Anyone purchased the mStand for their MBP?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by milky23, Jul 1, 2007.

1. milky23 macrumors regular

Hi there,

Has anyone got Rain Design's mStand for their MacBook Pro? How is the viewing angle of the screen when the laptop itself is angled so far downward? Does the MBP's screen open up wide enough without obstructing any airflow from the vent on the back of the notebook?

Can anyone give me their thoughts, likes, and dislikes about the product?
    Anyone with a 17" MBP try the mStand yet?

2. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

I haven't, but I'd be happy to recommend the iBreeze from MacMice (link). I like stands with fans. It's bus-powered, offers a USB port (so you don't lose the port needed to plug it into the laptop, and it keeps the machine nice and cool, even with processor-intensive tasks. Works fine on a 17", too. It's more noisy, of course, but I still recommend it.

Sorry it's not totally on topic.

3. milky23 thread starter macrumors regular

I just want to bump this thread once to make sure no one applicable missed it. Thanks!

4. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

i saw this and wondered why one would not just buy a Griffin Elevator for $10 less. the mStand does not look like it allows air to flow under the machine, which could potentially make it warmer than it should be. still, it's an attractive and functional piece of equipment.

the picture looks a little misleading in that it shows the computer's screen tilted far beyond what i think is capable for any Apple notebook. as has been the topic of many debates, Apple notebook screens only tilt back to a certain point; the picture looks to me to be beyond that point. (might just be me, though.)

i see no reason why it would not support a 17" MBP.

5. Alloye macrumors 6502a

Yes.

On my desk, it's pretty much perfect. It raises the display so that looking straight ahead, my line of sight lands in the top 1/3 of the screen. It's far more comfortable than looking down all the time.

Yes. My MBP opens enough to make the display perfectly perpendicular to my desk's surface. The exhaust vents are not obscructed in any way. In fact, my MBP runs a few degrees cooler when it's up on the stand.

It's an excellent product. The aluminum is finished to perfectly match the MBP. It's also very solid and sturdy. Be aware, however, that it really should be used with an external keyboard and mouse.

Mine is a 15.4", but I think Rain Design uses a 17" in some of the pictures.

6. milky23 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks Alloye! Is there any more room for the MBP's screen to tilt further back at that point?

Does anyone else have any experience with the mStand? Speak up!

7. Alloye macrumors 6502a

The mStand doesn't interfere with the screen tilt at all. You can open the MBP as far as the hinges will allow.

8. milky23 thread starter macrumors regular

right, but I am assuming that when using the mStand, the screen is tilted back as far as the hinge will allow?