Anyone received 8800GT? Or at least have it shipped?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Gloor, Jan 15, 2008.

1. Gloor macrumors 6502a

Has anyone received MP with 8800GT? What is your status?

2. exspes macrumors member

Well.. the theory that the delay was because of 10.5.2 is, sort of debunked. At least there was no 10.5.2 at MWSF :confused:

Now I'm beginning to think my Feb 21st estimate will be real. Ugh.

3. newtech macrumors 6502

If it is a supply problem I offer my service to Apple to flash cards from my home if they just give me a copy of the UEFI 64 ROM. :p

4. viltsu macrumors member

Have you noticed that 8800GT´s shipping time has increased. It´s now 7 weeks! :mad:

5. Gloor thread starter macrumors 6502a

I still get 3-5 weeks on US and UK.

6. casw1000 macrumors member

Has the price dropped as well. I am sure I was speccing a Mac Pro with the 8800GT and I was sure the price *was* £220, I have checked today and the price is £130. I know this is an upgrade price but I am sure it was more.

If I am wrong, fair enough.

This is great news if I am right. Did anyone else notice this?
    -casw1000

7. cal6n macrumors 68000

cal6n

Price is still £220 on the Apple Store for me.

In other news, mine's due to ship on 18th Jan, with delivery on or before 22nd.

Not holding my breath, though... :rolleyes:

8. casw1000 macrumors member

When I went to customize the mac pro, I looked at the 8800GT and it says £130. I thought I saw this at the price £220 before the expo. Either way, I think its a good card for osx and booting into XP/Vista for decent gaming. IMO

-casw1000

9. macpants macrumors member

Patience is tiresome

I am beginning to wish I'd ordered my Mac Pro with a standard card. In my heart of hearts I know that the 8800 is the one to go for.

I suppose I will just have to be patient. My ship date is still 12th Feb but it seems like forever. (Thats assuming apple store UK honour that date)

I was also under the impression that the problem was not the supply of hardware but a driver issue to be resolved in the 10.5.2 upgrade.

Does anyone know the real answer?

10. cal6n macrumors 68000

cal6n

Misunderstanding, here. £220 is the price of the upgrade card as an after-market part. £130 is for a BTO option.

11. casw1000 macrumors member

Thanks for clearing that up. IMO that £130 is a good upgrade. The performance of the newer Ati cards are not all that great, so buying as a BTO and having to wait a bit longer will be worthy.

Those who opted for the 8800GT, enjoy.

12. SolrFlare macrumors regular

It's a fun waiting game isn't it :p Honestly I don't mind as I know I'll be really happy once it does arrive. It would be nice, however, to get an official word as to why there is a delay, if anything to satisfy my curiosity lol. Of course, I doubt we will hear anything specific as we 8800gt Mac Pro users are a very small segment and I'm sure apple doesn't want to swing a spotlight on anything other than positive news.

13. Doug5050 macrumors newbie

I've ordered an Mac Pro configured with the 8800 card. I was told by the UK reseller I placed my order with that Apple are prioritising the 8800 cards for configured machines. They gave be an estimated shipping date of 5-10 days for the Mac but if the card is ordered on its own they are quoting about 5 weeks.

Doug

14. SolrFlare macrumors regular

That would be nice if true, but I've yet to see any evidence of that being the case unless this is something they just implemented.

15. twitch macrumors newbie

Yeah.... apple store still says "shipping within 24 hours" for systems with the ATI card.... I went for the ATI to get it faster because I need it before i change jobs on the 30th (even got it shipped to my current office :p).

I just got an email saying it's been delayed and will be shipping from the 18th-22nd and arriving on the 22nd-30th.... I even paid extra for 2-3 day expedited shipping.... I'm not sure how apple does their calculations but if it ships on the 22nd and arrives on the 30th that's 5 business days and a weekend so I'll definitely be asking for the expedited shipping charge back if it transpires that way. If it's not here in five weeks i'm going to harp on them to let me pay the difference and get the 8800gt that i would've put in the BTO if the ship date without it hadn't said "1-2 days".

I ordered mine about 1 hour after they went live on the store..... (the 8th. It's the 16th now...1-2 days what?)

-Twitchy

16. dblester macrumors member

my estimated ship date is feb 21! im not looking forward to this wait!

17. Gloor thread starter macrumors 6502a

18. kittiyut macrumors regular

kittiyut

I ordered the FX5600 and that pushed the ship date out to Feb 20.
    They have stock problems with that card as well? Or it is due to
    10.5.2 delay?:confused:

KK

19. ildondeigiocchi macrumors 6502a

ildondeigiocchi

Hope you enjoy that card but if you purcahsed it for gaming you'll be disapointed because it isn't a high end gaming video card like the NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT. :apple::apple::):apple:

20. noi375 macrumors member

Actually, unless you are doing HD decoding (as 8800GT has some of those use hardware based decoding, as FX5600 lack hardware based decoding of HD), FX5600 is faster than 8800GT.

21. ildondeigiocchi macrumors 6502a

ildondeigiocchi

When I get the new Mac Pro with the Nvidia 8800GT in March (when I'll be ordering) I will post a video or pictures using FRAPS on my windows partition of the Mac Pro playing CRYSIS, FSX, S.T.A.L.K.E.R., COD4 and many others...Can't wait to play crysis on a 30" ACD:):):apple::apple::)

22. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Yeah, Crysis on a 30" ACD with one graphics card? Good luck getting two frames a second on very low. :rolleyes::D

23. Hypnotoad macrumors newbie

still waiting...

I also ordered a MP with the 8800GT on Jan 8th and my order status still says "Ships by Feb 13." Now I'm wondering if I should cancel and reorder with the stock ATI card... I might be playing a game or two, and doing some video editing, but I suppose the ATI card will be more than adequate, no? I plan on getting a 30" LCD (there again I don't know how long I can wait for Apple to either drop the price or refresh the product).
    Has anyone been using the new MP with a 30" display enough to tell if that card is good enough? From what I've read around the web it's kind of a mediocre card, by today's standards...

24. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

The base ATI card does a better job at offloading the processors than the Geforce 8800GT.

25. noi375 macrumors member

Haven't read the CPU usage comparing ATI card and 8800GT, so I don't know whether that is true or not, I am just saying in terms of game performance, FX 5600 will outperform 8800GT. The only "Advantage" that I know of for 8800GT against FX5600 is the decoding, as they have the hardware to offload to - FX5600 have to do almost everything (or CPU).