Anyone playing Crysis on their 2.5 Penryn MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ozziegn, Mar 22, 2008.

1. ozziegn macrumors 6502a

ozziegn

like the title says...

I'm thinking about getting Crysis for my 15" 2.5 MBP Penryn machine but I want to make sure it will even play first before I spend the $$$.

so if anyone plays Crysis on their 2.5 Penryn machine then I would like to hear from you.

2. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

You could download the demo...The game runs on my MBP, so you should be fine.

3. ozziegn thread starter macrumors 6502a

ozziegn

well, how does it run on your machine? does it run pretty smooth throughout the entire game or does it get skippy at times?

also, what resolution are you running the game at?

4. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

Don't really remember. Have no gamed on my MBP since I got my MP. Why don't you just download the demo and try it for yourself?

5. ozziegn thread starter macrumors 6502a

ozziegn

well yeah, I guess I could do that. I just wanted to hear from people who have already tried the game on their machines to see if it would be worth it or not.

6. steve31 macrumors 6502a

steve31

please post back and let us know if you have any trouble with it. I too am looking at running this on my MBP 2.5:D.I have played Call of Duty 4 with no issues. Great Game!!;)

7. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I havent tried on the mbp either since I have the MP as well but I can tell you that on even my MP I have to set everything on just high and not very high and some things turned off and 1 or 2 things on medium to get the very best fps under heavy battle.

8. mgacam2 macrumors regular

mgacam2

Crysis runs alright on my 2.2 SR and its slower, i run it at medium settings at 1152x res. It runs decently and is playable and thats about all i can tell you.

9. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

2.4 MBP here, and i can run it at medium, 1024x768 (suggested res) at a decent frame rate. Improvement over all settings at low on my old 2.33 for sure.

10. shoppy macrumors 6502a

I play on my 17" HR 2.6SR fine by my standards. I am not a serious gamer. It plays ok on my 2.4 Penryn, but I do notice the difference compared to my 2.6, so I have ordered a CTO 2.5 with glossy to replace the 2.4. I will end up paying 10% to restock, but I simply find the machine sluggy.

I will let you know how it plays on my 2.5

11. BNO macrumors member

BNO

I have Crysis running on my 2.6 Penryn MBP at native Screen resolution and Medium-High settings. I grabbed modded (newer) drivers for the 8600M GT and it runs fine. The only stuttering I get is caused by hard disk activity. I have the 250GB 5400rpm drive, so I beleave that the 200GB 7200rpm drive won't have this problem. I will attatch a Drive through eSATA to store the games I want to play, this should solve the issue.

12. ozziegn thread starter macrumors 6502a

ozziegn

could you give me direct link as to where you downloaded your video card drivers?

also, did you uninstall the original drivers in the control panel or what?

13. weemanpow3 macrumors 6502

weemanpow3

14. BNO macrumors member

BNO

I'm running Vista Business 32Bit and used these drivers:
    http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=17737

You probably can install these right above the standard Boot Camp drivers.
    In the LaptopVideo2Go Community Forums I read a hint to reset the SMC after the graphics card drivers have been successfully installed. How to do this can be found here:
    http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303319

To speak in 3DMark Scores with several other drivers I had around 3900 3DMarks these drivers above pushed it to 4000+ 3DMarks.

I did not test newer 174.xx driver yet.

[EDIT]
    And a additional hint: When playing games tell the Graphics Card Driver to only use one display if you have attatched an external display. This saves quiet some power, because Windows does not disable the second display automatically like it happens in OS X games.

15. EvryDayImShufln macrumors 65816

EvryDayImShufln

You can also overclock to get a bit of an extra boost :D

16. MoeOz macrumors member

Patch 1.2 ;)

hey Guys dont forget to download the 1.2 Patch for crysis belive me it will Boost the performance with the latest video card for Vitsa [ its better here than XP coz of Directx10] www.laptopvideo2go.com i go with 169.28 via bootcamp ofcourse and im happy with Meduim/High setting 1024X Res on ma MBP 2.2 SR :D

17. Roadking macrumors 6502

I have only played the demo on my 2.5 15" but it plays very nice. Albeit not at the top resolution but for a non gaming computer I really liked it. My brother in law was very impressed with the graphics.

I will probably go out and purchase the full version. I just hate paying full retail price on games in stores and will probably try to find it online for less.

Any suggestions on where to go for the best price? I thought I saw it for sale on one web site for $39 but I can't remember where. Thanks!

18. chrisbeebops macrumors regular

On my 2.4GHz SR/Merom MBP (8600mGT 256MB vram), Crysis runs smoothly at 1400x900 on Medium. Running Windows XP Pro and the standard driver from the Leopard DVD. Ran a bit slower on Vista... I had to settle for either a lower resolution or lower graphics setting.

Crysis should be playable at settings at least equal to these.

19. macthille macrumors member

Cool.
    Hmmm, it does not run smooth on those settings on my 2.5 Ghz penryn (512 mb vram and 2GB ram). Even upgraded the drivers.
    I can run it well at 1024x768 with medium settings. It gets a little slower on high. At native resolution 1400x900 it is too low fps to be enjoyable.

I get 4100 points in 3dmark06 (at 1280x1024), have you ran this test?

edit:
    XP 32 bit

edit2:
    I run the Demo version. Did you patch yours to get better fps?

20. Freyqq macrumors 68040

no

the loading screens in games put all necessary data in the ram..the HD shouldn't be used during gameplay if you have 2 or more gigs of ram..even in crysis..

21. jsnuff1 macrumors 6502a

22. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

its pretty good. The main thing going for it is that its pretty much the most graphically/CPU intensive game for computer as of yet.

23. BNO macrumors member

BNO

Can be, but I experianced high hard disk activity exactly in the moments where I experianced stuttering.

My posts here are all related to Version 1.0. Yesterday I patched to 1.2, but I did not have the time yet to test the performance with this patch.