Anyone prefer being lied to about bars (4.0 or earlier)?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thadoggfather, Aug 2, 2010.

1. thadoggfather Suspended

thadoggfather

Strangely enough, I do. I miss 4.0 over the 4.0.1 I had to restore to after my 4.0 restore froze up using SHSH blob.

I know it makes no difference for reception, and I know that 4.0.1 reports it more accurately, and it's small, but I preferred easily attaining full bars and being lied to :p

2. Cynikal.Mindset macrumors 6502a

I kinda liked being "lied" to about the actual reception...oh well, I still mainly get full bars or 4 bars where I woulda usually still had full bars

3. Figbash Acrobat macrumors 6502a

Figbash Acrobat

I always prefer being lied to. If not, I'll just lie to myself.

4. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

I've never had a dropped call. My true reception is 4 bars, but I didn't upgrade because I enjoy looking at full bars.

5. thadoggfather thread starter Suspended

thadoggfather

Yeah i was going to stick with 4.0 but the shsh backup froze or something so i was forced to go to 4.0.1

Oh well, gonna have to get used to it. All subsequent updates are going to have an honest signal indicator.

But I'm going to go as slow or as fast as the jailbreak/unlock scene.

I need ultrasn0w for Europe in a month! Going to be there for a semester, no way I'm going to use AT&T int'l roam for that long a period of time.

6. RonHC macrumors 6502a

RonHC

4.0 made me feel beautiful until i updated to 4.0.1 which made me see the real UGLY me

7. thadoggfather thread starter Suspended

thadoggfather

it seems like they can't go back to lying with later updates, and to the average Joe, they will say what you have 3 bars? My iPhone 3GS on OS3 has full bars everywhere! It will kill off sales for non-tech "signal sticklers."

Lots of unnecessary phone swaps at the Genius bar too, costing Apple more money. All to be upfront, honest, and to lessen the effect of deathgrip attenuation as indicated by the signal meter (going from full bars that are phoney to one bar versus say 3 or 4 bars to 2 bars or so).

Also, all the competitors lie... It'll be interesting to see how this pans out over time.

Maybe it will have no effect on sales/replacement swaps and I'm overthinking things :D

8. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

9. xploit macrumors regular

Back to 4.0

Let me tell u something. My first iPhone 4 started to have some issues right after the upgrade. I wrote on this site that even after a "as new" install my iPhone surely showed less bars but also performed worse. Before I could use everywhere in my apt even places where my 3GS couldn't then I did the upgrade and no way could I even make calls from certain rooms the Bluetooth was also acting up. As the 30 day mark approached I decided to see genus bar and profess my concerns. They gave me a "new" one and sent me on my way. The new one got hot to touch and it felt different the ss antennae felt very rough. Anyway the phone had 4.0 but I tried to restore my contacts and made an error and had only the choice of installing the upgrade. Now I had a hot phone that again performed worse. I got another genius appt and asked for a NEW phone out of the box. The Chicago store mgr told me they were out of stock but assured me this one would be new. I chkd the build week and it is a 29. The one I just brought in was a 28 and my original that worked flawlessly until the upgrade was a 26. So now I have a 29 and no upgrade and it is perfect! No getting warm, super reception compared to the 3GS and a great finish ( I 4got to mention how the first exchange also somehow was muchmore prone to smudges and prints) I love this phone and there are sketchy builds out there as well as issues with the upgrade firmware

X-

10. sheppy1 macrumors 6502a

sheppy1

Meeeeeeee. I'm still rocking 4.0 over here, I'd rather not see the ugly truth :D

11. orange42 macrumors 6502a

I'm still on 4.0. I said it earlier today, I'm not buying the whole "the bars were displayed wrong" bs.

12. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

All I care about is Good or Bad reception. I rarely encounter a 'weak' zone. My 3Gs is either on or off. To heck with the bars.

13. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Hahaha, exactly!

14. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

I'm on 4.0 because I want to be lied to. I like 5 bars. They make me feel good. :D

15. Figbash Acrobat macrumors 6502a

Figbash Acrobat

:D
    Ahh...why o' why didn't I choose the blue pill?

If I'd known, I would've told Steve to shove that red pill right up his ass!

16. slicecom macrumors 68020

I was mad when Apple switched to the "lying" bars in 2.1 and I'm overjoyed this "antennagate" has forced them to go back to "honest" bars. I like knowing roughly what signal I have, otherwise bars are pretty pointless, might as well just be a square that's either on or off.

17. TroyBoy30 macrumors 68000

TroyBoy30

nope could care less about bars as long as my calls go through

18. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Although I'm not a fan of the way the new bars look, instill prefer knowing the actual truth as opposed to being lied to.

19. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

i preferred being lied to.. that's why i own Apple products.. and why i supported a WAR, all the while i thought i was being patriotic.. ignorance is BLISS.. even for cellphone signal

20. bova80 macrumors 6502a

techincally 4.0.1 is better then 4.0 for the sheer fact that it now won't drop the call with even lower db signal. i don't remember the numbers but 4.0 was like -110db where as 4.0.1 is like -120db.

21. FunkyTang macrumors 6502

For $10,000, I can update your iPhone to show 11 bars, that's right eleven bars! You will be the king of bars, whever you go.

22. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

considering I got 5 bars before and after it makes no difference to me.