggles a bit on my 2006 Mac Pro with an Nvidia 8800GT under Vista 64bit.

As the poster above says, there are some problems but I'm hoping they will sort them out soon. I have owned every single game in the Total War series and they normally end up being stable as a rock after a couple of patches. Bit annoyed I have to wait though.

4. Keleko macrumors 68000

I've got it on my early 2008 MBP. It seems to run fine in battle mode after I turned the shaders to 3.0 low or 2.0 and everything else set to the medium levels. I haven't done much with it other than play a few skirmish battles so far, though, since I've been busy with other things since I got the game. Sounds like I can hold off playing until the patching is done.

5. sutom macrumors newbie

Just to save making a new thread - if Empire is ok with medium settings on a 2008 MBP, should it be playable on an Alu 2.4 MB? I'm not expecting much but I figured the 9400M card might run it with low settings. Am I wrong? :)

6. stenackj macrumors newbie

I have it installed on my new 15" 2.66Ghz MBP with 64-bit Vista and it works... but the battles certainly don't run as smoothly as I would have hoped. I don't think it is because of the hardware but probably more to do with the game itself as everyone has mentioned above.

7. happydudeca macrumors member

I have it installed in my 2.2 MBP (2GB Ram, 128MB 8600M GT) on an XP partition. I have all settings set to low and it runs just fine without any lag or other problems. It would look better on a nicer machine with the graphics up a notch, but for a new game on a older lower spec machine I can't complain.

Not sure if there are many bugs or not, I've put several hours into it now and haven't run into any problems.

8. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

wow do you know the framerates? Makes me wonder if even the new MB's can play on low at all heh

9. happydudeca macrumors member

Unfortunately I don't, but it's certainly playable. I'll admit I've never played a Total War game before so I'm not sure what to expect in the battle scenes, but it all looks pretty nice. I'm able to zoom in on the battle scenes as close as I can and while I'm not getting lag it does take some time to scroll around the map on close zoom but I believe that is the way it's supposed to be. I've even had a couple of battles with 6 full sized armies and with that number of units (couple thousand?) there were no problems.

It works, but not as pretty as on a nicer machine.

10. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

Yeah I feel ya, I'm gonna check it out now, got a copy. Also nvidia just released new drivers I read, wonder if those help out at all here.

*edit* apparently the new drivers do nothing haha

11. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

alright, just tried out this game via XP bootcamp and wow, I am impressed! Runs even better than Dawn of War II. I beat the tutorial and using FRAPS I averaged to my guess about 33FPS, dips from 25-40 but I saw it hang around 33+ mark a lot. Very good! Native resolution all min settings shader 2.0 though. I'm thinking I could get it to run at some higher graphical settings but this was all I tested. So I would assume your 2.66Ghz MacBook will be fine.

My specs are in my sig, but I am overclocked in Windows to 2.3ghz and my GPU is overclocked some as well.

12. happydudeca macrumors member

Turns out the slowdown I'm experiencing is not a machine capability issue, but more so that the developers don't know how to do their job.

The game routinely crashes when naval units are selected, when certain factions move, and the list goes on... when it works it's great though.

13. Keleko macrumors 68000

I heard about the problems they're having, and I'm waiting for patches before I really dive in to play it. I'm confident the bugs will be fixed since the other Total War games are so solid.

14. HSJR macrumors member

I thought that I am the only one who have problem with the empire total war; I run the game through bootcamp. The game crashes whenever I play battle or choose faction other than britain. I have medieval 2 installed in my MBP, but it runs smoothly with almost everything is max. My MBP spec is 2.4ghz, 4gb ram, 256mb GPU

I will receive my MP next week with ATI 4870, I am wondering how will it performs in windows games.