Anyone received a 15" MBP with the 2.96CPU yet?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by golfhero, Mar 10, 2009.

1. golfhero macrumors member

I'm on my third exchange for terrible backlight bleeding and flickering at low brightness levels. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Apple has finally made some improvements to the screens on the latest batch of 15" with the new 2.96ghz CPUs? Anyone received theirs yet who can comment?

2. eddietr macrumors 6502a

Just set mine up today (2.93 MBP 15")

The only problem so far is that I got a physically malformed restore DVD! Fortunately, my MP was able to read the disk (slowly) and I burned a new disc and the MBP was able to boot from it and so that problem was solved.

But other than that, the screen looks fine. I haven't used it enough to trigger any potential flickering I think. But we'll see over the course of the next few days.

3. golfhero thread starter macrumors member

Finally, a 15" Unibody that is almost perfect!

After my third return, my new 2.96ghz UMBP arrived this morning. My first one in December had terrible flickering and backlight bleeding, second one still had flickering and backlight bleeding from one side and spotlighting across the bottom - I was prepared for another bad screen (and about to give up) but was pleasantly surprised to find the new model is perfect! I'm so glad I didn't give up and did another exchange.

Brief summary:
    - Battery cover is solid - no give
    - keyboard is perfect - all keys level and straight
    - no dents or scratches - casing is perfect and even when closed
    - best of all the display is amazing - not a glimmer of backlight bleeding or flickering.
    - Only issue I have found so far is not great results on the inversion tests at www.lagom.nl but the display is such an improvement over the last two I'm still happy.

Popped my seagate 500gb 7200RMP drive into the machine and it flies...

Hard to judge with just one sample, but here is hoping that Apple has worked out the quality kinks with some of the earlier units and other users will receive similar machines with great displays...

4. genmic macrumors regular

Good to hear that there are perfect machines out there. The one I have right now has a horrible battery cover, crooked top row of keys, and a mis-aligned trackpad, but I wouldn't care if I could just get a screen that doesn't flicker!

Here's to hoping my replacement turns out like yours!

5. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

i got lucky i guess. mine was perfect the 1st time around.

did you order yours online or buy it from a store?

6. NickM macrumors 6502

Same here. Although I did waste a coupe weeks with a few deadbeat sellers (and was completely protected and reimbursed by PayPal), I got my new 15" MBP through eBay and saved about $700 compared to what I would have paid in-store.
    Crooked keys?? That is nuts. How can keys be crooked?
    No scratches, screen flickering, or overheating over here... yet. My fingers are crossed in hopes that no problems arise.

7. golfhero thread starter macrumors member

I purchased mine online from Apple - 2.8ghz BTO eventually replaced with a 2.96ghz...

8. genmic macrumors regular

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=597669&highlight=slanted+keys

The crooked/slanted keys are a known imperfection with some unibody MBP's. Some are obviously worse than others; I had one MBP where it looked like the whole top row of key's was doing the wave. Not really a big deal, but well the keys are obviously supposed to be level.

9. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

im glad i didnt have to do that. i am very lucky and have 4 apple stores within driving distance:) the one on newbury st in boston is amazing!!

10. eddietr macrumors 6502a

I think most of the time on forums you hear the problems more than the ones that came out fine.

Mine is 2.93, and the only two issues I've had are:

1.) My restore disc wasn't good (physically malformed)
    2.) There is a slight alignment problem on the front right hand side when you close the case. It's so slight it wouldn't even be worth my time to take it back.

but the screen and keyboard (which are the most important thing to me) are great. And no scratches or anything like that (good thing because a scratch would really bother me.)

11. TheSVD macrumors 6502a

TheSVD

Mines been perfect :D
    Well, i did need a new logic board but that was my fault :p
    Before and after, perfect screen, fans, keys, battery cover, the lot :D

12. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

I'm always interested by threads such as these that describe problems people have had with their machines, because I've never had a machine from Apple that isn't absolutely perfect, including my new 15" MBP.
    However, all my Apple Kit has been bought through the Business store and most of it is CTO - I'm beginning to wonder if they have a higher level of QA for purchases from the Business Store or if it's the CTO that kicks in a higher QA level...