Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

boiee

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 22, 2005
Was at Target yesterday for household goods and wandered in the electronic section. Cell phone sales rep saw I was playing with the iPhone and asked if I pre-ordered phone. Told him I did (6s Plus in Space Grey with 64 gigs) through AT&T's website (only because I have an available 2 year contract upgrade; cross upgrade from a family plan) and my delivery date is mid to end of October. He was amazed and told me he still has available pre-orders available for 6s Plus with a delivery date of September 27 for a $25 reservation fee.

Who else pre-ordered through Target? Are they legit? Can they successfully do a cross upgrade?

Any thoughts or feedback would be great. Thanks!

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
$25 non-refundable fee or a deposit? If the former, why would someone pay an extra $25 for a phone that you can still preorder will launch day delivery (in most cases).

Reactions: AJsAWiz

braddick

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
$25 non-refundable fee or a deposit? If the former, why would someone pay an extra $25 for a phone that you can still preorder will launch day delivery (in most cases).

It isn't an additional $25. That fee goes toward your balance when you pick up your reserved iPhone. It is only if you decide not to complete your agreement Target (potentially- they're pretty good about returning it actually if you ask) keeps the $25.

Ninerboy81

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2014
Murrieta, CA
The way it works at target is you reserve one and to prove your seriousness on the reservation you have to purchase a $25 gift card to target. You can used the gift card on the spot for anything you like or use it during the purchase when the phone comes in. Also target can do what you call a "buddy upgrade" but target did stop the 2 year commitment upgrades so it's hard to believe why this guy would say that. Good choice on pre ordering though because If the phone doesn't come in you can still use the gift card to buy anything there, it's target! I shop there for everything.

digitalcuriosity

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2015
Because you said you had no idea how popular they were...
Thats not what i posted. I posted i had no idea so many were wanting ,the newest and greatest new phones. Myself would still be using my Apple iPhone4 if not my service provider got hard nosed with new contract pricing. So I got a new SamsungIII and a new service provider.
Now I am back with an Apple iPhone6 and see no reason to upgrade for a touch screen item and a stronger Alloy body. Yeah i know much much more.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
It isn't an additional $25. That fee goes toward your balance when you pick up your reserved iPhone. It is only if you decide not to complete your agreement Target (potentially- they're pretty good about returning it actually if you ask) keeps the $25.
Ok, so it's a deposit. That's what I was asking. Thanks.

geoff5093

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2014
Dover, NH
Thats not what i posted. I posted i had no idea so many were wanting ,the newest and greatest new phones. Myself would still be using my Apple iPhone4 if not my service provider got hard nosed with new contract pricing. So I got a new SamsungIII and a new service provider.
Now I am back with an Apple iPhone6 and see no reason to upgrade for a touch screen item and a stronger Alloy body. Yeah i know much much more.
As I said, you must be new to Apple then. The iPhone's have always been so popular that people camp out and wait up all night to preorder.

digitalcuriosity

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2015
As I said, you must be new to Apple then. The iPhone's have always been so popular that people camp out and wait up all night to preorder.
I see people camping out every black Friday many times a Month before at BestBuys. I see them in tents sitting in chairs freezing to death.
Yes I know people have always camped out for the greatest new offering from Apple,they must really want that new Apple stuff BADLY.

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
I never knew so many people wanted these newest and greatest,new phones so badly.
Keep reading around the forums and go a month back in posts. People here start talking strategy for the best way to approach the preorder so they can increase their chances of getting a phone on launch day. What provider, what site, what model. There are polls held asking who is getting what. Then on the night of preorder its a mad rush to get into overloaded servers and get your order processed. People want the phones, badly. Many are satisfied with their current device and didn't jump on the bandwagon but many people did for the first time or to update from a previous model. I was up at 2 with a plan that will deliver my update on the 25th.

Jessem1133

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2014
Preordered from target last year. What a fiasco.
Do a search for this same topic a year ago. Long story short...they didn't deliver for many people lol.

Reactions: Surfer13134

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
Was at Target yesterday for household goods and wandered in the electronic section. Cell phone sales rep saw I was playing with the iPhone and asked if I pre-ordered phone. Told him I did (6s Plus in Space Grey with 64 gigs) through AT&T's website (only because I have an available 2 year contract upgrade; cross upgrade from a family plan) and my delivery date is mid to end of October. He was amazed and told me he still has available pre-orders available for 6s Plus with a delivery date of September 27 for a $25 reservation fee.

Who else pre-ordered through Target? Are they legit? Can they successfully do a cross upgrade?

This really depends on the the third party cellular vendor that is working at the Target store. If they are any good then they will be able to do any of the upgrades and transfers needed. If that hurdle is crossed the biggest concern is if that particular Target store gets any phones on launch day.

Keep in mind you are not pre-ordering a phone you just getting on a reservation list and you want to be first on that list for a better chance of getting a phone. If you missed the pre-order I would look into getting on several lists at different stores and if you go to target frequently the $25 'deposit' can still be spent at the store even if you don't get the phone from them.

I did this Target 'pre-order' thing with Target when the 5s came out and it worked out fine, but I also got a standard phone then too (space grey/ 16g). So best of luck if you missed the pre-order train.

jhearty99

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2012
Long Island, NY
Here is how preordering at Target works. You put down a deposit and they take your reservation. On launch day, they receive like 3 16gb silver iPhone 6s from Apple and you get a phone call saying your phone is on backorder. Best of luck.

With the supply so low on the 6s Plus, I would be shocked if any 3rd party retailers receive them anywhere near launch day.

lesliechelle

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2014
Louisiana

I did a pre-order with Target last year for the 6 Plus. I was assured that Target would send me an email saying that my phone is ready for pick up on the day of the launch. Fortunately, I went on with my plan to stand in line at Verizon to get a phone... because it was probably about TWO MONTHS later when I finally got my Target email saying I can pick up my phone.

Reactions: Surfer13134

Surfer13134

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2010
Florida
I also pre ordered from target last year as well. I accidentally slept through the preorder for Apple so I quickly got up and waited outside of target until 10 AM until the mobile guy got there. So I was the first one to preorder my phone and he basically guaranteed I would have the phone come launch day. Yep never happened. People warned me last year about target failing to come through,so I'm doing the same now. Stay away from target of you want your phone on launch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.