Anyone played with a Palm Pre?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ggt, Nov 6, 2009.

1. ggt macrumors regular

I had a play in the o2 store. I wasn't impressed, it was shockingly slow!

Maybe it had a problem, has anyone else had a go with one and found the same issue?

It's a shame as its a nice looking phone

Don't get me wrong I'm not thinking of changing my 3GS!

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

there are many threads regarding the pre that will give you the feedback you are asking for

i personally like it

3. nonocei macrumors member

I played with my friends and it's a pretty nice phone. It just didn't "wow" me though and felt a bit like a toy. This is about after five minutes of playing with it though...

4. greygray macrumors 68000

greygray

Yeah, I got to play with it for a while. The keyboard is too cramped for my liking and it looks kind of cheap. Web OS is very nice but I dislike the hardware a lot.

5. ctt1wbw macrumors 68000

ctt1wbw

I agree with the two above posters. Nothing to call your mom about, that's for sure. The OS seems decent, but if you hands with fingers, as most people do, forget the keyboard. I don't see how people can type on keys that small.

6. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

yeah it definitely isn't anything to be excited about. so much for the iPhone killer, i wonder why they still make those weird commercials air...

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

It felt too plasticy and cheap for me. I only briefly looked at it in Best Buy

8. Pixellated macrumors 65816

I found the OS quite fidlly, the casing a little cheap and didn't like the keyboard. Touchstone is decent though.

9. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

The demo units, at least in the US, are notoriously slow because of the demo software the units run that can't be uninstalled. I've had a Pre since shortly after launch and if I went back in time yesterday I'd still buy it.

Lethal

10. ggt thread starter macrumors regular

I did wonder if that was the case. The demo movie tried to kick in a few times.

They should really do something about that if they want more sales. It's really crippling the experience.

11. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

The lady on the commercials is creepy enough to keep me away from it.

12. sysiphus macrumors 6502a

sysiphus

So is there a GSM version of the Pre? I'm rather tempted if there is...

13. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Yes there is.

I played with the Sprint version whilst in the US and i actually really liked it, enough that i would've bought it to replace my 3G at the time...if i were a US resident. OS is very modern, seamless and i love the notification system. Granted it was jerky at times but that OS version was the 1.0.0, i'm all but sure things would be better by now

Now that i have a 3GS though there's less of an incentive. The camera lacks video recording, no EQ function in the Music app, anaemic App catalogue, only 8GB of storage and no auto-correction when typing, which would have mitigated the smallish keyboard

I still like the device and would probably own one if i didn't own an iPhone.

14. greygray macrumors 68000

greygray

I'm secretly wishing that the iPhone incorporated a type of technology like Touchstone. That, would make me run to the Apple Store to buy that charger! Touchstone is a pretty nice thing to charge on, but the Pre needs that matte back which I find nicer than the glossy back on the Pre itself originally.

15. IBradMac macrumors 68000

IBradMac

16. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

I think it's an absolutely brilliant OS. If the Pixi, or some other phone more similar to the Pixi comes to ATT I will consider it next, next Summer for my next phone.

Having said that, the hardware isn't that great and third party support is WEAK.

17. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

I'm not interested in the Pre (very happy with the iPhone actually :D) but I'd love to try it just to see how it is. Unfortunately it's not available here.

18. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Wirelessly posted (Nokia 5800 Tube XpressMusic : Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.4; U; Series60/5.0 Nokia5800d-1/21.0.101; Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 ) AppleWebKit/413 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/413)

I've never used a Pre, but it's narrower than a Nokia E71, and that has the minimum sized keyboard. Don't get me wrong though. I don't think the iPhone's keyboard is that great either, but the Pre isn't an iPhone killer. Perhaps Palm could come out with a horizontal slider (full sized) keyboard version?

I think the latest version of Android on Sony's upcoming X10 mobile, or Android 2.0 on the upcoming Droid will be as good, if not better, than the iPhone, particularly the Droid. It has a physical keyboard, and yet remains quite thin!

19. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

It won't beat BBM but it supports Exchange, Direct Push, IMAP, POP, IM etc

20. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

One of my friends has a Pre, I've used it and love it - the multitasking is awesome, and in the newest firmware builds they are easily much faster than an iPhone (IMHO).

The only thing is they aren't built too nicely, he's on his like 4th one. I'd totally go for one if they got rid of the stupid slide-out keyboard (although, that's one of the reasons why he has one). Sprint too, nice network - he seems to NEVER have no coverage lol.

21. erickkoch macrumors 6502a

I own one and would get it again. Only major complaint is the battery. I'm lucky to get 1.5 days on a single charge.

22. brmaki macrumors regular

brmaki

I just got mine a couple weeks ago and I absolutely love mine. The keyboard is a bit small, but my last phone was a Palm Centro, so I'm used to the smaller keyboard (and I'm a pretty big dude, about 240 lbs.). It's been great so far though and my only real complaint would be the battery life, although I've only had it die on me once.

23. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Expansys USA has them for $715, unlocked. They're the imported O2 Germany models so the Y and Z keys are swapped, but the OS is English ready.

24. three macrumors 6502a

three

My friend has one, I like the phone but it's way too slow and the keyboard is too cramped.

25. sysiphus macrumors 6502a

sysiphus

Thanks for the reply. It looks like a cool toy, but no way I can spend that kind of cash on a phone. Heck, I could only justify the $500 for the original 4GB iPhone back on launch day because I'd been working loads of overtime.