Anyone purchasing 2.93GHz iMac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mrjosh, Mar 5, 2009.

1. mrjosh macrumors regular

Most posts I see are for base (my likely purchase) or high end 24". Is anyone getting the mid-unit (2.93GHz)? If so, why? I'm assuming it would be for the GeForce GT 120. Any other reasons?

2. PuckDaddy macrumors regular

PuckDaddy

i really see no reason for anyone to get the mid level model
    from what I understand, the older 3.06 / 8800gs is a better performer
    (aside from the ddr3... which is still an unknown)

go ahead and get the high end and get the Radeon 4850
    money much better spent

3. mrjosh thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks. I am thinking of getting the mid-range but upgrading the graphics card to the Radeon. It will save me some money over the 3.06Ghz model. I know that the 9400 would be fine for my immediate needs, but twice in the past I have gotten an integrated card (on a pc) and 2 years later, regretted the decision.

4. m.jakey macrumors newbie

I just did that for similar reasons- I ordered the 2.93 with the ATI card. I am hoping I will enjoy it. Good luck with yours!

My current Mac:

Emac
    1 Ghz PowerPC G4
    w/384 MB SDRAM
    running 10.3.9

5. mrjosh thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the reply - good to know I'm not alone in this 'strategy'.
    I hope you enjoy yours too!

6. pingin macrumors member

pingin

My strategy is the same :)

I'm planning to upgrade the hard drive as well.

7. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

I think the mid level is a MUCH better value. $400 less. And it's the same $200 to upgrade to the ATI as the high-end costs. Really, figure that in the long run the price of RAM will drop and you will be able to throw 8 GB RAM in it for $250. What a great deal. 24" beautiful display 8 GB RAM. 2.93 GHz C2D. This thing would give the low end Mac Pro a run for its money. Same max RAM and 24" display. Seems to be better value than the Mac Pro in my opinion.

Go for it.

8. Moriarty macrumors 6502

I'd go mid or high end 24 inch... in terms of graphics cards, integrated suck even for regular computing (not even videos or games). My Intel X3100 lags even when scrolling through PDF's with big images.

The nVidia 9400 won't have that problem at the moment, yet, but running an integrated graphics card at 1920*1200 is asking for trouble sometime in the future I think. Even if you aren't gaming, dedicated graphics are always better.

9. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

First, the OP asked about an iMac that doesn't include the 9400m.

I have a rev B MBA that I use as my primary computer. I connect it to a 24" Apple LED backlit Cinema Display. I can play HD video and get the most stunning images ever. That is on a rev B MBA with SSD that uses a slowed down 9400m. I have even connected it to a 30" ACD with resolution all the way up. PERFECT.

That 9400m is NOT junk. Will definitely play video and some games. Yes, it is integrated and that is not acceptable for some... But for most, they will not ever see the difference if they're not gaming. It definitely will play HD video without a problem in the world.

Not saying I think that Apple should not have dedicated RAM for the graphics, but it is a little more powerful than you have indicated. And, the 9400m is not even comparable to the old Intel 3100... that was not good.

As far as high-end, no it's not right for someone spending $1799 on a computer... but it's only included on the low-end 24" $1499 version. However, I suspect most people that buy it will be very happy with it.

Let's remember that each buyer is different, and just because the lower end iMacs use integrated graphics RAM, the 9400m is perfectly capable of driving 30" ACD, and is not going to be troubled playing graphics on a 20" or 24" iMac.

10. New Mac Convert macrumors newbie

Just got mine

I got the mid unit yesterday. I bought the 24 inch 2.8 last Sunday, added 4 GB of RAM, and then quickly brought it back when the 2.93 came out Tuesday. It was the best decision I made this week. The 4 GB DDR3 RAM alone has allowed me to see a noticeable difference in speed between from the previous model. Even the GeForce GT is an improvement over the ATI graphics card in the older model. I LOVE this machine! If you are debating it, I would say go for it! Good luck!