Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JerTheGeek

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 15, 2014
Hello everyone,
I am super excited for Yosemite and for the public beta, and i am wondering if anyone has received their codes for the beta yet. I know it isn't yet July but it has been almost a month since Apple announced it and it seems like now would be considered "Summer." Just curious if anyone has received their codes yet.
JerTheGeek

Planey28

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2010
Birmingham, UK
Nope. I would expect articles outlining that people had started to receive them on sites like MR if not some sort of indication on apples site.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Hello everyone,
I am super excited for Yosemite and for the public beta, and i am wondering if anyone has received their codes for the beta yet. I know it isn't yet July but it has been almost a month since Apple announced it and it seems like now would be considered "Summer." Just curious if anyone has received their codes yet.
JerTheGeek

It has been summer for all of 5 days, relax. It'll probably be another month or so. Either way, its summer until september 20ish, so they have plenty of time to make their commitment. Not that they owe anything...

smartalic34

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2006
USA
Apple has only released two Developer Previews so far, both of which are extremely buggy. The public beta is designed to flush out more minor bugs (just like with the current Mavericks beta program) - we'll probably have to wait through another couple of DP's before Apple decides Yosemite is ready for public (beta) consumption... and yes, sites like MacRumors will have an article up about it within a couple minutes of people receiving their codes - I don't see any reason for Apple to stagger it, so you'll probably get your code at the same time as everyone else...

Duff-Man

Contributor
Dec 26, 2002
Albuquerque, NM
Duff-Man says...I think you'll know when codes are given out - there will immediately be about 20 threads about it (in addition to the already existing "when is the public beta coming" ones)....oh yeah!

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
If you are that excited for it, its very easy to get your hands on the developer preview and install it. I am not a developer and I have been using it with no issues since it was announced... I even got DP2 as an update through the software update in osx. easy peasy

Cythth

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2013
Lake Jackson, TX
The sign-up for the Public Beta is still accepting applications. Either Apple hasn't hit a million requests; or, they are just keeping it open to gauge interest. Regardless, I haven't received any notifications. I do receive Beta releases for Mavericks.

hoodedwarbler12

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2012
Tennessee
I haven't received anything yet. I don't want to get the developer one because it's either $100 for a dev program account or mildly illegal, but I'm running out of patience. :cool:

nbnbxdnb

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2010
Apple has only released two Developer Previews so far, both of which are extremely buggy. The public beta is designed to flush out more minor bugs (just like with the current Mavericks beta program) - we'll probably have to wait through another couple of DP's before Apple decides Yosemite is ready for public (beta) consumption... and yes, sites like MacRumors will have an article up about it within a couple minutes of people receiving their codes - I don't see any reason for Apple to stagger it, so you'll probably get your code at the same time as everyone else...

current Mavericks beta program...:D:D:D:D
He is right. Not that Apple doesn't know how to rush things or that they haven't done any, but majority of average users wouldn't like to see a buggy public beta as it is now.

jg321

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2012
UK
My experience with Yosemite, running on a 13" rMBP:

DP1 - slow, like something was wrong. Took ages to start up, screen flashing when clicking menus etc.

DP2 - quicker, much more fluid.

Both look really nice, especially on the retina screen. However...

Other than the looks, I struggled to see anything different. Ended up putting iOS 8 on my iPad to test Continuity.

Rolled laptop back to Mavericks, and iPad back to iOS 7. IMO, no point running anything prior to public release until all the cloud features are there to hook everything together. This release seems to be much more about the "whole experience" than killer features in their own right.

I realise that none of the above will make you any more patient to try it out though!

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2009
I got an update in the app store for a pre-release version of OSX. I got really excited, and spent an hour backing up my system. Installed, rebooted, and realized that I was participating in the early release version for Mavericks.

But I'm thoroughly enjoying these driver updates. So I got that going for me.

haydn!

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2008
UK
I'm guessing it won't happen for a few more beta's yet. It will likely be 1 or 2 versions before the GM when it's pretty much the finished product.

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
The sign-up for the Public Beta is still accepting applications. Either Apple hasn't hit a million requests; or, they are just keeping it open to gauge interest. Regardless, I haven't received any notifications. I do receive Beta releases for Mavericks.

Hmm, that's interesting. I definitely would have thought they'd have hit 1,000,000 beta registrations by now. Got mine in a few minutes after the keynote ended! :D

Jordan246

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2014
Osx Yosemite public beta

Does anybody know hereof when the osx Yosemite public beta will begin I'm just wondering

Nov 28, 2010
located
In the summer, probably when it is stable enough for those non-developers to use on a daily basis, as most people forget, what a beta is, even when downloading it illegally.

Dj64Mk7

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2013
Yosemite Public Beta run could happen 7/22/14 then GM Launch of Yosemite 10/20/14..

7/29/14 Yosemite Public Beta run then GM Launch of Yosemite 10/27/14

With the new Handoff and Continuity features, wouldn't it make sense for iOS 8 and OS X Yosemite to be released around the same time?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.