Anyone put new loctite on when replacing HD?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by camshaft, Aug 7, 2009.

1. camshaft macrumors newbie

Hey guys,
    When I opened my MBP I saw the blue loctite on the screws. As a car guy I go by the general rule that when you remove a loctited screw you clean it off and reapply some. I don't see people on here doing so though. Is there a specific reason or do people just not bother? (To anyone considering putting new loctite back on though, don't accidentally use the red one!)

Thanks,
    Austin

2. xpovos macrumors 6502a

xpovos

Once the drive is placed, there's no real way for the screws to loosen enough to cause a problem, even if there were enough vibration to make it happen. Another application of Loctite wouldn't serve any real purpose, as far as I can tell.

3. fehhkk macrumors 6502a

fehhkk

Yeah, I saw the blue loctite. I didn't put it back on any screw, even though I have some. If I ever see one of the bottom case screws becoming loose, I will apply... No issues so far without it.

4. RITZFit macrumors 65816

RITZFit

yup, no need. my computer has been fine since I opened it up about a yr. and a half ago. Plus I doubt the computer is going to be producing any vibrations significant enough to really need thread lock

5. andersonmattt macrumors member

andersonmattt

I opened my i7 up a few months ago to swap out the hd. Ever since i have, three screws on the bottom left corner come loose after some use. it usually isn't a problem because i have an incase hardshell on it, so there's nowhere for them to go. The loctite that i bought says 125 lb strength. would this be too much to put on to keep the screws in place?

6. DrivenDaily macrumors newbie

125 lb-in? Is that breakaway torque or prevailing torque? Seems way too high to be something reasonable to loosen with a screwdriver later on.

Blue is designed to be removed with hand tools and should breakaway easily with a screwdriver when used on zinc plated screws like the ones on the unibody and newer MBPs.

Heavier duty ones (red loctite) are designed to be removed with heat and I doubt you want to break out a torch near your hard drive...:rolleyes:

TBH you should be fine just torquing your existing ones down a bit more. I've swapped many drives in the past and never had issue with screws coming loose. Poor hole-screw tolerance may be at play in your situation.

7. andersonmattt macrumors member

andersonmattt

Yeah, its the blue 242 loctite. I guess I'll just dab a little on and hope for the best, Thanks

8. srshaw macrumors 6502

I wouldn't be putting loctite on something so delicate. I would think you could easily mangle the screw heads trying to get them undone.

Apple don't install macs using loctitie, so it shouldn't be needed.