Anyone prefer the Series 1 for $100 cheaper?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Kendo, Sep 8, 2016.

1. Kendo, Sep 8, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2016

Kendo macrumors 68000

Normally you have to sacrifice whenever you get a cheaper model (for example getting last year's iPhone when the new one comes out) and I was prepared for this with the AW1 once the AW2 came out. But I was pleasantly surprised to find that not only does it cost $100 less, it has the same processor as the Series 2.

I don't care about the GPS or waterproofing (I don't need an activity log to tell me I ran 30 minutes because I can keep track of the time myself and I always take off accessories when I swim).

Anyone prefer Series 1?

2. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Plenty of original AW owners aren't upgrading to Series 2 because they know they wouldn't benefit much from GPS and additional water resistance, and they're saving a lot more than $100.

3. whathesaid macrumors regular

I'm in the same boat. I was happy to pay more for Series 2 for the faster processor, but not fussed about the GPS or the waterproofing. So think I'll just jump on the Series 1 to see if the watch is for me. Then wait to see what Watch Series 3 brings.

4. rob.james.arias macrumors regular

rob.james.arias

Have a series one, since day one. Religiously upgrade iPhones annually, as well as my iPad. No desire to upgrade my watch. I guess it will be a little over 3 years when I do if the release cycle is the same until the third gen.

5. profets macrumors 68040

Honestly, I think the Apple Watch is my favourite Apple product in terms of how the line up of SKUs has been set.

I like that they're all just "Apple Watch" and think the Series 1 and Series 2 names to differentiate models is terrific. I was really worried we were going to go down a road with Apple Watch 2, Apple Watch 3, etc.

And the fact that they're differentiated by GPS/Swim-proof and not by keeping an older, slower CPU model around is excellent. I have a hard time suggesting to someone buying last year's iPhone or iPad to save some $ knowing that it'll just become obsolete sooner. Quite happy that regardless of the Watch you buy, they'll all be the most current cpu.

6. Ritte macrumors regular

Seems that the series 1 can take some water in terms of showering and a drop in the water, although not IP-classified.

The GPS is provided by my 6s+.

Is there any need for a brighter screen?

7. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

You don't actually have a Series 1, which is the original AW with an upgraded chip. You have the original AW.

8. profets macrumors 68040

Technically there's no 'need' for it, but I'm curious how it'll be outdoor on sunny days.

In terms of the water-proofing, I wouldn't worry about it unless you really intend on doing lane swimming or intensive water based sports.

9. tivoboy macrumors 68030

I'm upgrading.. sold my series 1 42mm SG sport for 245$ on ebay yesterday.. (cost me 0 as I bought two at launch and sold one.)

I think the fast processor and gpu and brighter screen will be welcomed and the GPS will be interesting. I'm just hopeful that it can be truly off off when not in use.

10. KrisLord macrumors 6502a

I've sold my AW in anticipation of getting the AW2 but I'll actually get the series 1. The faster processor is what I really want. The screen is only brighter, no other improvements and I don't recall ever thinking it needs to be brighter.

I don't swim and GPS without a data connection isn't of value to me. I'd use GPS for finding my location on a map vs my destination and that won't work without data to load maps.

11. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

It is indeed classified as IPX7, same as original AW.

12. whathesaid macrumors regular

Just to note the new series 1 has an IP rating:
    The Apple Watch Series 1 has a water resistance rating of IPX7 under IEC standard 60529. This means the watch will survive if you wash your hands while wearing it or if it gets caught in the occasional rain storm, but you should take it off when swimming.

But many people on here wear the watch when swimming and have no issues.

13. WLS macrumors 65816

I've looked at the series 1 options and was a bit disappointed to find that there are only 6 models of series 1 and they all use the plastic sport band. If you want a decent looking band like the woven nylon you have to buy that separate for $50. So when you add that in the series 1 is only $50 less than the series 2 with the nylon band. The extra $50 gets you waterproofing better display and GPS. That's a value that is hard to turn down. Unless you have extra straps to swap out, the Series 2 will be the better investment and have better resale.

14. rob.james.arias macrumors regular

rob.james.arias

Gotcha, Understood. Yes you are correct.

15. Ritte macrumors regular

Seems that series 1 only has sports watchband, any opinions on these? The nylon looks more nice, but costs about 50 dollars more and then you're halfway to a series 2.

16. redman042 macrumors 68020

How the heck did you get that much for a used Series 1 sport?

My wife and I both want to upgrade, but given how much better the Series 2 is, and the availability of a Series 1 with the better CPU for $100 less, I'm not expecting to get more than $150 for an original 38mm Sport with Sport Band and $350 for a 42mm SS with Sport Band. Minus the eBay and shipping charges, it'll be a relatively expensive upgrade to the new models.

17. profets macrumors 68040

Good point. But, although you're $50 closer to the Series 2 you do end up with 2 bands in total. Regardless, unless you're really trying to save some $ I'd go for the Series 2.

I have several sport and nylon bands. Really dig the nylon bands, find them the most comfortable of all options.

18. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

MOD NOTE

We have removed a number of bickering posts from this thread. Please ensure that this doesn't continue.

19. mpavilion macrumors 6502a

I've been curious to try the watch, and $269 feels like a more reasonable price point for something I may not love. GPS would be nice for running; but I can see myself saving $100 and getting the Series 1.