Anyone receive SanDisk SSDs in their rMBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cmonroe, Dec 18, 2012.

1. cmonroe macrumors member

I had my original 15in CTO machine replaced due to screen ghosting and luckily the replacement came with a Samsung display. While checking to make sure the machine was configured correctly I noticed the disk was an "APPLE SSD SD512E" rather than a SM512E like my original model. Benchmark wise it's a tad slower on the write side (10-20MB/s) but a tad faster on the read side. I know the SM512E is basically a Samsung 830, does anyone have an idea what the SD512E is? It benchmarks like a SanDisk Extreme SSD. No real complaints so far but I find it odd that no one else has posted about this.

I believe my machine was built during week 48 as it shipped 12/6 and arrived 12/7.

Anyway, something to keep an eye out for. Are SanDisk SSDs better/worse than the alternative? I know benchmarks aren't everything and I don't notice a difference in day to to day use but Apple must really be driving away from Samsung (granted the SanDisk SSD has a Samsung chip on it). Pics attached for those who are curious.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      432.8 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      525.7 KB
      Views:
  2. boto macrumors 6502

boto

Someone mentioned this a while back and I'm sure Apple is intentionally trying to avoid purchasing only one vendor, Samsung. Also, what are the exact average values of your SSD performance? I'm interested in comparing to the Samsung 830s.

3. N19h7m4r3 macrumors 65816

N19h7m4r3

Samsung are known to make very reliable SSD's, a long with Intel because of their own controllers.

I have no real experience with SanDisk SSD's at allthough, but considering the difference in speeds it doesn't look bad at all.

As always make sure you make good backups and test to see if those backups work, just in case the reliability isn't up there with Samsung. Otherwise do just enjoy the machine.

4. Hexley macrumors 6502a

From a supply chain point of view that's a very good strategy especially when you are during each other.

5. ucsdmac macrumors 6502

ucsdmac

15' retina macbook pros (mid 2012 and early 2013) have a strange fan issue where it spikes up at random times. There's speculation that it is due to a mismatch firmware of the SanDisk SSD (only those with sandisks are affected). You can read through the long thread here: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4735947?start=0&tstart=0

It's an on going issue and Apple have note acknowledge it yet.

6. maxosx macrumors 68020

My most recent 15" MBPr has a SanDisk SSD.

Even under light usage, suddenly for no apparent reason the fans will race up to full speed. Stay there for a minute or two then decelerate back to normal. It's very irritating and quite loud. Not to mention that Apple has no idea what it is, in their words.

At least they have said to some of us with these configurations, that they are working on it. The issue seems to be dependent on who you get on the phone. I've escalated the call twice only to feel like someone is stalling. Who knows...

7. cmonroe thread starter macrumors member

Does this only apply to the latest rev of rMBP or the first rev as well? I did the test in the forum link above and didn't notice the fans come on, however the performance of the SanDisk SSD is total crap compared to the Samsung.

8. iPhonesandMacs macrumors regular

Model: APPLE SSD SM256E Is what my early 2013 13" reads

9. ClassObject macrumors 6502

ClassObject

huh? blah blah blah

10. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

I bought one of the 512GB Sandisks from this forum, not knowing it was a Sandisk, swapped it into my rMBP which is a mid 2012 2.3, and I'm now noticing the same issue. It never occurred with the 256gb Samsung that I had been using up until now. I think it's safe to say that it definitely seems like the Sandisk that's done it.

11. Rics macrumors newbie

In which way is totally crap? Just noticed that my rMBP have sandisk 512hd, but hell, i find it all incredibly fast, from os startup and applications launch...of course never had the possibility to compare with a samsung ssd drive.
    Anyway i can't at this level of velocity what could be the difference...

12. natted macrumors newbie

natted

I picked up a 15" 2013 rMBP today. It has the Sandisk 512GB SSD and a Samsung panel.

Umm, the Sandisk included in the Macbook Pro retina offers comparable performance to the Samsung 830.

The fan issue seems to be a pain although I imagine it will be fixed with an update in the coming months.

13. jamezr macrumors G3

jamezr

I have the Sandisk 256 in my 2013 rMBP and have had one issue so far. Speed is awesome and no fan issues. I also have the Samsung panel. Fastest machine i have ever had.....

14. franktopia, Mar 11, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2013

franktopia macrumors newbie

Blackmagic Performance benchmark for Samsung and Sandisk

Hi,
    Here is my comparison of SM256 vs SD512
    Sandisk has a faster read (30mb +). and write is a little bit slower or on par with Samsung.

Samsung 256 Benchmark (first one)

Sandisk 512 Benchmark (2nd one)

Attached Files:

15. lfg macrumors newbie

Got my rMBP 15 today, as it looks I also have a SanDisk 512GB SSD. Straight after setting the machine up I encountered that fan issue – it just gets the fans on full tilt for a couple of seconds and then gets back to quiet mode. Saw this a couple of times today afterwards. Weird, weird. I guess I'll just watch it happen but as long as it's a software kind of thing we can hope it'll get fixed very soon... Had lots of SanDisk storage of all kinds in the last years, they never failed me, let's hope that'll stay that way. Oh, I got a Samsung panel as well.
    Best

16. B... macrumors 68000

B...

Check out the new SMC update from Apple, designed to fix the fan issue.

17. lfg macrumors newbie

Thanks, yeah, I just saw that in the Apple thread shortly after I posted this... Just installed it, should be good to go. Hope it stays as silent as it is now. :)