Anyone put Mavericks on a MacBook Pro 4,1?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mikes70mustang, Jan 1, 2014.

1. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

I have a mid 2008 MBP 4,1 with 4 gb of ram and multitouch. Is there anyone else out there with the same computer that has installed Mavericks. If so, how well does it run?

2. BrettApple macrumors 65816

BrettApple

There's plenty of people running it out there. I've found a few threads by searching.

Anyway, I've got it on a Mid 2007 MacBook Pro (3,1) with essentially the same specs, 2.4GHz SR C2D, 4GB RAM, 256MB 8600m, and a 120GB SSD.

It runs great, course I have an SSD in it, so that helps. But when I had the stock HDD in, it was fine. I don't know if there's anything I could complain about. Runs about the same as my Late '08 and my 2010 MBP as far as most usage is concerned. Boots in 20 seconds, runs Photoshop CS6 great and flies through Bridge.

I had Snow Leopard on it and I haven't noticed much of a difference in speed, just has more features, iCloud, etc.

3. mikes70mustang thread starter macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

Well that's good to know. I just didn't know if the ram and the fact that it's a C2D would matter. I have a momentous XT so it seems like it might be ok.

4. viktormadarasz macrumors member

Macbook Pro 4.1 Mavericks Temps and Minimum RAM

Hi

Indeed I´ve just installed Mavericks 10.9.1 on a Macbook Pro 4.1. It only has 2GB of RAM (Should be soon 4GB). It runs ok but memory usage is on 90% all the time even idle so 4 GB must be minimum to be comfortable with it...But anyway works correctly no issue.

Once We are about Macbook Pro 4.1´s...What temperatures are Yours running at? What is considered normal?

This one runs on 47-50 C at idle (Fans at default 2000) and CPU Stressed from Terminal ,,Yes" test running a couple of minutes idles out at 88 C (fans still default do not kick in on their on... Manually iStat kick them to 6000RPM cools it down around 73-74 C

So these temps considered btw the normal limits for this model? Or should I bring it to be changed its thermal paste under the heatsink?

Thanks,

Viktor:apple:

5. BrettApple macrumors 65816

BrettApple

I'd say 4GB RAM is minimum and best for the money. You can do 6GB but with DDR2 it's not so practical in the expense dept.

As far as temps, mine were around 85-100 (F) when Idle. And about 125 when browsing the web in Chrome and such. Playing flash video and netfilix or games would bring it up to 170-190 but the fans would kick in and even it out around 160 for hours on end. This is after reapplying the thermal paste with some Arctic Silver 5. I did everything I could to help keep that GPU cool. And I usually have SMC fan control running to keep it even.

6. viktormadarasz, Jan 18, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2014

viktormadarasz macrumors member

Sound like mine is overheating terribly. btw your idle and mine is nearly 10-20+ C degrees difference.

Can I take this info granted?meaning that Max CPU C is till 105 C worst case scenario?
    http://ark.intel.com/products/33099/Intel-Core2-Duo-Processor-T8300-3M-Cache-2_40-GHz-800-MHz-FSB

based on Intels info this CPU Can safely go even till 100C degrees (105C is the Max )

Still strange Fans kick in at 96 C Degree but at least they do.... (under 100% Prime95 load) and settle at 86 C degree and Fans at 5400-5500 Rpm)

I will check some Apple Authorized Service partner here in Spain how much it'd cost me to fix this cleanin and reapplying the thermal paste (even changing the heatsink if thats necessary)

Meanwhile I have to order 2x 2GB RAM for Maverick's

7. Bigsargewaymo7 macrumors newbie

Bigsargewaymo7

What method did you use?

I have been beating myself up trying to find a way to install Mavericks on my 2.4Ghz Macbook 4,1. I even upgraded it to 4GB of RAM for the upcoming install. I have tried MLPostFactor but that doesn't seem to be working. Maybe i will reserach that again. But how were you able to install Mavericks? I am pretty tech savvy so I should be able to handle what you throw at me. Thanks for your time broham!

Craig

8. BrettApple macrumors 65816

BrettApple

As far as I am aware, there is no way to get mavericks on a MacBook pre Late 2008. The 64-bit video drivers for the intel cards (950/X3100) simply aren't there. There is a way for ML, but the drivers aren't good so it's not really worth it.

If you need iCloud, Lion is perfectly fine, though I find Snow leopard to be more responsive and run cooler due to lessened GPU use. I just bought an early '08 on eBay to use for school and work and plan on running snow leopard for the rest of its lifetime.

9. SlCKB0Y macrumors 68040

SlCKB0Y

Before you go spending money, I'd ask the other poster what the ambient air temperature was when those measurements were made. CPU's run hotter in warmer climates.

10. beaumk macrumors member

my only suggestion for this is do not upgrade...

11. mikes70mustang thread starter macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

I upgraded. Seemed like nothing would work that I wanted to do. It seems to run fine. But I do have a momentus XT hdd. I haven't had memory, heat, etc issues so far.