Anyone Pro owners tried the MaxConnect enclosures?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by JPamplin, Aug 5, 2009.

1. JPamplin macrumors 6502

JPamplin

These really look nice:

http://www.maxupgrades.com/istore/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=158

The MaxConnect enclosures allow you 2 additional SATA trays under the DVD-ROM bay, or even 4 trays if you want to take out the DVD entirely and use 2 ATA drives off that cable. Apparently it's a slide-in replacement for the stock DVD enclosure.

I'm seriously considering the 2-tray+DVD bay option ($89) as my next upgrade, so I can use all 6 SATA ports. Anyone had any experience with this? Are there cheaper versions of it?

JP

2. nanofrog macrumors G4

A few members have them, and they do work. :)

But if you want to save some money, and have an old optical drive lying around, you can disassemble the enclosure on it, and use one of the plates as a drive mount. DIY on the really cheap. ;)

3. JPamplin thread starter macrumors 6502

JPamplin

That's a good idea, but I'm wondering if that sort of CD enclosure will hold 2 drives. I really like the trays on that MaxConnect, they seem like they were originally designed to be there.

I guess I was wondering if there was another version of this same type of enclosure for less money. I've currently got one SATA drive mounted in the bottom CD bay with a 5.25" / 3.5" drive adapter - cheap yes, but it only holds one drive.

thanks for the input!

JP

4. aibo macrumors 6502

Is this what you're talking about? I got one last week and it works fine.

Someone posted a review/installation pics of this product a few months ago, but the model MaxUpgrades is selling now is different. It doesn't requre the riser and doesn't replace the old 5.25" housing that pops out so easily.

My only complaint is I wish the SATA cables they included had a 90° bend. They're just straight. Works fine I guess, but it's a tight fit.

5. JPamplin thread starter macrumors 6502

JPamplin

Actually, I'm referring to the MaxPro 6x dual-3.5" drive bay + DVD enclosure in the middle of the page of my first link - the one where the optical bay is retained and you can insert 2 additional 3.5" SATA drives into trays. The one you're referring to is to connect 2 2.5" laptop/SSD drives if I'm not mistaken.

JP

6. nanofrog macrumors G4

The one you're describing now is for an '09 model, and the optical bay unit is a little different than the '06 in your sig.

But the other you listed (first post, and what I commented on) will work. :)

7. wpc33 macrumors 6502

wpc33

If you have any interest in a SSD, consider a 1x3.5" option on the cheap, and put your rugged 2.5" SSD in any place it will fit(several).

8. Chad H macrumors 6502a

Chad H

I can't vouch for this product in particular but I ordered the 2.5" sled from them and it worked great! Very nice build quality.