Anyone Purchasing the New iMac 2013 as a base model?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by jaybar, Oct 4, 2013.

1. jaybar macrumors 6502a

jaybar

Anyone purchasing the new iMac 2013 with the base model configuration?

It seems that most folks on this forum are getting BTO options and not base model. Is it b/c this site attracts more heavy duty users? What about those folks who are and will continue to be "light users" (email, internet, view photos, play music, word processing)?

Thanks

Jay

2. Bear macrumors G3

If the 21.5" screen is fine for you and what you are using the computer for won't tax the base model, all I would suggets is getting either the Fusion Drive or the SSD option. Also, since the 21.5" model (2012 and 2013) is not designed to have the memory be user upgradeable, if you feel you'll need more than 8GB of memory, upgrade that as well.

The memory not being user upgradeable is one issue causing BTO and the other is that the hard drive by itself is slow since it's only a 5400RPM drive.

3. macs4nw macrumors 601

macs4nw

I'm not sure how you've come to that conclusion. Keep in mind that other than through using the services of OWC or such, post-purchase upgradeability of the newer iMacs, especially the 21.5" model, is virtually non-existent, so unless the base model meets all of your needs for at least the next couple of years, BTO is the way to go. Look at it as a bit of future-proofing.

For 'light users', as you describe them, the base models are more than capable enough.

4. jg321 macrumors 6502

Agree with Bear. I've gone for base + 256 SSD, to complement my 2011 base 13" MBP. I think it'll serve me well for a the next 3 years at least.

5. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

You can of course run an SSD in an external enclosure as a pseudo SSD upgrade. But as others have said, user RAM upgrades are a no go.

6. mrmarts macrumors 65816

Like the others here mentioned the only mod i recommend is the fusion drive to help boot times, read and write performance, and of course shut down times. I do believe Apple stores sell a base model with the fusion drive pre configured so there is no wait times hope this helps enjoy your mac.

7. travistaylor macrumors regular

I bought the $1,999 27" model last night at the Apple Store.

I must say, this thing is blowing me away. However, it's also worth noting that I am not really pushing this machine- I totally could have 'gotten away' with the base model 27". I wanted to future proof myself for an extra 6 months... haha

I needed the 27" to use in TGD for my wife's MacBook Pro- and I figured the extra couple hundred bucks was worth it.

I may end up wishing that I had sprung for a Fusion Drive, or the i7- but the fact is, I game about once every 6 months (StarCraft 2), I barely use Photoshop, and I have no plans to do any video editing. This is strictly a computer to store a wealth of music, photos, videos, etc- and I didn't think the speed in which I could access the data would make much of a difference...

Anyway, I've fallen victim to buying extra options that I didn't need in a computer plenty of times. Unless you are planning to do some heavy hitting- get one of the models that are stocked in the Apple Store and never look back. Most likely, you'll never even miss the extra options.

8. Hamburger macrumors regular

I guess it depends on what you have had before.
    The base 21.5" would easily be enough for me, but coming from a late 2010 MBA a return to HDD from SSD would have been a downgrade. So I chose the 256 SSD and I am extremely happy after five days with my new iMac.
    If I hadn't had the MBA I would have likely just ordered the base with its HDD.

9. Bear macrumors G3

Actually at this point I would get a CTO no matter what - I would get the wired keyboard and the trackpad which wouldn't change the cost of the system. And as you said each persons actual needs differ and I would actually get the 27" with Fusion Drive and 780M.

10. Brian Y macrumors 68040

Everybody's needs are different.

For me, a 21 would be too small, so I'd get the 27. I'd want an i7, so that's the higher one with an upgraded CPU. The RAM I'd upgrade myself (fine on the 27) so Id just stick with the base for that. I'd then add the fusion and then split it so I have an SSD for OS and a HDD for data.

11. jg321 macrumors 6502

I totally agree with this. The SSD doesn't just help with boot times, it makes the entire system feel snappier and more usable. I'd never go back, and have just got the 256 SSD.

I'm guessing you mean target display mode (TDM)? If so, you can use the a 2011 or later model* 21.5". In fact, I plan to do this. Are there other options than paying a small fortune for the genuine Apple TB cable?

Regarding i7 - if you don't do any of the things you mention, it'll not be any quicker. My work Mac is an i7, and it's no quicker than the equivalent i5 for the things I do. Regarding the fusion drive though, as said, it does make a huge diff (SSD or FD). You can always add an external SSD though, as has also been said somewhere else.

Either way, I'm sure you'll remain delighted. Such excellent machines.

*see http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3924?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US